Black Tea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
When somebody says Black Tea, what comes to your mind? In the last couple of weeks, three different times, three different places I was asked if I would like tea or coffee.
-Tea please, was my answer.
-What kind of tea would you like, Sir?
-Plain Black Tea would be great.
All three times I got a dumb stair: What do you mean Black Tea?
Well, to me Black Tea is any black tea, English Breakfast tea is black, Earl Grey is black, plain old Lipton tea in the big yellow box is black, Red Rose is black, there are numerous no-name brands you get in school or work cafeterias that are plain black teas. Pretty much anything that is not fruit or berry flavored teas, or not green teas are in fact black teas.

So, I ask you, what comes to your mind if you hear those two words: Black Tea.

To me, black tea is as you described, Charlie. However, most people don't know it as "black tea". If you want Lipton or Red Rose or noname, it is usually referred to as "Orange Pekoe" (which is a type of black tea as are "Earl Grey" and "English Breakfast").

It is kind of ironic that the tea most people have drunk all their lives is not a common name, yet they will know "green tea", "red tea" (rooibos), "herbal tea, etc. ;)

Good topic, gives me something to think about over my cup of Vanilla Rooibos! :LOL:

In the south they look at you like that if you even order hot tea. It is becoming slightly more prevalent since I moved here in 1996, but around here if you say "tea" it means iced tea.

Yes black tea means just as you have said Charlie . I don't come across many who drink just black tea but I would know what it meant .

I do love a cup of tea, milk in mine please .:)

Here is Boston, if you want coffee you just say 'regular.' If it is to go you say, 'large regular.' You don't even use the word 'coffee.' Regular means with milk and sugar. I always get a large light with extra sugar.

If you want tea, they will bring you a cup of hot water with a tea bag on the saucer or a small tea pot with hot water and the tea bag on the saucer. The milk is in a little pitcher on the side. Sugar is on the table. If to go, you say, "tea with milk and sugar.' They put the tea bag in the hot water with the milk and sugar. You know enough to wait for it to steep before you open it. If you want ice tea, you have to ask for ice tea. It comes without sugar or milk. You have to ask for that separately. :angel:

Barbara -- and five will get you ten it's Sweet tea :LOL:

Charlie, I'm a tea drinker too. And coffee. and water and and...

If you order black tea, I would understand it most likely to mean Lipton. Or whatever brand they have that is similar. If you just order Tea or Hot Tea, you would get the same, without them questioning what is black tea. In US, it's coffee, no one questions if you order Black coffee. I think we just don't serve as much tea, so it's unfamilar territory.

At most Chinese restaurants, you get whatever one they choose to have. Or green. or Iced. Perhaps at an upscale Chinese restaurnnt they specify Oolong, Jasmine, Chrysanthemum etc and have choices.

Also Black tea to me means No milk. I am not sure we put milk / cream in tea in the US to the extent they do elsw-where, more often a slice of lemon/ or lots of people use a sweetener. You have to drag that slice of lemon out of them with hot tea at a restaurant. And they probably secretly roll their eyes behind your back if you asked for tea and honey. Just go with it make it your own way at home.

At some hotel restaurants I have been offered choices, esp Earl grey and they have presentation "boxes" to choose a flavor, make a big deal about it and include a few herbal teas in there too. Both Twinings and Stash tea have variety boxes the hotels use. But it's rare that I stay at a hotel, so this may not count in the regular everyday world of the tea drinker.

Barbara -- and five will get you ten it's Sweet tea :LOL:...
I was just thinking that I should have added that to what I wrote! It took James the longest time to learn how to order "unsweet tea!" He kept saying "regular" and of course regular here meant sweet!

I love sweet Luzianne iced tea, but in the winter I do love a nice spiced hot tea (any black variety) or green tea. Occasionally I like a nice herbal tea as well.

I agree with Charlie's definition of black tea as well. :cool:

I was just thinking that I should have added that to what I wrote! It took James the longest time to learn how to order "unsweet tea!" He kept saying "regular" and of course regular here meant sweet!

I love sweet Luzianne iced tea, but in the winter I do love a nice spiced hot tea (any black variety) or green tea. Occasionally I like a nice herbal tea as well.

I agree with Charlie's definition of black tea as well. :cool:
--
I have heard Luzianne makes itself into a good ice tea. I have also heard Walmart carries it, but have not seen it in local walmart.

I think my favorite all purpose black tea, hot or cold, is Bigelow's Constant Comment. A little hint of cinnamon and orange.

--
I have heard Luzianne makes itself into a good ice tea. I have also heard Walmart carries it, but have not seen it in local walmart.

I think my favorite all purpose black tea, hot or cold, is Bigelow's Constant Comment. A little hint of cinnamon and orange.
Luzianne is absolutely the best! Whenever I go back to California I bring my daughter several boxes! It is available online, but you might be able to do a search for a store nearby, which would be cheaper.

I love Canadian Red Rose, it is much stronger tea than the Red Rose you get here. Love it.

--

Oh, I love that tea (Constant Comment)! I can't have any caffeinated or decaffeinated teas anymore, but that was always my favourite - the one positive thing about my ex-brother-in-law (from near Liverpool) was introducing me to it.

I drink tea at home and in the office (usually green, but sometimes oolong), but rarely have it when dining out. My wife will order it sometimes. She usually just asks what kind of tea they have, and the waiter will go find out. Every once in a while we run into a place where they bring a box to the table with several different types of tea, which is nice, because then she can select whatever she likes.

Last edited:
i once read about - then mentioned to a smart guy coworker that almost all teas came from the same tea plant.

he responded that it must be one really big plant!!!

lol, i meant the same kind of plant. white, green, black, oolong, breakfast, matcha, genmaicha, keemun, etc., all are teas from the same kind of plant, but the differences are where they're grown, when they're picked, and how they're treated after picking.

so charlie, you were quite correct to specifically order black tea. just asking for tea could get you one of hundreds of different things, really.

btw, earl grey is a black tea that's flavoured with bergamot, a mediterranean citrus fruit.

--

I didn't notice this part the first time I read this post. Constant Comment is one of my favorites as well. So good on a chilly winter night!

I love tea! When you ask for black tea in SA, they bring you a cup of regular tea without milk. We just ask for tea and if you want rooibos or herbal tea you must specify. I love all teas. Loose tea has a better flavour though, I don't like buying bags.

These are my favourites:

images

31-VW853uUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

images

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom