Book Suggestions please! I'm loading my Kindle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix, sign up for the free newsletter, Kindle Nation Daily:

Kindle Nation Daily Digest - March 5, 2012 -- Brief Tips, Freebies and Bargain Updates

They also have exerpts.

Kathy Reichs?

Jefferson Bass?

Elmore Leonard?

Ben Bova's "The Return," Shrek is advocating that one, I haven't read it yet.

Carl Hiaasen, Wally Lamb, Janet Evanovich, Jeff Dunham (All By Myselves)?

Kathy Reichs?

Jefferson Bass?

Elmore Leonard?

Ben Bova's "The Return," Shrek is advocating that one, I haven't read it yet.

Up to date on Kathy Reichs. Never read Jefferson Bass or Elmore Leonard. If you had to pick only one of each which would you pick?

Carl Hiaasen, Wally Lamb, Janet Evanovich, Jeff Dunham (All By Myselves)?

Up to date on Carl Hiaasen (oh he makes me laugh so hard!) and Janet is a possible, but her last few were not as inspiring. Explosive Eighteen is on my short list. I'm not sure about the price though. Never read either Wally Lamb or Jeff Dunham. The book title is All By Myselves?

Jefferson Bass! "Carved in Bone"...the first book.

Elmore Leonard..."Get Shorty."

Last edited:
Elmore is fun, Jeff Dunham is a comedian/ventriloquist with an autobiography. Loved Wally Lamb, it's been awhile.

Anthony Bourdain's books make great airplane reading too. I'm looking through my bookshelf. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn was bizarre but fascinating. Water for Elephants, which you've probably already read. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Bill Bryson, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid was hilarious.

Last edited:
Alix said:
OK on my way to look at those.

Hmmm, they're $10 each. I might try one. Ill Wind do you think?

Got Kitchen Confidential ready to go!

Bourdain has several others, including Bone in the Throat, fiction.

I just finished reading "Hard Magic: Book 1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles" by Larry Correia. One of the best books I've read in a long time (it rated 5 stars on Amazon). It's an alternate history novel, but I would also classify it as mystery, thriller, suspense, romance, AND sci-fi/fantasy.

Unfortunately, I don't see it available in Kindle format. :(

I've just reserved Hard Magic in dead tree format at my public library. I hope it's good! :)

Alix said:
Excellent. Am I going to be spending all my Kindle dollars in one place soon? ;)

Dawg, have you read A Bone in the Throat?

Yes. It's a dead tree, so it was awhile ago, but entertaining.

Excellent. Am I going to be spending all my Kindle dollars in one place soon? ;)

Dawg, have you read A Bone in the Throat?

Maybe, I hope you like stories about Djinn. They are fluffy reading and i thought a lot of fun.

Yes. It's a dead tree, so it was awhile ago, but entertaining.

Its available on Kindle. I'm just not sure how many by one author I want to take. I might save it for later.

Maybe, I hope you like stories about Djinn. They are fluffy reading and i thought a lot of fun.

I'm open to almost any genre. I LOVE light and fluffy. My feeling is that I do enough heavy reading to learn about all the stuff I need at work so when I read for pleasure I don't want to have to analyze anything too much. Hit me over the head with stuff please. I studiously avoid anything Oprah recommends simply as too much "work". However, she's often recommended something AFTER I've read it. ;)

Whew, lovely suggestions folks! Let me try and answer the questions posed.

1. Free books and library books - Kindle library books are not yet available in Canadian libraries. When Mobi books were available I was quite adept at reformatting them to work on my Kindle. My Kindle is already loaded with as many classics and other freebies as I want. I'm all over "free" and many of the free books are good reads.

Are you sure that your library doesn't have Kindle books? The libraries in SE Ontario do...

What's Alternative History?

No war stuff. Ken would be stealing my Kindle.

Dune got read many moons ago. Could be worth a reread if they're cheap on Kindle though. Good thought. Thanks.

"The Guns of The South" is an alternative history about our civil war. The front cover (Hard Cover) has a picture of Robert E. Lee holding an AK47. It is about an attempt by the Afrikcaaners Resistence Movement (AWB) to change the outcome of our civil war in order to keep slavery alive.

Are you sure that your library doesn't have Kindle books? The libraries in SE Ontario do...

Then you are very lucky. Can you hook me up with one of them? I'll pay for a card. Can we pretend I live with you? Library name please? All the Overdrive information I can find insists that Kindle books are US libraries only.

"The Guns of The South" is an alternative history about our civil war. The front cover (Hard Cover) has a picture of Robert E. Lee holding an AK47. It is about an attempt by the Afrikcaaners Resistence Movement (AWB) to change the outcome of our civil war in order to keep slavery alive.

Oooooh! I get it now! Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about that. I'll look it up.

>> I'll pay for a card.<<<
Just curious. Is there a fee for a library card in Canada? In my town you have to be bristling with proofs of id and address before you can get a card, but no fee for the card.

Have you read the Diane Mott Davidson series featuring caterer and crime solver Goldy Bear Schulz? I think they are great fun.

Back
Top Bottom