"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I'm an old hippie, and relentlessly thrifty. I murder money. LOL. Consider going here: HotCouponWorld We don't eat much processed food, but I save a lot on paper goods, (tissues, tp, towels,) and and health, beauty and toiletries.

And no, you don't get stuff for free, but when I'm careful, matching coupons to sales, I can save 60 - 78%. I also stock up, and can, freeze and dehydrate.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Staying on a budget for me is easier if you deal all in cash. Dave Ramsey (I have heard his radio show) writes a book about using an envalope system with cash. We have just done our own system, but we used cash. We also payed off our debts (except the house) before buying anything else. It is hard at times, but I am happy to say that we now can watch TV on a 37 inch TV instead of the 19 inch we watched for years. We also bought our first new car (for cash). It is hard to keep to a budget, but it is worth it in the end. The house is our last debt to pay off, but that will be in another three years I think!
Coupons are also a great way to save. And we have also watched for sales for food. We didn't buy hardly anything unless it was on sale.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Staying on a budget for me is easier if you deal all in cash. Dave Ramsey (I have heard his radio show) writes a book about using an envalope system with cash. We have just done our own system, but we used cash. We also payed off our debts (except the house) before buying anything else. It is hard at times, but I am happy to say that we now can watch TV on a 37 inch TV instead of the 19 inch we watched for years. We also bought our first new car (for cash). It is hard to keep to a budget, but it is worth it in the end. The house is our last debt to pay off, but that will be in another three years I think!
Coupons are also a great way to save. And we have also watched for sales for food. We didn't buy hardly anything unless it was on sale.
The hotcouponworld site has a "Dave Ramsay support thread." That site is about couponing, but also about best deals, sales, frugal living.

We don't owe anthing, including a mortgage; paid it off last year.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Keeping out of debt -- yes, I under stand, not only difficult, but for some, impossible -- is a big part of it. I've always considered home and auto to be acceptable debts, but a decade or so ago we managed to even get out from under those. I've even known friends who won incredible (to me) amounts of money ... and wound up back in debt in no time flat.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
The hotcouponworld site has a "Dave Ramsay support thread." That site is about couponing, but also about best deals, sales, frugal living.

We don't owe anthing, including a mortgage; paid it off last year.
Jars also work. The Canadian show, "Til Debt do Us Part" has people using the jar system. And, cutting up the credit cards. Cash or nothing. Acceptable debts are mortgage, car, insurance, heat, electricity. Food budget goes in a jar, as does money for gas, etc.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Jars also work. The Canadian show, "Til Debt do Us Part" has people using the jar system. And, cutting up the credit cards. Cash or nothing. Acceptable debts are mortgage, car, insurance, heat, electricity. Food budget goes in a jar, as does money for gas, etc.
And...now that everything is under control (most importantly me), I am using my credit card for almost everything and paying it off each and every month. It is a money maker because I don't pay interest, and I get rewards back on it. A win-win for me!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
And...now that everything is under control (most importantly me), I am using my credit card for almost everything and paying it off each and every month. It is a money maker because I don't pay interest, and I get rewards back on it. A win-win for me!
I do this too, Chopper. Additionally, it gives me an itemized statement of what I spend each month.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We were able to get out from under when my MIL died. Now it's just finishing off my student loans, everything else is paid for. Now I can make triple payments each month on the student loans and I'm finally seeing the light of day past them.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We were able to get out from under when my MIL died. Now it's just finishing off my student loans, everything else is paid for. Now I can make triple payments each month on the student loans and I'm finally seeing the light of day past them.
It feels SO good to pay that last one.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
It feels SO good to pay that last one.
At the rate I was going I was going to be finishing them when I turned 78...