"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Actually I have respect for Guy Fawkes.

He was a man who, during the great conflict in England known as the the Reformation, tried, in a dramatic move, to reverse the Protestant movement.

Turns out that the coffers of James I, a Protestant, were very short of funds and someone figured out that cash could be obtained by renting out the cellar of the House of Lords.

Several Catholics realized that in one swell foop they could kill the king and both houses of parliament.

And so they rented the basement of the palace of Westminster and moved in barrel after barrel of gunpowder.

Unfortunately for the plotters, one had a Catholic relative in Parliament whom he warned not to be in the parimentary chamber.

As a result the plot was detected and Guy Fawkes was arrested, tried, and executed.

The Reformation was a time when there was considerable violence in England, and many folks died on both sides of the conflict.

Had Guy Fawkes succeeded he might be looked upon as a hero today.

But he was apparently a very ernest partisan during a time when many died for their religious convictions.

Sorry this has nothing to do with cooking, but one of my hobbies is history.

November 5th has become a day of fun for all in Britain.

Am just sorry that Guy Fawkes is considered the goat.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:19 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
as a Chemist, I naturaly enjoy fireworks and am not above making my own either (and have done).
However, having said that, I`m like some of you here also, I like the colors too :)
Bangs are Easy! a good Effect and color mix takes quite a bit of engineering and if done properly is well worth the effort :)

my personal faves are Catherine Wheels, esp done with a color mix propellant, mortars and rockets are good too if the payload is worthy!
I think what a good many of these "Idiots" (probably too generous a term) don`t realise is the Power behind these things, I think if they had some idea, they would even Dream of perpetrating half the Crimes and risk personaly injury to themselves and others as they do.
I dare say there will be a few candidates up for a Darwin Award this year too.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
Head Chef

When I first moved to the west country I was amazed by how much more prevalent fireworks are here. Historically of course there were fewer Catholic churches here and Guy Fawkes sees to be remembered more than anywhere else, where frankly it is Bonfore night, or Fireworks night, rather than Guy Fawkes Night. Fireworks get set off here, for Bonfire Night, or hey, just because its a Tuesday. It makes it very hard if you have pets and livestock. I love fireworks, and luckily so do my cats and the family dog...but the other animals don't. I just wish, if they did not make them public only, they were notifyable and people in the surrounding areas were made aware in advance. I had a horrid night once in October when I was trying to bring in a dozen horses from a field where fireworks from a neighbours land were raining in. We have had fireworks around hee every night in the last fortnight certainly, and often through the year.

The most popular Bonfire night treat is, I think, toffee apples.