Brother needs prayers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
My brother called and said that the doctor said he has MYELODYSPLASTIC SYNDROME (MDS). Myelodysplastic syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Late last year he had an large ANEURYSM break in his stomach. He had to have 8 units of blood replaced. He was within minutes of death. Thank God the doctors were able to save him.
My question is this, I was wondering when they test blood (before they give you a transfusion), do they check for, Xylene and Benzene? These can be causes of MDS. We should all be very aware of these, they can cause all sort of medical problems.
He is coming to town this weekend and I will be finding out what sort of treatment he will be undergoing. Please keep Bill in your thought and prayers.

He is lucky to have survived the aneurysm. Yes they do test blood for all kinds of contaminants.
I have also had lower abdominal aneurysm repair. Not fun, but I'm here to talk about it at least!
Good thoughts going your way.

All best wishes to your brother.

No, they do not test blood for aromatic hydrocarbons, or any chemicals at all. They do test for diseases such as hepatitis and HIV.

However benzene, xylene and such are only minimally soluble in blood and the quantity in a few transfusions, if any, would be insufficient to cause MDS. Generally folks who develop MDS secondary to chemicals need more proloned exposure.

Again God bless your brother and we all hope for the best.

Many prayers and good thoughts for your brother and your family.

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom