"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Everymom

Browsers, Blockers and Tips (oh my!)

Hey all, I just installed Firefox for my Mac and a bunch of AWESOME addons. I thought I'd start this thread as a place to share stuff for our computers that everyone might find useful.

I know some folks were having issues with the drop down ads, and other things so lets use this as a helping spot.

I use Firefox now exclusively (thanks GB) although I didn't mind Safari on my Mac. There are so many addons that make it easy to use, and connect all the various computers I use. My favorites are Adblock (for obvious reasons) and I like Colorful tabs too. (Mostly cuz its pretty! ) I'm off to investigate a few of the ones GB told me about, but I'm hoping he'll post some here too.

Anyone have any useful tips to post?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have a bunch that I love. I will try to post more later. My current favorite is Integrated Gmail. For those that use a lot of Google products (gmail, calendar, reader, google voice, etc.) it is awesome. It lets you put all of that on one page and customize how it looks. I would be lost without it these days. I can read my email while checking my calendar and sending a text all at the same time from the same page.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How about some information on Firefox for the uninitiated? I keep hearing about it, but know nothing and am frankly, frightened of making such a change.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

It is nothing scary at all PF. As a matter of fact you don't even need to make the change. You can use FF right along with Internet Explorer or any other browser. It does not have to be a one or the other sort of thing.

All FF is is a way to access the internet just as IE is a way to access the internet. Download it and try it out. You have nothing to lose. You do not have to change anything to do it. You just download it and run it and if you don't like it you uninstall it and nothing has changed.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I've used it on a PC and it works better than IE. The add-ons make it.

I now have a MacBook Pro but have stuck with Safari. Maybe I should switch again.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

PF, add-ons are little programs that let you customize how the browser works. For instance, the one Alix likes the most is called AdBlocker. Its only job is to block ads. Once you turn it on you no longer see any of those annoying ads on any internet page.

There are ad-ons for just about anything you can think of.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was having lots of trouble with IE8 crashing all the time and Alix turned me on to FF. With the AdBlocker I see no ads anywhere in DC. The only ones I ever get are a couple of pop-overs on some of the recipe newsletters I get.

I still have IE8 that I use for things I want to keep available all the time, like my sudoku solver which is signed in to the current issue of the sudoku book I'm working on. I use this because the one thing in FF that I haven't been able to achieve is for it to always open in a new tab. If there is something I need to keep open, I use IE8. Like tracking an order being shipped to me.

You really ought to try it Princess. Like Alix said, you aren't changing anything, just adding another internet browser.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For Firefox, I really like the add-on: TabMix Plus.

I am currently using Google Chrome. I really like it. It has a nifty feature called an "Incognito Window". You can open an icognito window while you leave your regular window open. It doesn't save any of your cookies, once you close it. It makes it really easy for someone to check their Gmail account or log in to Facebook, and I don't have to log out first. What they do in their incognito window is completely separate.

I just download the portable version and will be installing Chrome on my USB keys.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've used it on a PC and it works better than IE. The add-ons make it.

I now have a MacBook Pro but have stuck with Safari. Maybe I should switch again.
I just downloaded Firefox for my MacBook and I have fallen in love all over again.

Zhizara, there is an extension for Adblock that deals with the text ads you are getting on the other sites. I don't know if this will work for you, but can you right click on the bookmark for your Sudoku solver and click Open in New Tab?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Everymom

I don't know who uses what, but I know on our PC we use freeware for everything.

Grisoft is our anti virus software.
Ad Aware is our spyware cleanup tool.
Zone Alarm is our firewall

These are all free downloads and they work really well. No need to spend big bucks on Norton or McAfee with these around IMO.