"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Head Chef

Bracelets I made

I have a baby niece with Down Syndrome. This child amazes me and she's only 12 weeks old.

These are the bracelets I made for Down Syndrome Awareness...two different ones.

Sorry for the photo quality, I have a crappy camera.

This ones has 4mm and 6mm smooth sterling beads and 6mm Swarovski crystals in bright colors with a sterling heart toggle and a sterling awareness ribbon.

This one has 4mm and 6mm "stardust" sterling beads and 8mm Swarovski crystals in pastel colors with a sterling round toggle and a sterling awareness ribbon.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Beautiful! What a wonderful person you are. I have a 39 year old son who is mentally handicaped and a nephew on DH's side with Downs. Thank you for you lovely work.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thank you. I am VERY proud to be her aunt. You can see her in the Members Photos.....We are blessed to have her one extra chromosone!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
those bracelets are beautiful angie !
are you looking to sell them ?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yes, my sister and I plan to make some to sell if we get orders. These are MINE. MINE ALL MINE! LOL!!! There is a link somewhere that shows all the different colors for awareness causes...cancers, animals, you name it....I can make the bracelets to fit anyone's causes.

My sister will post them on the two DS forums we visit as well.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Mayson is beautiful!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Head Chef

Ahh...here it is...

http://www.craftsnscraps.com/jewelry/ribbons.html

I plan on making purple ones for the benefit/fundraiser I want to do for my friend with cancer. Of course, they wont be this nice, these are expensive to make...$30-ish!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Mayson is beautiful!
Thank you so much. I cherish every minute I get with her. Thankfully, my sister and her family live only 20 minutes away. Mayson is lucky to have an older brother (11yrs) and sister (8yrs), and a stay at home mom.

She is progressing as any "normal" 12 week old child would. She has not passed any of her hearing tests but trust me, that child can hear! She giggles now...LOVES stripes and plaids, laughs at them! She also laughs at my sister's headboard. It's the cutest thing.

I know she can hear, I was talking to her on the phone and she was responding.

She's my blessing.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Timeloyd
Last fall I came across some small Acorns and their bead like appearence gave me an idea. I took a triangular streight tip leather or canvas needle and moving it pressed the needle into the Acorn till it started coming through the other side. I then reversed the needle going through the side it was coming out of and pulling the threaded needle which was knotted at one end to keep the Acorms from sliding off the rest of the way through. When I had pulled the Artificial Sinew/Waxed Nylon all the way through and had strung an Acorn I put a Pony Bead on it. I then drilled and added another Acorn Bead and kept repeating untill I had about
28 Acorns and 28 Pony Beads and tied and carefully burned the Nylon thread to keep it from unraveling. I then had myself an Acorn necklace. By putting it on a hat or your head and twisting it you get a hat or head band. You can also count 4 Acorn and on the 4th Pony Beads twist the necklace creating a Pendent in it, About 55 or so Acorns and Pony Beads will make you an Acorn Belt burn the ends and loop twist it like a sash to keep it on. You can use 12 - 14 Acorns to make a wrist or ankle bracelet twisting to tighten.
You can use the same method you used to drill the Acorns with a triangle leather or canvas needle to drill Sea Urchen spines for necklaces or bracelets, as well as to drill pencils to hang.
You can also drill green Buck Eye nuts.
I had found more uses for Acorns. At least the squirrels haven't chased me when I wear Acorns.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
Master Chef

Angie, the bracelets are gorgeous and you cause is heart warming!! I have already seen Mayson. She is just beautiful. I'm going to go check out more of the bracelets on the link. Your doing a very good thing!!!
I would love to have some of the purples ones. I could give them to my family at Christmas in memory of my mom. Please let me know when you start selling them. I really like the 3rd one down with the heart and ribbon on the bracelet. Also the charm bracelet at the end. You could maybe find some hearts with writing, like, survivor, in remembrance, etc... I would love that.