"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How about some information on Firefox for the uninitiated? I keep hearing about it, but know nothing and am frankly, frightened of making such a change.
I resisted the change for a LONG time PF. (Ask GB!) I finally got frustrated with IE crashing on me and made the switch. I've never looked back. Firefox has tabs, it will import all your bookmarks, and generally make surfing the web easier and faster. The biggest selling feature is that you can customize it to be virtually your perfect browser. Bothered by ads? Install Adblock. Want it to look prettier? Colorful Tabs is here! Once you install Firefox the add-ons are easy to cruise through. And nothing is permanent, you can uninstall them just as easily as you install them.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I resisted the change for a LONG time PF. (Ask GB!) I finally got frustrated with IE crashing on me and made the switch. I've never looked back. Firefox has tabs, it will import all your bookmarks, and generally make surfing the web easier and faster. The biggest selling feature is that you can customize it to be virtually your perfect browser. Bothered by ads? Install Adblock. Want it to look prettier? Colorful Tabs is here! Once you install Firefox the add-ons are easy to cruise through. And nothing is permanent, you can uninstall them just as easily as you install them.
Using Firefox on my PC I found it to be not much different from IE as far as learning to use it. Any differences are really minor as far as navigation. The real differences are the extras and the stability. It should also be faster than IE.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I just downloaded Firefox for my MacBook and I have fallen in love all over again.

Zhizara, there is an extension for Adblock that deals with the text ads you are getting on the other sites. I don't know if this will work for you, but can you right click on the bookmark for your Sudoku solver and click Open in New Tab?
Opening in a new tab doesn't stop it from being covered up by any new site I open unless I take the time (and remember) to open a new tab page first. Since I work on the puzzles any time of day, it's just easier to open the solver in IE and leave it there where it won't get "bumped" by the next site I open. That way I don't have to sign in again. This is also especially helpful when I order something from WalMart and am tracking the shipment. If I have it open in FF, it will eventually get bumped and I have to go back to the original email from WalMart, go to my account to get the tracking number then go to the FedEx (or other) to find out where my order is. When I leave it open in IE, it stays open and all I have to do to check my order is to refresh.

Other than those sites, I use FireFox for everything.

One of my biggest frustrations at first, was being able to use my Favorites. Bookmarks are just not as good, but I was able to solve that completely with the add-on plainoldfavorites. Not only does it give me a Favorites category in the toolbar, but any updates or changes I make works on the Favorites both in FireFox as well as IE.

The only nitpick I have is that it automatically sorts my favorites alphabetically when I'd rather keep my favorite Favorites in the top couple of places and the bottom couple of places so they are quick to find, but that's easy to fix by creative naming of the favorites so they end up where I want them.

I did try the colored tabs, but I couldn't tell which tab I was on and they were hard for me to read so I just went back to regular tabs where the tab I'm on is highlighted.

I also set up a persona color because I was having trouble reading the toolbar. The lighter color makes the black print stand out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for all the info, Everyone! Do I just Google "Firefox"? This is not something I will do tonight, I'll wait for the weekend when I can play with it, learn it and get it set up.

Then I can do a demo for Shrek and get him to change!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Ooooh, what will he change into???

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #16
Everymom

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, Everyone! Do I just Google "Firefox"? This is not something I will do tonight, I'll wait for the weekend when I can play with it, learn it and get it set up.

I posted the links in my first post. One is just to Firefox for PC, the other is Firefox for Mac. That will make it easier for you.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Ooooh, what will he change into???
This morning...maybe a semblance of a human being...he's being a weirdo!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I posted the links in my first post. One is just to Firefox for PC, the other is Firefox for Mac. That will make it easier for you.

Thanks, I'll look again!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I installed Firefox on my Mac today. It is much faster than Safari. I have not added any add-ons yet and am not bothered by ads.

However, I do have an issue. With IE, Safari and Firefox on my PC, a read post on DC caused the Thread title to go from bolded to regular type. That enabled me to keep visually track of which threads I had read and which I had not. I use the New Posts to read new activity.

With this new Firefox on my Mac, the thread title stays bolded after I have read the last post or after adding a post.

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #20
Everymom

You can refresh each time, or you can use the Power Users page.