"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Boy Scouts of America

Sooo, my DH and son joined the Boy Scouts of America (BSA)...DH is an assistant scout master. The troop has commented that their fund raising skills leave a lot to be desired. Anyone have any ideas? Seems a lot of mine have been shot down because they are BOYS...not GIRLS. Any suggestions?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Sous Chef

How old are they? like age range? Car wash for donations is always a hit around here. Just have to get permission from wherever you want to do it (they usually do it at gas stations around here) hook up a hose, buy a bunch of cheap supplies, and go for it. When I was in the Army we did these often and usually after a day ended up with 200-300$ Good luck!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One thing our boys did when they were scouts is, on Saturday mornings, drive through neighborhoods and sell boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts. Their scoutmaster would get up really, really early and go to the Krispy Kreme bakery and buy a hundred boxes or so at a discounted rate. Then, the boys would sell them. The folks in the neighborhoods really enjoyed having fresh donuts delivered to their doors for Saturday breakfast.

You might not have a Krispy Kreme bakery in your immediate area, but another donut outlet might give you a break for the scouts.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
How old are they? like age range? Car wash for donations is always a hit around here. Just have to get permission from wherever you want to do it (they usually do it at gas stations around here) hook up a hose, buy a bunch of cheap supplies, and go for it. When I was in the Army we did these often and usually after a day ended up with 200-300$ Good luck!
my son is the youngest at 11 and the oldest is 15 or 16. i was thinking car wash, dog wash (LOL), bake sale, craft fair, spaghetti night, fashion show, halloween party or haunted house (DH's idea), leaf raking in the fall, snow shoveling in winter (not much snow here last year though), etc. I just think that sitting outside a store on a saturday or sunday with a jar is just too boring.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Have you considered looking for a Sponser...A Church? A Bank? A Civic organization? A Business? It's great PR for them..Here (most) Scout Troops have sponsers....Any Fund Raising Projects are mostly philanthropic in nature.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Cook

they meet in the basement of a church, but they don't get any funding from them.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshoo96 View Post
they meet in the basement of a church, but they don't get any funding from them.
Maybe someone needs to ask....for a few bucks on an annual basis, or go to A bank etc. and say...Look... So & So Church is doing this for us...What can you do to help us...They will ask.. what you need...Tell them...Ya might get it!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #8
Senior Cook

The popcorn was always a bit of a sticking point for me. On one hand, it's pretty good popcorn, but, on the other, it's not as good as the price indicates. Girl Scout Cookies, unfortunately, are built to a much better price point. I think they win the youth program junk food battle!

You might want to solicit local businesses for donations. I remember when my troop was in need of a new shed and trailer, several of the businesses helped with small donations that helped in a big way. A number of these businesses were along the stretch of highway the troop "adopted", so there was already a bit of a tacit relationship between the organizations. In recognition of their support, I believe the businesses who donated so much money also got "special thanks" to them printed on the back of the trailer, so the donations weren't totally out of the goodness of their hearts or as recognition for the troop's service to the community.

Looking back makes me wish I could help out with my old troop some more. Now that I'm on midnights, I have the time to go to the weekly meetings, but it won't be any time in the foreseeable future, which is a shame.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

The kids around here collect cans door to door. I doubt they make a lot doing that, but I am sure people slip them extra cash as well.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I've had a few come knocking at my door lately. One was selling paper yard waste bags that we have to use in my neighbourhood. Another was selling kitchen waste compost bags that we also have to use. Yet another was selling the big commercial rolls of tin foil and plastic wrap. I bought from all three. Do local banks in your area support local non profit groups? Can't hurt to ask. Good luck!