"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Saphelle,

I use Borax (the 20 Mule team) as a prewash in all my clothes AND the towels the cats have claimed as their own. Not problems at all. I also use it for ant nests.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Head Chef

I have been making my own laundry soap for several years now. I can't tell you how much money I have saved. I don't worry about getting the Fels. i use whatever bar soap I have on hand. i use up all of those little bits of soap that are too small to wash with and I also buy those little decorative soaps that you find for pennies at garage sales. They all seem to work. I did have one batch that did not gel but it still cleaned jsut fine and none of us have ever had any problem with being allergic to any of it.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i've heard it's safe for cool cats from wales.

borax de fraile, as it were...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here's a web site that has a bunch of recipes:

10 Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes : TipNut.com

I am allergic to detergents (not all of them, but many). So when the brand I wasn't allergic to switched its formula (and I broke out in hives), I decided to make my own (also, money was tight, so it was a cost-saving measure). I make a variation of #4--I didn't have any containers to store liquid--I do now, but I like the powder one--I use Kirk's (I don't know if that is available in Canada--I buy it when I go to NY. I've been meaning to buy Fels, but keep forgetting when I'm in NY). I've used Ivory when I didn't have any Kirk's. I run the soap bar through the grater of my food processor, then I switch blades and use the chopping blade. At first, I would end up with clumps of soap on my clothes--making the bar soap finer solved that problem. I also add 1/2 c of baking soda to the mix (which is probably overkill since the washing soda is probably enough) and when I do the laundry, I will sometimes add tea tree oil to the water. I haven't bought laundry detergent for 6 months. I have always dumped about 1 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle--but that was to get all the detergent residue out of the clothes AND to get the DROOL off my clothes.

I've been very happy with how well the homemade soap cleans. I am on my second box of borax and A&H washing soda.

I keep forgetting to buy liquid Castille soap when I'm in NY--have to go down again Monday. I have it on my list. I go through a lot of dish washing soap so wanted to try "homemade".
Tea tree oil is marvelous stuff but pretty dang expensive. I find it superior to campho phenique.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Head Chef

Alix, thank you for the link, that is great! Can I sub baking soda for washing soda? I haven't been able to find washing soda.

I found the box of borax expensive (6.50) but I suppose it's cheaper than laundry soap that's for sure.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Alix, thank you for the link, that is great! Can I sub baking soda for washing soda? I haven't been able to find washing soda.

I found the box of borax expensive (6.50) but I suppose it's cheaper than laundry soap that's for sure.
No, you can't sub baking soda for washing soda. They are two different critters.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you have a Valu Mart store nearby? That's where I get the washing soda. I think I saw it at Canadian Tire too.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Everymom

Washing soda is OxiClean powder. I buy the Zellers brand. Works like a charm.

I've been making this laundry soap for a couple of years now and I love it. I have tried a few different bar soaps. The Sunlight laundry soap is good, the Fels Naphtha that Katie sent me is better. I've also used Lever 2000 and Ivory. Lever was better than Ivory. Not sure why though!

Have fun Saph, and this stuff goes a LOOOOONG way, especially in a front loading machine.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Excellent Alix, we have a front loader! That is great news.

I don't think we have a valu mart here CSW. Oxiclean powder sounds familiar though, I will take a look next time I'm out and about. Thanks so much everybody!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
Head Chef

I'm not quite sure that Oxiclean is the same thing as washing soda. I have both on my shelf and they don't look anything alike but that doesn't mean that they won't work the same I guess. I get Arm and Hammer washing soda at Walmart sometimes and at Meijer's grocery stores sometimes. I think more stores are beginning to carry it because so many people are trying to make their own laundry soap these days.