"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Now you're making it sound like homework.
Naw, just brain push-ups.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

Ok, a more fun brain teaser, oh, and anyone else who wants to post a brain teaser feel free.

If it's true that no two physical objects can occupy the same space, and if it's true that no thing in motion can change that motion in the exact opposite direction without stopping, for at least an instant, then if a common housefly is moving parallel to a train track, and strikes an oncoming train head on, does it stop the train for an instant so that it can change its direction of travel exactly opposite to its original direction?

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

No, MASS rules.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No, MASS rules.
But it doess the train down, by an unmeasurably small amount. Do you agree?

Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Who can tell me why this is possible? Put on your mathematic thinking caps, kids. Oh, and P.A.G., if you're watching, you can't answer. And, this is a true mathematical statement. If you know how to find the correct answer, explain it to those who don't. I learned how to do this back in 1975.

Brain teaser for the day.

11101 +11011 = 111000

Bob Flowers
I'm dyscalculic. Don't confuse me anymore than I already am.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
But it doess the train down, by an unmeasurably small amount. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree the amount it changes the train's momentum and forward movement is unmeasurable.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
Master Chef

Ok, nothing to do with math. I have the answer to the age-old question:

If a tree falls in the woods, and there nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

Hint: it has something to do with the nature of sound.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes. Sound is a vibration that travels through a medium like air. It does not matter if there is no eardrum or microphone to hear it. The vibrating air waves are the sound independent of surroundings.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes. Sound is a vibration that travels through a medium like air. It does not matter if there is no eardrum or microphone to hear it. The vibrating air waves are the sound independent of surroundings.

Ah but when the tree falls, it creates that disturbace of the air as you stated, much like when an object is thrown into a pool. The air, being fluid in nature, react just as the water did, by transmitting that disruption's energy in the form of waves, at a particular frequency. And yet, we don't hear the waves traveling though the water, except those that are within our hearing range. We call water waves silent. And though we may feel very low frequency air waves, we don't call that sound, as we can't hear them.

I submit that the definition of sound is that frequency of fluid that strikes the proper sensory organs to be interpreted by the brain as sound.

Therefore, if there is nothing to hear the sound, then it is simply an energy wave propagated through a medium, not sound. In other words, it isn't sound until it is perceived as sound, be it a bug, or a person.

All discussion about this topic is welcomed. To me, this could be an interesting discussion.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
Master Chef

Next brain teaser:
Create a Rube Goldberg machine to cook food with sound.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North