"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I would LOVE to see what Fernan Adria and Hamoru Cantu could come up with.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Cook

I'd love to see Robert Irvine go up against one of the ICs. Dinner Impossible vs. Iron Chef America... talk about an exciting battle. Gordon Ramsay would be fun, but you'd have to bleep every fourth word from his side of the stadium.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I would LOVE to see what Fernan Adria and Hamoru Cantu could come up with.
Cantu actually has already competed on ICA and beat Morimoto. I think the theme battle was beets, or maybe sweet potato. I'm pretty sure it was a root-type vegetable. But I do remember that Cantu made soups and served them in liquid droppers, he did his signature baked fish in his polymer box, he used liquid nitrogen to make ballons (ok I remember now, it WAS beets), and he used a laser to caramelize his popcorn.

One other chef that I would like to see compete is Ron Siegel. He was one of the few American chefs to appear on the original Iron Chef series and he beat Sakai in "Battle Lobster". He's probably one of the most underrated chefs there is. He's not as widely talked about as other chefs in San Francisco but he consistently puts out great food.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool
i looked them all up on wikipedia & i think any of the iron chefs would get smoked. it would definitely be an awesome battle between an iron chef and anyone on that list!
You would think so, but not necessarily. There's been quite a few chefs that I would've thought would beat the Iron Chefs, but didn't. Rick Tramonto, Wylie Dufresne, David Burke, Michael Symon, and Lynn Crawford come to mind. Tramonto was especially a surprise, because Tru was one of the top 5 places that I've ever eaten at. But then again, the judging is subjective and depending on the panel, should really be taken as a grain of salt.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Cantu actually has already competed on ICA and beat Morimoto. I think the theme battle was beets, or maybe sweet potato. I'm pretty sure it was a root-type vegetable. But I do remember that Cantu made soups and served them in liquid droppers, he did his signature baked fish in his polymer box, he used liquid nitrogen to make ballons (ok I remember now, it WAS beets), and he used a laser to caramelize his popcorn.
he also took a photograph of the judges & printed it on edible paper using beet ink in his printer.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool
he also took a photograph of the judges & printed it on edible paper using beet ink in his printer.
Only truly wacky chefs dare bring in edible paper and ink to the Iron Chef stadium.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I will add Bob Bowersox from QVC!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
Only truly wacky chefs dare bring in edible paper and ink to the Iron Chef stadium.
yeah it was pretty weird, but he won anyway.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I thought up two others. What about Michael Smith (from Chef at Home & Chef at Large)? They need more Canadians! & what about Heston Blumenthal? Michelin named his restaurant the best in the world in 2001(?) & he's got that cool In Search of Perfection show. & why not Alton Brown himself? The same sort of thing happened on the old Iron Chef; Kaga said if Dr Hattori beat one of the Iron Chefs he could become an Iron Chef himself, but he lost. (I've only read about that one)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Senior Cook

sorry about digging up this ancient thread (someone move it to a newer thread if necessary) but this is the only one I could remember. how about this guy vs. someone else who gets ridiculous, like batali! that would be madness

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

or the guy in this story
Vancouver's Chinese food world's 'best' - thestar.com
Lin Chinese Cuisine and Tea House | West Broadway, Vancouver
or more generally
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

or vij of course
VIJ'S