Bread that lasts for 60 days could cut food waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
BBC News - Bread that lasts for 60 days could cut food waste

In normal conditions, bread will go mouldy in around 10 days.

But an American company called Microzap says it has developed a technique that will keep the bread mould free for two months.

At its laboratory on the campus of Texas Tech University in Lubbock, chief executive Don Stull showed off the long, metallic microwave device that resembles an industrial production line. Originally designed to kill bacteria such as MRSA and salmonella, the researchers discovered it could kill the mould spores in bread in around 10 seconds.

"We treated a slice of bread in the device, we then checked the mould that was in that bread over time against a control, " he explained.

"And at 60 days it had the same mould content as it had when it came out of the oven."

MMMMMMMMMMM 60 day old bread:pig::-p:chef:

Blech! That would not work for me. The bread might not get moldy but it would be all dried out and yucky. I'm a fresh bread girl.

Gee, wouldn't buying only what you need for a week work just as well to prevent waste? Just saying......

Gee, wouldn't buying only what you need for a week work just as well to prevent waste? Just saying......
+ 1/2. Going to the store less often also cuts down on waste. However retardation of mold probably would not eliminate the rancidity problem and would likely reduce the availability of merchandise at bakery outlet (thrift) shops.

sure, i'd try the microwaved bread once i'm satisfied as to the safety of the process. personally, i rarely have a moldy bread issues, and i happen to like stale bread.

The only stale bread I have ever liked is when my mother would make me a cup of tea with milk and sugar. Then she would then take a piece of stale Italian bread and butter it. Then I would dunk the bread in the tea. A childhood favorite snack.

I bought a small loaf of white bread this morning for French Toast. The brilliant bagger put it on the bottom with my can goods on top. According to Spike I now have small pieces of bread for dieters. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom