Borax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not quite sure that Oxiclean is the same thing as washing soda. I have both on my shelf and they don't look anything alike but that doesn't mean that they won't work the same I guess. I get Arm and Hammer washing soda at Walmart sometimes and at Meijer's grocery stores sometimes. I think more stores are beginning to carry it because so many people are trying to make their own laundry soap these days.
I seem to recall that Oxiclean is an acid (oxalic acid based cleaner) and washing soda is a base (alkaline based) substance. Perhaps the chemists on this forum can clarify..

It also appears that posters to this thread might be confusing the properties of boric acid with that of borax.

Last edited:
Some quick research shows that washing soda is the chemical sodium carbonate (baking soda is sodium bicarbonate - not the same thing).

The active ingredient in OxiClean is sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3•H2O2), an adduct of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).

Similar but different.

Well, I went to NY on Monday to p/up my mail that I "held" because of the postal strike. I also p/up 5 bars of Fels...at the border, I was charged HST on the bars (1.39/each). I just made my first batch of soap with the Fels. I used 1.5 bars and added 1 bar of Ivory, 2 c borax, 3 c washing soda, 1/2 c baking soda. I'll let you know what I think of how this mix cleans. I love the smell of the Fels--reminds me of my grandma's laundry room!

Fels definitely is the bar soap of choice here. My DH is a "pig" because of his machine shop stuff. You can always tell which bath towel he has used. The towels are CLEAN!

Saphelle--My mother and grandmother always used it to pre-treat stains. I haven't seen it here (in Ontario). I don't think it is sold in Canada, but I could be wrong. I'm stocking up when I go to MN later this month.

Fels definitely is the bar soap of choice here. My DH is a "pig" because of his machine shop stuff. You can always tell which bath towel he has used. The towels are CLEAN!

I know exactly what you mean. Two of our sons worked as auto mechanics and for commercial lawn service companies. Our towels really took a hit. I knew they were clean but, by the looks of the discolorations their grubby paws left, they certainly didn't look clean. I finally gave up and bought black towels.:ROFLMAO:

Saph, you can't get Fels here unless you order online and then you will have a crapload of it. Its good stuff if you can get it though. Try the Sunlight bar laundry soap, its good.

Also to hearken back to the washing soda discussion, OxiClean (or a generic) is as close as I can get to actual washing soda here. No one carries it, and it is not financially reasonable to order online. OxiClean is for all intents and purposes washing soda with a lovely little tidbit of a whitening agent (the peroxide as Andy mentioned).

The link I posted is the recipe I've used for a couple of years now and I'm happier with it than any bottle of Tide I've purchased. The Fels definitely is the stuff to use though. It gets out the worse greasy nasty stains going. And its brightening up some very old and dingy towels.

Saph, post and let us know which recipe you used and how you like it.

Back
Top Bottom