Book Suggestions please! I'm loading my Kindle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Just 15 more sleeps til I'm off to Panama for a week. I need some good reads for my Kindle. I don't want to break the bank, but I would like some good "beach reads".

I've got a few things picked out, but would love some suggestions. Any thoughts? I love mystery, thriller, suspense, romance...haven't read Sci Fi or Fantasy in years, but enjoyed it when I did. Paranormal stuff is OK too. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reactions: GB
"Before I Go to Sleep" by S. J. Watson fits all of the beach read, mystery, thriller, suspense, romance categories. It's $12.99 for the Kindle version now, which surprised me... I think the price has gone up since I got it a while back. It will capture you.

"When She Woke" by Hillary Jordan is also a very engrossing novel - a "futuristic thriller" -- contains some controversial subject matter, as you'll see from the Amazon description. My daughter and I really enjoyed it -- it's also fast-paced and a good "airplane read."
[sleeping theme unintentional] hah

Have you checked to see if your library has ebooks? You can get a lot of great books for your kindle (yet another gadget I now own thanks to DCers...) (or in a kindle-compatible format) through a library. I like all of Asa Larsson's books...

The last book I read was "Sundays Will Never Be The Same." This may certainly not be a you book, but I fully enjoyed it.

I even got it a few days before the general public for free.

If your into epic fantasys, try Terry Brooks Shannara series. It begins with "The Sword of Shannara". He also writes as Terry Goodkind and has a series "The Sword of Truth", which the TV series "The Seeker" was based on.

Have you read hunger games, yet Alix??? I'm reading it now, almost finished, and if I was heading out I would download the next two for the trip.

Have you read any of the Disc World novels by Terry Pratchett? Great stuff if you lie fantasy and British humour.

Whew, lovely suggestions folks! Let me try and answer the questions posed.

1. Free books and library books - Kindle library books are not yet available in Canadian libraries. When Mobi books were available I was quite adept at reformatting them to work on my Kindle. My Kindle is already loaded with as many classics and other freebies as I want. I'm all over "free" and many of the free books are good reads.

2. Terry Pratchett - Love the guy. Read all his Wee Free Men and a few Discworld. I find Discworld a bit hit and miss for me though.

3. Hunger Games - read them all LAST trip. Good thought PF, thanks!

4. Terry Brooks - I read the Shannara series in dead tree format. I don't really want to duplicate books on the Kindle that I already own in paper format. Loved the series though CraigC, got any other suggestions?

SharonT, I'll look at both those authors. Thanks! They sound like they would fit the bill.

I've currently picked up:

Kitchen Confidential
A Nevada Barr that I've not read yet
Books 4 and 5 of the Song of Ice and Fire Series
A Joe Grey sample that I may not have read.

I am still looking for about 4 more books of the fluffier variety. Song of Ice and Fire is a bit too engrossing for a beach read. I don't want to be so involved I crispify myself!

David Baldacci writes some good stuff. I'm currently working through his Camel Club series. It's political conspiracy murder mystery stuff. He also has another book "Wish You Well" that I really loved. It's set in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia. A "coming of age" story but really well done. There's also "the Grimm Curse" http://www.amazon.com/Grimm-Curse-Once-Upon-ebook/dp/B004FV5C4Y
It's a quick read but enjoyable.

Whew, lovely suggestions folks! Let me try and answer the questions posed.

4. Terry Brooks - I read the Shannara series in dead tree format. I don't really want to duplicate books on the Kindle that I already own in paper format. Loved the series though CraigC, got any other suggestions?

Do you like "spy" type series?
Clive Cussler
Alistair MacLean

More fantasy
Ann McCaffrey - Pern series

Oh I loved Alistair MacLean stuff! Desmond Bagley too! I think I've read all the Clive Cusslers and yes I like that stuff a lot! Got more suggestions? Clearly we read the same stuff.

I've done all the Pern stuff too. Those are in my bookcase though, and not on Kindle.

Oh I loved Alistair MacLean stuff! Desmond Bagley too! I think I've read all the Clive Cusslers and yes I like that stuff a lot! Got more suggestions? Clearly we read the same stuff.

I've done all the Pern stuff too. Those are in my bookcase though, and not on Kindle.

Alternative History? (Fiction)
Harry Turtledove - "Guns of the South"
World War series

If you've read the other stuff, I guess "Dune" is passe'

Last edited:
What's Alternative History?

No war stuff. Ken would be stealing my Kindle.

Dune got read many moons ago. Could be worth a reread if they're cheap on Kindle though. Good thought. Thanks.

Janet Evanovich, Lisa Lutz and Sue Grafton all have good series books to read. Don't know how much they are though, but you will laugh out loud at times with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. (the movie, One for the Money, just came out a few weeks ago).

Back
Top Bottom