Books and Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I'm currently rereading Divergent (and then Insurgent) as a prep for reading Allegiant which just arrived on my Kindle. I think I'm enjoying it as much as I did the first time. Someone asked me recently why I reread things and my inspired answer was "Cuz I want to". Whoo. Clearly not firing on all cylinders that morning.

It got me thinking though, I guess lots of folks don't reread books. THAT seems odd to me. I figure if I liked it the first time, I'm bound to like it a second time. Its like visiting an old friend.

Meandering around in my brain, I also realized that once I reached my target number of books on Goodreads, I stopped recording what I was reading, and have been rereading a number of books. I can't decide if the book target was a good idea or not. I'll ponder that later. I am going to go through my list and see if I can decide on a favorite book for the year.

Anyone have any stand outs this year? Anything totally amazing or one that surprised you because it was better than expected? Or maybe worse than expected?

My worse than expected was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. There was such hype about it, and the blurb was good but I was mightily disappointed in it.

I often reread books. The Hunger Games Trilogy really pulled me in and I read the series off and on, on my phone, when I don't have my Kindle with me.

And I love it when I find a new-to-me series. I've read the first two of the Insurgent series and am looking forward to the third now!

Linda

Some books become favorites. I reread a lot of Anne McCaffrey.

I used to reread Heinlein, but the last time I tried, I noticed that he was caught up in the politics of the day and I didn't enjoy his stories like I used to.

I'll probably read some of the books I read lately by Jeffrey Deaver. I just finished
The Broken Window twists and turns on almost every page. I just couldn't put it down until it was done. Riveting!

I have to wait about 4 years before I reread anything. It gives me time to forget some of the plots.

New Books, I'm in the middle of the second in a series by Hugh Howey. Dystopian Apocalypse stories the three books: Wool, Shift and Dust, these have me severely hooked.

Finished in the last two weeks, Dire Earth Cycle (trilogy) by Jason Hough, another series that had me reading constantly.

I also re-read books, I've actually worn out set of books and had to re-buy in order to read again.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who wears out books! Its actually one of the things I considered about my Kindle. Tougher to wear out a book on a Kindle! I actually own the Hunger Games trilogy on both Kindle and in hard cover. Never know when the eBooks might go belly up.

PF, I'll go look those up. Thanks!

I have a number of old favorites that I have read multiple times. Most Agatha Christie's, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Triology. I have recently purchased a number of books that are awaiting their second reading, The Belgariad and Time And Again.

Anyone have any stand outs this year? Anything totally amazing or one that surprised you because it was better than expected? Or maybe worse than expected?
Still interested in the answers to this question if anyone has one.

I probably can't tell you how many times I've attempted to read a book, but failed from having a short attention span. I've read about four books in my life time, which is a bit disappointing but many times I carry on reading and I'll realise I've read about two page and not actually taken in what I've read as my mind has wandered off.

Anyway, to the point, when I was in college I studied media production, and we had to do a project on adaptation; from book to film. The book we was given, was called 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain M. Banks, which happens to be one of the four books I've read completely. Ha! Anyway, I had to read it all as I put myself down as the screen writer. Such a brilliant book! It has a massive shocker near the end, it's quite creepy and gruesome, but it is totally awesome. Look up the blurb online and if it takes your fancy, buy it from the iStore, it's £3.99, or around $3. I think you can download a PDF of it somewhere for free but it has to be on a device that isn't iOS. This book definitely needs to be made as a feature film, even though I know it won't be quite as good as the book.

I read a lot. That is to say, it isn't unusual for me to read 3+ books a week (I can read fast and I'm an insomniac). But I avoid re-reading a book. As long as there is a public library and used book sales, there's something to read that I haven't read before.

But it was funny ... I have a friend who lives quite a ways (say, two or three days drive) from me, and when we actually buy books, if we think the other might be interested, pack up and send them. One she sent me a few months ago was a Mary Stuart novel, I think called The Ivy Tree. I was introduced to these great gothic novelists as a young teenager (I think my first was Airs Above the Ground and was tickled pink to be able to go to the breeding farm for the horses in Slovenia decades later).

I have many friends who love to read their old favorites over and over again. I look for something new, simply because I read so much.

When I was working I got out of the habit of reading for pleasure, but now I'm back at it. The only books I like to reread are by James Michener. I love historical novels.

Right now, I'm reading The Red Tent, suggested by a member of the book club we recently formed. Another member is reading 1,000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, an Afghan writer who also wrote The Kite Runner. I've already read The Kite Runner. It's a great book about Afghanistan and its history and traditions. Suns is more about the women of Afghanistan under the Taliban.

Just as an update. I finished Allegiant (the third book in the Divergent series) and cried my eyes out. I was a teensy bit outraged at the ending, surprised and then resigned to it. Still good. I'll likely reread it in a bit to make sure I didn't miss anything.

@Claire - I read a lot too Claire. I hit my 100 marker at the end of August and haven't bothered recording anymore, but at that rate I'd do about 150 a year. That doesn't include my rereads. I don't think it matters whether you read a lot or not. Its more about your personal desire to read new material or to reimmerse yourself in an old favorite. I liken it to new super soft slippers or old broken in but comfy loafers. Each one has its place, and they aren't the same at all.

Again, does anyone have any stand outs this year? I have to go over my list again, but for me, the Lee Child books were pretty wonderful to have discovered this year.

Alix, have you read "A Dog's Purpose", and its sequel, "A Dog's Journey"? Both excellent.

The books I have re-read include "Gone With the Wind" and the "Anne of Green Gables" series, both many years ago.

Last edited:
Will they make me cry Dawg? I don't like to cry when I read and I'm a total mushpot. If they are at all like Marley and Me I'm out. Otherwise, I'll give them a go. Thanks.

Wool, Shift and Dust (three titles) are the stand outs for me, I'm looking for more from Hugh Howey.

Will they make me cry Dawg? I don't like to cry when I read and I'm a total mushpot. If they are at all like Marley and Me I'm out. Otherwise, I'll give them a go. Thanks.

Actually, they're pretty matter-of-fact. Well, maybe sometimes. If the dog dies, he/she is reincarnated. It's a dog's purpose.

I can't handle crying dog books either....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom