Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I just wanted to say that I have been going through a higher than usual amount of eggs and bread lately, partly from having new pans to cook with :) and partly because of a movie.
I didn't really like the movie, "V for Vendetta", but he was cooking something in it that caught my eye immediately and I said, that looks good. I almost posted a question about it here, and maybe it's already been mentioned, but at any rate I was browsing a movie website and saw a FAQs page about the movie. Hoping to make more sense of the movie I read it and one of the questions was, what was he cooking for breakfast. The name that sticks in my head was a one-eyed jack. So simple and so good.
You take a small glass, cut out the center of a piece of bread, melt some butter, put the bread in the pan and crack an egg in the hole. Basically you cook it like a grilled cheese sandwich and flip it onto some more butter when the one side is done to your liking. You cook the "hole" too and you can keep track of the toasting progress by checking it rather than disrupting the egg.
I cook it so the egg is done all the way throough like a warm hardboiled egg. mmmm good :)

My boys loved this breakfast. I believe it was called a Bull's Eye back then.

QSis said:
Evidently, there are many names for this. Egg in the basket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never tried it, but it looks great!

Lee

Dang board lost my reply and gave me a "page cannot be displayed" after I hit Submit post...

Anyway :) I put the egg in immediately, not after the bread it toasted like Wiki says. I think some of the white soaks into the bread this way because something makes it taste like you are doing more than you actually are.
But it's all good :chef:

You're right, pacanis, it is delicious. I used to make it for my children. We called it "eggs in the hole." Sort of an all-in-one poached egg on toast. Sprinkle some fresh chives on top next time. That's good, too.

That was a recipe in my Girl Scout Cookbook...they called it "Egg in a Basket".
I've always like my egg served on toast anyway, so of course I like these.

My grandmother didn't call it anything inparticular but. "Eata yo breakfas before it gettsa cold" And she had put a roasted red pepper on top and sometimes a slice of fresh mozzarella! No matter what you call it - it's delicioso!!Love and energy, VIcki

I eat cereal 5 to 6 days a week. Except Saturdays..

Tomorrow it will be a settin of eggs
A loaf of toast....(no holes alowed)
A slab of Country Ham..
A bucket of Stone ground grits
A gallon of Red-eye gravy
And a pot of Coffee & Chicory...

Life will be good!:pig:

Sunday is my big breakfast cooking day. This morning it was cereal for me. Grape Nut Flakes straight up....But I'm not opposed to making a gashouse framed bullseye egg in a basket later on :-p

I am seriously thinking of getting myself a some chickens again. I think about it every spring and drew up some plans for an 8-12 bird coop, but maybe I'll downsize to 3 laying hens :) Problem is, there are minimum orders.

Back
Top Bottom