Brazil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
One son planning on trip to Brazil. Anyone here been there? Should I be worried about food? What shots would you suggest? First time out of country and I do not have clue what to advise. My only thoughts are when he will return. Thanks for understanding. He has made comment that he wants to see where Pele llved. Pele was huge soccer player at one time.

Is he going to Rio or other parts of Brazil? I've never been but I've had friends who went and were robbed blind by swaming bands of little kids who literally stole the gold chains off of their necks.
Do we have any Brazilian DC members?

I would definitely call your doctor and see what shots are necessary for the trip and make sure his passport is up to date.

I am sure he will have a wonderful trip - tell him to take pictures so we can see what a beautiful country Brazil is.

How exciting for your son, ITK! How old is he? We moms always tend to worry too much, don't we? How long will he be gone? I'm sure he'll make wonderful memories and will have many stories to share when he returns home.

Toots

Toots said:
Is he going to Rio or other parts of Brazil? I've never been but I've had friends who went and were robbed blind by swaming bands of little kids who literally stole the gold chains off of their necks.
Do we have any Brazilian DC members?

Like you read my mind! Guess we only hear the negative stuff but if they were your friends I am sure they won't go back. That is what I read from some site about the place. To be CAREFUL! He will be gone for around 14 days and if he water doesn't get him the natives will. If I told you the complete background of his trip you would really wonder what kind of person he is. You just cannot judge people by the company they keep. Maybe underlying reason that I am not aware of. One day I'll tell you everything.

He is 30 and has his wits about him but being a mom you worry no matter where they are. Thanks for all your concern and just hope all goes well. I know I am praying lot. Has to be on one plane over 10 hours. I would go crazy. to sit in one place. Guess you can tell I am not world traveler.

don't worry, he'll have a great time!

any time you're headed overseas, go hit up the CDC's travel advisory page:
Travelers' Health | CDC

they have a section there on what vaccinations are reccomended by destination. for that part of the world, yellow fever is definitely the biggie, but it's good (for most people, regardless of your travel stats, actually) to go ahead & get hep a & b taken care of too.

fireweaver

fireweaver said:
don't worry, he'll have a great time!

any time you're headed overseas, go hit up the CDC's travel advisory page:
Travelers' Health | CDC

they have a section there on what vaccinations are reccomended by destination. for that part of the world, yellow fever is definitely the biggie, but it's good (for most people, regardless of your travel stats, actually) to go ahead & get hep a & b taken care of too.

fireweaver, thanks for your encouragement. My feelings come in waves. i am ready to tell him to forget it, then again grow up, he has to. Is this not dumb?

As you said, will have great time, I hope. Thanks for understanding. No matter what age, you sure hope they stay well.

Hi,

I´m Brazilian. I can understand your worries about your son visit to Brazil - I know that usually only the negative things are shown.

If you have concerns about safety, you can take a look at this link Gringoes . You can learn a little bit more about Brazil in this website - it is done for foreigns that live in Brazil.

In general, I guess your son you like very much Brazil. It´s a beautiful country, with very nice and friendly people, very good food, etc.

Thanks.

weloveseafood said:
Hi,

I´m Brazilian. I can understand your worries about your son visit to Brazil - I know that usually only the negative things are shown.

If you have concerns about safety, you can take a look at this link Gringoes . You can learn a little bit more about Brazil in this website - it is done for foreigns that live in Brazil.

In general, I guess your son you like very much Brazil. It´s a beautiful country, with very nice and friendly people, very good food, etc.

Aren't you breath of fresh air? You are from Brazil and you feel my worries are for nothing? This is first trip out of country and I am hoping he will have good time. Friendly people? Good food? what more could a mother want? Thank you for your response. As you said, worry probably for nothing. I just hope he meets all the people you are referring to. He loves to eat and is friendly person too. thank you so much for responding.

Were you living in Brazil at one time? What town? I think he is going to someplace called San Palos. I hope I have it right.

Hi Mom,

I used to live in Sao Paulo (now I´m living in Germany). If your son is going to a big city like Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro I would advice him to pay attention to those security tips (for instance avoid unlit areas at night) - attention is always good, I guess no matter the country where we are. I would also recommend him to take a look at that site, there people with the same perspective share their experiences.

I must also say that not so many people in Brazil speak English, so if he could learn some basic sentences in Portuguese would be nice (if he speaks Spanish is ok because these languages are pretty similar).

I´m not sure if he needs a visa, so he should check it.

Well, I also wish him a great time in Brazil, that he meets great people. Greetings for you Mom

Last edited:
weloveseafood said:
Hi Mom,

I used to live in Sao Paulo (now I´m living in Germany). If your son is going to a big city like Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro I would advice him to pay attention to those security tips (for instance avoid unlit areas at night) - attention is always good, I guess no matter the country where we are. I would also recommend him to take a look at that site, there people with the same perspective share their experiences.

I must also say that not so many people in Brazil speak English, so if he could learn some basic sentences in Portuguese would be nice (if he speaks Spanish is ok because these languages are pretty similar).

I´m not sure if he needs a visa, so he should check it.

Well, I also wish him a great time in Brazil, that he meets great people. Greetings for you Mom

Thank you for the nice greeting. How do you like Germany? Can you speak the language? What is so strange is, Germany is place he has always hoped to visit. Now he tells me he has plans to visit his friend in Germany soon. I may get used to this traveling business. How do you a survive the plane trip? Do you take some food along for such a long, confined plane trip? He has to be on one plane for more than 10 hours! Have you been to other countries too?

Yes, I´ve learned the language in order to be able to communicate with people. If you son would like to visit Germany, it is also a great choice - Germany is a country with so much history (and you should make no worry - it is a very safety country), beautiful cities, culture, etc.

Well, when I travel for 10 - 12 hours I just try to sleep, I watch some film, and eat :)

Yes, fortunately I had the opportunity to visit other countries - I and my husband love to travel, get to know other places, cultures, etc.

Where do you come from? In which city do you live?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom