"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Master Chef

Bread and Butter, Ham and Eggs...

Some foods are just meant to be together - if only in a phrase! Do you have any foods that MUST include a certain side dish to make it "just-right"?

For me, if I'm serving something with BBQ sauce, it just has to have corn along side. Frozen or canned, fresh, whatever. There is something that tastes just-right to me when those are eaten at the same meal.

I know I have others, but what are your perfect pairings? And I suppose it goes without saying that pretty much anything goes with bacon.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Meatloaf & (s)mashed potatoes.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Master Chef

Vodka and olives!

Pork and applesauce.

Pancakes and maple syrup

I am always curious about how these combinations came to be. If you look deep enough you usually see that it was simply what people had to work with at the time.

The pork and apple tradition probably came about because farmers butchered pigs in the late fall or early winter, in the days prior to refrigeration, when the cellar was full of apples.

The pancake and maple syrup tradition might have come about after a long winter when other supplies were exhausted and the maple sap started to run in the early spring.

The vodka and olives have me stumped!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

Pancakes and sausage. For some reason, bacon with pancakes is just wrong. And it must be links not patties.

Meatloaf must have green beans. The starch can be mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese but the veggie must be green beans.

Grilled cheese sandwich needs cream of tomato soup. It's just weird when they aren't together.

Chili and cornbread/corn chips. I like cornbread but DH doesn't so sometimes I'll sub Fritos and stir them in my chili.

Ham and beans, cornbread with butter and maple syrup.

Probably have more but those are the ones I think of first.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Steak and potatoes.

Fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

I'm sensing a theme.

Peanut butter and strawberry jam.

Tomatoes and basil.

Pasta and tomato sauce.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The vodka and olives have me stumped!
You need some kind of nourishment while getting sloshed.

Fried eggs need toast.
Of course the toast needs butter.

It can be a vicious circle.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

If I am having mashed potatoes with gravy, any kind of gravy, I have to have either corn or peas as a vegetable, although I know they aren't really vegetables.

Oh, and I have to mix them into the mashed potatoes before I eat them!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

Sir_Loin, I love corn when mashed potatoes are on my plate too. Gotta run those bits of corn into the potatoes and get them all stuck together in one lump of yum!

I see some challenges to my favorite couples. Sorry GG, I'm not a fan of strawberry jam, but I love cherry preserves on a PB sandwich. Next time I have strawberry jam in the house for Himself I'll have to see if my taste buds have changed. Oddly enough, one of my favorite PB sandwiches in on honey wheat bread with honey instead of jelly/jam. Warning, it's messy! I do like mashes spuds with meatloaf. One restaurant we've been to grills the slabs of meatloaf and serves them on top of the mashed! The have an awesome onion Guinness gravy they serve with it. *moan*

jabbur, you are welcome to all the tomato soup that should be my share. Again, another thing I should try again just to see if my taste buds grew up over the decades. Who has a really good recipe for fresh-made tomato soup? Gotta be better than Campbell's, et al.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Fried eggs need toast.
Of course the toast needs butter.

It can be a vicious circle.

If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw...

Between "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and "Goodnight Moon" I'm wasting too much valuable space in my rapidly diminishing memory bank.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw...

Between "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and "Goodnight Moon" I'm wasting too much valuable space in my rapidly diminishing memory bank.

That's a great story and I think I'd give that mouse what it wanted because it's rather articulate.

But around here I don't think any mouse would make it past asking for a straw. Ethel & Lucy are very good about keeping small furry creatures away.

The only ones they allow are ones that they bring in and want me to fix for them.

Tags
bread, butter, egg, eggs, ham