Boston Market to take salt off table, cut sodium in 3 dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Boston Market to take salt off table, cut sodium in 3 dishes

The casual-dining chain, best-known for its spinning chicken rotisseries and its tasty but often-salty side dishes, is announcing plans today to remove salt shakers from guest tables at all 476 locations.

At the same time, the chain will unveil plans to reduce sodium levels in its three signature items — rotisserie chicken, macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes — by 20% in the next six months. Signs at tables — where salt shakers used to be — will explain the sodium-reducing effort and note that some shakers are still available at beverage stations.

My dad has put extra salt on everything for years. Wouldn't even taste things. Just grabbed that shaker and shook. Eats salty everything! Well...he was at the doctor last week, and the doctor asked him if he ever eats salt. My sister was with him and said, "Yes, he puts salt on everything!". Well, come to find out, he has LOW sodium!!! What the heck???

Boy, are they ever going to have a grouchy waiting staff from all of the extra trips they are going to have to take from having to fetch the salt shaker for customers...:mad:

.It won't make a difference, I'm afraid. Publicity stunt....

Rocklobster said:
Boy, are they ever going to have a grouchy waiting staff from all of the extra trips they are going to have to take from having to fetch the salt shaker for customers...:mad:

.It won't make a difference, I'm afraid. Publicity stunt....

I agree with you 100%

bakechef said:
Boston Market is fast food, they don't have wait staff.

Oh LOL. Didn't think of that. It still won't make a difference.

My dad has put extra salt on everything for years. Wouldn't even taste things. Just grabbed that shaker and shook. Eats salty everything! Well...he was at the doctor last week, and the doctor asked him if he ever eats salt. My sister was with him and said, "Yes, he puts salt on everything!". Well, come to find out, he has LOW sodium!!! What the heck???

HA HA! Leave dad alone. Not everyone is adversely effected by sodium intake.

I use salt like your dad and get grief from others all the time. My sister still makes a disgusted noise when I reach for the salt shaker. Of course, she NEVER salts anything making my salting necessary.

So, it was his body telling him he needed the extra salt.

My dad salted everything, even when he would order an occasional beer in a restaurant! Never had high blood pressure or any heart related problems. I hope that I inherited those genes! So far blood pressure is fine.

My partner's mom doesn't even have salt in her kitchen. She overcooks everything and doesn't season anything, it's pretty awful!

Andy M. said:
HA HA! Leave dad alone. Not everyone is adversely effected by sodium intake.

I use salt like your dad and get grief from others all the time. My sister still makes a disgusted noise when I reach for the salt shaker. Of course, she NEVER salts anything making my salting necessary.

I guess we will leave him alone about it now. He always says that things I make has no salt even though it does have salt.

taxlady said:
So, it was his body telling him he needed the extra salt.

I guess he really did need it. He still craves salty things. He sweats a lot. I wonder if he just gets rid of it all.

I have been known to tote salt and pepper in my pocket when going to eat out. You never know when you might need it. Seen the time I wish I had brought sour cream with me....on the other hand, that might be tricky to manage.

It's one thing for a fast-food place to reduce the salt in the food itself - that's a good idea, for the people who are sensitive to salt. To remove it from the tables, though, is condescending, as if they know what's right for everyone.

It's one thing for a fast-food place to reduce the salt in the food itself - that's a good idea, for the people who are sensitive to salt. To remove it from the tables, though, is condescending, as if they know what's right for everyone.
Most of the fast food places that I have seen don't have salt and pepper on the table. You usually have to grab the little packets. They are going to have salt shakers in the beverage section.

We sometimes eat at Bofinger BBQ Smokehouse, a BBQ smokehouse restaurant. You place your order and pick up your food when they call your name. They have salt and pepper shakers in their beverage section, next to the cutlery. Oops, I see that they now have the salt and pepper on the tables.

I have never tried Boston Market, partly because of my mom's experience I guess. She tried them when they first opened near her and said everything was so salty she could hardly eat it.

Not putting salt shakers on the table might make a small difference. Some people don't think to grab the salt packets, but they grab a shaker without even thinking.

Back
Top Bottom