Brain Teaser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Who can tell me why this is possible? Put on your mathematic thinking caps, kids. Oh, and P.A.G., if you're watching, you can't answer. And, this is a true mathematical statement. If you know how to find the correct answer, explain it to those who don't. I learned how to do this back in 1975.

Brain teaser for the day.

11101 +11011 = 111000

Bob Flowers

The equation is in binary (powers of 2) notation. In binary addition 0+0=0, 0+1=1,
1+1=10 in other words, a 0 with a 1 carried to the next column.
11101 +
--------
111000 starting from the right 1+1=10, so it is 0 and carry the 1 to the left just like regular addition. Next column,0+1+1carried is10 so again it is 0 and carry the 1 to the left.in the third column 1+0+1 carried is 10 so it is 0 and carry the 1 to the left. Next column 1+1+1carried is 11, so 1 and carry the one. In the left hand column,1+1+1 carried is 11
Therefore the answer is 111000 QED.

This was typed by my brainy husband, not me!!

I'm with Z!

I started my life as an accountant and we didn't go in for that goofy math!

Then I fell in with a bunch of computer geeks and they tried to teach me that binary stuff, they failed! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Intellectually curious but of no practical use to anyone other than computer science teachers.

And programmers, especially the ones who do the low level programming. (Machine language and stuff close to machine language)

Hexedecimal gets even crazier.

Next geeky question; Why is binary coded octal an integral part of most machine language, and assembly language code? And, what is binary coded octal. Give an example.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ok, a more fun brain teaser, oh, and anyone else who wants to post a brain teaser feel free.

If it's true that no two physical objects can occupy the same space, and if it's true that no thing in motion can change that motion in the exact opposite direction without stopping, for at least an instant, then if a common housefly is moving parallel to a train track, and strikes an oncoming train head on, does it stop the train for an instant so that it can change its direction of travel exactly opposite to its original direction?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Who can tell me why this is possible? Put on your mathematic thinking caps, kids. Oh, and P.A.G., if you're watching, you can't answer. And, this is a true mathematical statement. If you know how to find the correct answer, explain it to those who don't. I learned how to do this back in 1975.

Brain teaser for the day.

11101 +11011 = 111000

Bob Flowers
I'm dyscalculic. Don't confuse me anymore than I already am.

Ok, nothing to do with math. I have the answer to the age-old question:

If a tree falls in the woods, and there nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

Hint: it has something to do with the nature of sound.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes. Sound is a vibration that travels through a medium like air. It does not matter if there is no eardrum or microphone to hear it. The vibrating air waves are the sound independent of surroundings.

Yes. Sound is a vibration that travels through a medium like air. It does not matter if there is no eardrum or microphone to hear it. The vibrating air waves are the sound independent of surroundings.

Ah but when the tree falls, it creates that disturbace of the air as you stated, much like when an object is thrown into a pool. The air, being fluid in nature, react just as the water did, by transmitting that disruption's energy in the form of waves, at a particular frequency. And yet, we don't hear the waves traveling though the water, except those that are within our hearing range. We call water waves silent. And though we may feel very low frequency air waves, we don't call that sound, as we can't hear them.

I submit that the definition of sound is that frequency of fluid that strikes the proper sensory organs to be interpreted by the brain as sound.

Therefore, if there is nothing to hear the sound, then it is simply an energy wave propagated through a medium, not sound. In other words, it isn't sound until it is perceived as sound, be it a bug, or a person.

All discussion about this topic is welcomed. To me, this could be an interesting discussion.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom