British Columbia Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't heard anything yet Barbara. That is a big one. Masset is located in the Queen Charlotte Islands which are off the north coast of British Columbia. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Tsunami warning. Oops! Just googled, there is a tsunami warning for coastal British Columbia and Alaska. I think that any members living in the Q.Charlottes or Prince Rupert and SE Alaska would probably be affected. BC is a huge Province with a massive amount of coastline. I doubt that southern coastal areas will have to worry, if they do then I do too! I live within a mile of the border right on the coast . ;-). Hope all of our DC family and friends are safe.

Haven't heard anything yet Barbara. That is a big one. Masset is located in the Queen Charlotte Islands which are off the north coast of British Columbia. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Tsunami warning. Oops! Just googled, there is a tsunami warning for coastal British Columbia and Alaska. I think that any members living in the Q.Charlottes or Prince Rupert and SE Alaska would probably be affected. BC is a huge Province with a massive amount of coastline. I doubt that southern coastal areas will have to worry, if they do then I do too! I live within a mile of the border right on the coast . ;-). Hope all of our DC family and friends are safe.

Get your snorkel ready!:ermm:

We are getting reports now. One town on the north coast of Vancouver Island (Tofino) has decided to evacuate to their emergency center. They are waiting to get the all clear.

PF. My snorkel is ready ;-)

Last edited:
Just heard that the north coast of Washington State is now under Tsunami warning along with the south coast of BC..

Last edited:
Yep, I am here, safe, dry and unshaken.

We are waiting to hear word from our niece and nephew, my SIL and a couple of friends who are all on the the coast or Vancouver Island. I have a friend from culinary school who works in Tofino so she will be evacuated now.

Just for information, and in case it confuses anyone, The Queen Charlotte Islands were renamed Haida Gwaii awhile back. So you may here reference to either of these names (I still think of it as QC) but it is the same place.

Some people in the Lower Mainland (Greater Vancouver) region felt the quake but Surrey, where we are did not. We should be sheltered from any Tsunami as well.

But if things change I will let you know.

Laurie hope your friends and family are okay. I suspect that even with the tsunami advisory (actually downgraded to an alert now) those on the coast will be safe like those of us who are in protected coastal areas.

Thanks, Bunny.
I just heard from my niece on the coast and they are all fine and were on alert to evacuate but that has been rescinded and they are fine. So I am sure all others are fine too.

I can go rest comfortably now!

I put on the weather channel to see what our storm on the East Coast was doing. They were talking about tsunami warnings all along the west coast down to San Diego. I had just taken two Vicodin and wanted to know where the earthquake was. We have a lot of members all along that area. But they never did say before the Vicodin kicked in. Off to sleep I went. I am so glad everyone is safe.

I would love to see just once in my lifetimie where from the West Coast to the East Coast, every place in the U.S. has sunshine and temps in the low 70's at the same time. :angel:

LPBeier said:
No tsunamis, little damage and everyone I know is safe and sound! :)

So glad for that. The weather is a little unpredictable for a lot of our DC friend's right now. Scary. Glad all is well for you my friend.

I haven't been concerned at all about this present storm. Then I watched the news. The storm is 600 miles away from us and already we had white caps. The Ferry service from the Islands (Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard) has been stopped. The last trip they made had 500 people on it and they had to pass out barf bags. The ride was really rough. Very rarely does the ferry have a problem. It has a flat bottom. We have at least one Nor'easter a year. No big deal. But this storm is wide. It hasn't even hit land and it is raising all sorts of problems.

All our wiring is underground. So I am not worried about losing our lights. But I do have my cell phone plugged in just in case. We will get a lot of wind. I live only a block from the Atlantic. I just might take my scooter and go watch the storm tomorrow. :angel:

Addie, you messed with my poor early morning brain. I was reading about the BC stuff and then couldn't figure out your post until you had the Nantucket bit. I was thinking, "I thought Addie lived on the EAST coast". I get you now. Just threw me for a bit.

Laurie, glad all is well. I couldn't believe it when I heard there might be a tsunami! I know you're a bit further inland but still! I've got family in White Rock, Burnaby (on the mountain thank god!) and over on the Island. I've been a bit unsettled about this.

If this tectonic weirdness keeps up I might end up with oceanfront property after all. I don't think it would be worth it.

I live only a block from the Atlantic Ocean. I have my windows open. Great breeze blowing in. A good time to get some fresh air into the apartment. The wind is picking up. And I can smell the salt air. :angel:

Addie, you messed with my poor early morning brain. I was reading about the BC stuff and then couldn't figure out your post until you had the Nantucket bit. I was thinking, "I thought Addie lived on the EAST coast". I get you now. Just threw me for a bit.

Laurie, glad all is well. I couldn't believe it when I heard there might be a tsunami! I know you're a bit further inland but still! I've got family in White Rock, Burnaby (on the mountain thank god!) and over on the Island. I've been a bit unsettled about this.

If this tectonic weirdness keeps up I might end up with oceanfront property after all. I don't think it would be worth it.

It keeps up and I will have lake bottom property...oh, I only have to worry if we hit an Ice Age...

Back
Top Bottom