Broiling and other stuff I've learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rom

Sous Chef
HA i finally know what "broilling" is ha MWUAHAHA sorry i just kept seeing it over and over and finally went WHAT IS IT?? so go over to the WIKI in Australia its just GRILLING, like we have a griller that grills its a seperate part of the oven at the bottom, ha..gees :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I also now know what the following mean or are either reading about it here or finding it here and using Wiki so i don't look stupid in asking what it means :ermm::

- Cool whip
- "Lights"
- wat evoo means (how obvious when u realise LOL)
- Egg Nog is not for this time of the year LOL but i wanna make it anways
- not to stick chilli's in oil and leave them there,
which leads to
- botulism
- you can freeze more than i imagined lol
- cornstarch is a good thickener (but finding it is another story)
- its better to use Brown sugar if it asks for it, cos things are more moist and chewy (thx alix for this and corstarch lol)
- you shouldn't browse this website when hungry!
- i can make my own vanilla essence with vodka :)
- different oils are good for diff things, didn't know evoo couldn't get up there in the hot hot area for deep frying
- if u don't know, someone else will on this site. there are EXPERTS here :chef:!!!
- biscuit is something different in the US than it is in Australia
- butts are something u cook/eat LOLLL :ROFLMAO: (sorry, being childish :LOL: )
- there is something called Kosher salt, and it has a larger grain than normal salt lol
- there is a trick to cooking with wine
- people eat a lot of burgers (i might eat a burger once every 6mths at maccas if i have a *cringes* "craving"
- there is a recipe for EVERYTHING u can think of ;) (i removed a proper wink smiley from here, u will know why at the end of the post)
- i need a bigger kichen with more cooking space and storage and a nice oven
- cut and paste is a wonderful thing

i have learnt lots more can't think of it right now and this post is getting longer and longer. :)

p.s u are limited to using 8 Smilies in one post, if u use 9 u will have to delete one LOLLLL

Last edited:
Well, Rom, you have been a very good student. You have learned many things, some of which you haven't learned the vernacular. That is, biscuit and cookie/cracker mean something different to you. You are also learning to use new ingredients and are excited about using them. For example, brown sugar.

We all have to start somewhere and you have added to your knowledge in a very short time.

None of us came out of the womb being Julia Child. Oh, that I would've loved to have been able to be. She was a gem.

Keep asking questions and soak up the answers like a sponge.

sponge.jpg

There! :)

ok i think if i get the actual pic it will be even bigger than that one :S so i won't put it, but i don't need to anyways cos you did LOL

I got a huge kick out of your posting. I have in my life had a number of British, Australian, and New Zealand acquaintances and friends, plus read a lot, so I get a kick out of these differences in the English language. I read to a blind friend a couple times a week, and quite often the lit is of Australian or British origins, and I often find myself telling my buddies that a jumper is a pull-over sweater, or a fag is not a homosexual man but a cigarette. It is quite funny and I enjoy it. My friend asks me how I know all these things. For one, I read way too much. For two, I have a lot of friends (I don't believe there is such a thing as having too many friends). And three, I've typed for the military, in departments where they needed someone to type for international reading. So I learned to automatically think in terms of "colour" instead of "color", etc. When I typed for a living, I could type in both British English and US English. For some reason this attitude has crossed into cooking; I know that an aubergine is an egglplant, etc. I consider it to be all good fun.

Glad u got a kick :)
its good to get a hang of the differences that for sure lol, so u know when i spell Jewellery and Chilli they really do have a double L LOLLLL down under (speaking of which the spell checker in Firefox just picked both those words for mistakes and tried to correct them with one "L" LOLL)

oh yeah in Oz, we call Okras, Okras and not Lady Fingers LOL

I love the differences. I love finding out that some ingredients and products that are hard to come by here are commonplace elsewhere and vice versa. I love finding out that we use the same terms for completely different things. I sometimes think it will be sad when globalised English takes over the world. On the other hand, globalised English will make it easier to make new friends.

hey Ozgal, ever come across Turkey bacon anywhere? i wish i could find that LOL, im not too far from sydney, was there last nite :)

Back
Top Bottom