"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Poutine posted an idea I've heard of here that I thought was rather clever - the "lettuce" in the salad spinner (could also be presented in a salad bowl).

I'm ambivalent about the registry thing. Yes, no couple wants 6 toasters and a garbage can, but "asking" for the most expensive set of china/crystal/silver is extremely tacky, IMO - not to mention the absolute gall of "asking" for something like a 52-inch TV. I do not want to be solicited to participate in the business of financing young couple's highly expensive material aspirations.

Since when did the giving of shower/wedding gifts turn into extortion?

My niece is getting married next month. I sent a Wedgewood hostess serving set for the bridal shower I can't attend. We will be giving her a generous cash gift at the wedding because she has lots of debt from attending the expensive college she went to, but if she wants to spend it on towels or a concert that's up to her.

I just hope she hasn't purchased one of those little bags brides often seem to carry around at the receptions these days to slip the cards full of money into. Might as well tape signs to the backs of the couple that say SHOW ME THE MONEY.
finally someone thinks the same way about these gifts. haven't seen the bags, but have been at weddings where people give money to dance with the bride or groom. i think this is just awkward and tacky.

only give a gift that doesn't strain your budget.

babe

Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I didn't register when we got married. I can see the pro's for doing so, but I like to be surprised!! We had a big wedding, and got some lovely presents. Amazingly, we only doubled up on one thing that mattered - we got two crockpots. Thankfully, I was able to return the second one.

Some people did ask me what we wanted, so I managed to mention some of the things that we really needed.

And we got given money by a number of people. Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, this was VERY much appreciated. We were just starting out, and there are some things that you just don't get as wedding presents. Coat hangers, pegs, a washing basket... to name a few! And I still look at the presents I bought with the money, and remember the person who gave it to us (i.e. 'Auntie Carolyn's breadmaker' etc).

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I think money is very appropriate because the bride will register for things she will never use even though she may believe in their wedded bliss she is going to bake bread etc. I say money with a note saying something about it's for something they didn't get or for a special dinner, rainy day etc down the line after they are married. OMG I'm always so practical. Just had another odd but practical idea how about a CD from the bank that will start them on an investment plan. I know,I know not much fun but better than a toaster but creative. Give them money that will make them money.