Brown Recluse Spider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you have the ability to go see a doc, don't try a self diagnosis. period.
and then don't always trust the first doc you see.

i've been bitten by lots of stuff over the years, and have gotten infections from a few. my docs often guessed spiders, i suppose, from my suggestion; not from any kind of testing.
one time a doc said i had a spider bite and treated it as such, but a second doc ended up cutting out the head and claws of a wood tick a few painful days later.
from conversations with many appalachian trail hikers i've met, doctors seem to gravitate towards spider bites for explanations, but i tend to doubt that they all were. there's lots of creepy crawlers that have a taste for human blood.

just for scare value, the recent outbreaks of super resistant staph infections, m.s.r.a., was misdiagnosed as spider bites for a long time. here's some info on m.s.r.a. (please read the healthcare provider info): MRSA Infection (False Spider Bite)

Well, some will call this an urban legend, some a myth .... but not those who do a little research on the subject of how amino acids break down the proteins in insect/spider toxins. There was a good article published by a doctor in Denton, TX back in the mid 1970's in the JAOA (Journal of the American Osteopathic Association) that went into this - although I don't remember him identifying which specific amino acid, or combination, was the de-facto component.

When you get a bite - make a paste of Adolph's Original (unseasoned) Meat Tenderizer and put it on the bite ... cover with a band-aid that has been moistened with a couple or three drops of water (moist - not wet). Repeat 3-4 times a day for a day or two - until the redness and itching goes away. (see disclaimer below)

The papain (the papaya extract) breaks down the toxin and helps stop/limit the necrosis associated with the venom in the brown recluse bite. I have never heard of a "confirmed" brown recluse bite that didn't have associated necrosis of tissue that didn't continue until treated (and we have a lot of them around where I live). Ironically, the solution that is generally used to debride necrotic tissue contains papain - which stops the necrosis and the antibiotics which were administered are mistakenly thought to be the cure.

Now, The Disclaimer: This is usually effective for insect toxins which can cause necrosis and localized histamine responses (reddening and itching) - not any diseases they may carry (such as lyme disease from ticks), which would require antibiotics - or for any serious allergic (anaphylactic) reactions which would require the quick administration of antihistamines.

Anyway, Renee - glad you went to see the Doc!

Actually when I was in my teens, I got bitten by a scorpion and the poison control center told my folks to put meat tenderizer on it too. It worked like a charm. A few days later there was no sign of the bite

I stepped on a wee scorpion when I was about 17 and unfortunately there was no meat tenderizer on hand. My poor leg throbbed the rest of the night. I had never know such pain up until then (of course labor pains superceded that a few years later). The only thing that comforted me was witnessing my uncle stomping on it as I screamed bloody murder in the background. Glad that you had the miracle potion on hand, Renee, as I understand the scorpion sting can be fatal for many people.

Back
Top Bottom