Bobby Flay: Why do people hate on him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I've heard various random things about Bobby Flay being an arrogant pr**k, and being rude to people, etc etc

Ive never noticed it personally.

How did Flay get the bum rep? I don't really enjoy his shows much so don't see too much of him

I lost respect for him after he was on Iron Chef and jumped up on the counter where he'd been cooking all the food. It was just rude.

I am in the minority (at least it feels that way). I like him and do not think he is arrogant.

hes the only person of foodtv that i cant stand. when ever hes working with other chefs, he alwasy has this "i can do it better than you" look and attitude about him. its very subtle, but it is most definately there.

I do. I hate watching the guy interviewing poeple on his show... absolutely no charisma, just loudly going "uh hu, uh hu, yeah I knew that.... uh hu... yeah, I know... yes...". Also he's always throwing hissy fits on the american Iron cheff... like when he accuses one of his guy's of "killing" something they where cooking... and then goes back to scold him two more times.

It's something in the tone of his voice that bugs me. Condescending? Arrogant? Just doesn't seem to be a guy I'd like to knock back some beers with.

I agree he is not someone I would want to hang out with. I enjoy watching his shows though and like the look of his food.

Now his wife on the other hand, she I would like to have a few drinks with :mrgreen:

he does segments on the morning and weekend shows for cbs, and from what i've heard from the crew, he is as smug and arrogant on the set as he seems to be. that's not saying much; most on air "talent" have a similar kind of "i'm wonderful" attitude about them. you get used to it. it's so prevalent in the industry that when a talking head acts humble and polite, they stand out like a sore thumb, and everyone tries much harder to work for and with them.

i watch some of his shows, but i don't go out of my way to watch them. there's always something to learn. if it's on the idiot box, and my son or wife has hidden the remote, i'll watch it...

i need one of those new fat boy tape measures so i can change the channel.

mudbug said:
It's something in the tone of his voice that bugs me. Condescending? Arrogant? Just doesn't seem to be a guy I'd like to knock back some beers with.

I feel the same vibes from him.....not my cup of tea.:(

it's the holier-than-thou arrogance. i don't like people like that in real life and i don't like them on tv.

And all the time I thought it was just me. He does seem arrogant and condescending. His attitude is what bothers most people. I had a visitor to my house comment on it just last night. I didn't even know my freind watched any food-tv.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

jpmcgrew said:
:) Two words on rudeness,arrogance etc MARIO BATALI.

Mario I dont mind though since he has a certain charisma. People who are like that can be fun in the right context but people like Bobby have few redeeming qualities besides his cooking, which is highly debatable.

Mario seems 'uppity' because he's so very particular about the authenticity of his ingredients and recipes. Otherwise, he's a hoot!

I've worked with Rick Bayless, who's a real sweetie, but some folks think he's 'uppity' because of his opinions on doing things the right way, and again, the authenticity of his recipes.

Bobby Flay, on the other hand - well, let's just say he's a little Irish street kid from NY who got a few too many kudos and took it all a bit too seriously.

It is sooooooo good! His cookbooks are very easy to follow; try one! If I can find it, I'll post a recipe in 'vegetables' for a potato and poblano taco that rocks!

My sister who (like me) was born and raised mexican but unlike me is also a profesional chef (mostly chocolateur) went to Bayles restaurant "topolobampo" in chicago and was disapointed, sending back two of the dishes (some gummy and tough "fried shrimp" and a lamb dish that was packed with silver skin). She was very disapointed and didint consider the "chef taster" course worthwhile.

I watched a couple of episodes of "boy meets grill" with bobby flay and MAN he likes to talk about stuff he dosent know about and drop absolutely embarrasing chunks of spanish trying to say that he's "totally latin in his heart". Also he will put chipotle in his tea if you imply it would taste good... the guy has no sense of taste. Seriosly if I ever do a cameo on that show I'll see to bobby giving that nice grill a little kiss.

Back
Top Bottom