Books and Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was working I got out of the habit of reading for pleasure, but now I'm back at it. The only books I like to reread are by James Michener. I love historical novels.

Right now, I'm reading The Red Tent, suggested by a member of the book club we recently formed. Another member is reading 1,000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, an Afghan writer who also wrote The Kite Runner. I've already read The Kite Runner. It's a great book about Afghanistan and its history and traditions. Suns is more about the women of Afghanistan under the Taliban.

I mentioned a friend who I exchange books -- The Red Tent was one of them. Be both enjoy books that have some basic in history, especially if they let us know what and where.

... and I've also read the other books mentioned. They made me cry.

Last edited:
So far, the stand out book for me this year is Almost Heaven by Chris Farley. It was really good. I also liked Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy but it had some really upsetting parts (home invasion). I tried to read a novel about the day Lincoln was shot. It was supposed to chronicle events in the 24 hours before the shooting until his death. I enjoyed reading the preface giving you a run down of the Civil War timeline. Then when the novel started, it bogged down fast and I didn't even get through the first chapter.

I tend to only re-read a story when I forgot I have read it already.

Shrek and I tend to buy books again that we have already read...and I have no idea how three copies of the same CD ended up on the shelf...

Shrek and I tend to buy books again that we have already read...and I have no idea how three copies of the same CD ended up on the shelf...

Huh-huh, You are not alone. My wife were trying to clean the library the other day and she found a whole bunch of doubles and triples.

Shrek discovered Jack McDevitt, adventure type stories, he's running through them like crazy!

I love the old classics of Dr. Zhivago, The Scarlet Letter, Little Women and such.

I like the Harry Potter books also. and I also re-read books.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom