Book Suggestions please! I'm loading my Kindle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jabbur said:
David Baldacci writes some good stuff. I'm currently working through his Camel Club series. It's political conspiracy murder mystery stuff. He also has another book "Wish You Well" that I really loved. It's set in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia. A "coming of age" story but really well done. There's also "the Grimm Curse" http://www.amazon.com/Grimm-Curse-Once-Upon-ebook/dp/B004FV5C4Y
It's a quick read but enjoyable.

Is The Grimm Curse what the tv series Grimm is based on?

For suggestions, I really like Demon Queen and the Locksmith by Spencer Baum. A sort of modern fantasy/mystery story about some teens who stumble into super powers and through it end up involved in an old conspiracy involving the Demon Queen and a strange plateau in Arizona. It's not as cheesey as it sounds, is well paced and sort of reads like a fun dream. I also really liked The Emperor's Edge by Lindsey Burocker set in a world where technology is still mechanical and steam driven. A female patrol officer stumbles onto a mystery and accidentally ends up an outlaw. Now she has to work with the assassin she was sent to kill to try to clear her name and save the empire. It's pretty light and kind of predictable but fun.
Oh, and last time I looked at them they were both free.

Last edited:
Vince Flynn
Harlan Coban
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simonson
C.J. Box mysteries with character a game warden. Read in order

I do buy the pocketbooks when they are same price as kindle books

For suggestions, I really like Demon Queen and the Locksmith by Spencer Baum. A sort of modern fantasy/mystery story about some teens who stumble into super powers and through it end up involved in an old conspiracy involving the Demon Queen and a strange plateau in Arizona. It's not as cheesey as it sounds, is well paced and sort of reads like a fun dream.

Are both of those books by Baum? Or is Demon Queen by Richard Lewis? I was seeking Demon Queen at my public library and that's all I found.

Gourmet Greg said:
Are both of those books by Baum? Or is Demon Queen by Richard Lewis? I was seeking Demon Queen at my public library and that's all I found.

The entire title is "The Demon Queen and the Locksmith". There is another book that is just called "The Demon Queen" but I haven't read it and I don't remember who the autgir was when I saw it.

Visit pixel of ink on facebook and sign up for daily updates of free kindle books. You'll save so much money. Amazon offers books for free all the time. They just don't advertise it.

Sorry, I'm out. The wife's romance novels are not where I'm at. Old I know but "Tarnsman of Gor".

OMG I'm glad there are other John D. MacDonald fans of his Travis McGee mystery/action series! :) There are 21 novels in the series, each named after a color: The Deep Blue Goodbye, Nightmare in Pink, A Purple Place for Dying, ... -- the first three in the series, the whole series published between 1964 and 1985. I've realized there are probably more MacDonald novels not in the McGee series that I haven't read--and looking forward to researching which they are and reading them. (MacDonald died in '86 not long after his last McGee novel was published.)

Last edited:
>> I'll pay for a card.<<<
Just curious. Is there a fee for a library card in Canada? In my town you have to be bristling with proofs of id and address before you can get a card, but no fee for the card.

I pay $12/year for my card. Depends on your city. If you are not able to afford a card they will comp you one. If you are not a resident of the city often there is a "visitor" fee.

Visit pixel of ink on facebook and sign up for daily updates of free kindle books. You'll save so much money. Amazon offers books for free all the time. They just don't advertise it.

I DID! I've already got a whole bunch and I'm stoked about it!

OMG I'm glad there are other John D. MacDonald fans of his Travis McGee mystery/action series! :)
My personal favorite is "The Dreadful Lemon Sky." The passage where McGee's friend Meyer describes the difference in McGee running on the beach and himself running on the beach makes me Laugh Out Loud every time. I've read all the colors. :)

He also wrote "The Executioners" on which the movie "Cape Fear" was based. But my favorite non-Travis McGee is "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything."

Vince Flynn
Harlan Coban
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simonson
C.J. Box mysteries with character a game warden. Read in order

I do buy the pocketbooks when they are same price as kindle books
I've read the first of the C.J. Box books and really liked it. Glad of the reminder to look for more of those.

Harlen Coben - always good value.

Does your library offer eBooks? I've taken out a number of popular books on my Kindle for free.

Does your library offer eBooks? I've taken out a number of popular books on my Kindle for free.

Not in Canada yet. They used to offer Mobipocket books which I could convert and put on my Kindle, but when Amazon released Kindle library books Overdrive removed all the Mobipocket books. Argh.

Rubbish. Keep heart, my library just started carrying them a few months back, and now there are thousands to browse.

Hello you guys I am new here. There is an app in the kindle store called wattpad the authors are amateur some of the books are really awsome and they are all free. There are like a million to browse I have read several. If you want suggested reads some of my personal favorites are - the help by kathryn stockett, saving ceecee honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. The kindle is a nifty product I bought 5 over the Christmas holidays as gifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just read 'No more tomorrows', by Schapelle Corby

It is a disturbing true story about a young Australian girl who was arrested for allegedly smuggling marijuana from Australia to Indonesia.

It is shocking, because she is sentenced to 20 years in a third world prison, for a crime she may not have committed. It makes one wonder if we dont know the half of what is going on in the world, and if we should all be a lot more worried about our safety and security.

That doesn't sound like a light fluffy beach read Mel. I think I'll hold off on that one til I get back.

Sharon, I'm only gone one week, but I typically read at least one book a day, sometimes more on holiday.

Thanks for the Dick Francis recommendation. Do you have a particular title for me? I haven't been inspired by his stuff but I'm always willing to try a recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom