Bugs!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Kitchen said:
The exterminator came and sprayed. Hope he got them all. He didn't even know what they were. Now he told me he is sending out inspector to verify that if I have Carpenter Ants? It seems I am having my own personal war here.

Carpenter ants are bad little beasties. Fortunately though, they are easy to get rid of. You just put out their favorite treat and they take it back to their lair and they are toast.

Favorite treat is equal portions of icing sugar and boric acid (available at any pharmacy over the counter). Mix well and sprinkle whereever you have seen them. If you HAVEN'T seen them, sprinkle it near any sources of wood that might be rotting.

wolf spiders

lindatoo, sorry your had to find out that way what they were. They are truly ugly. Someone said they have their babies on their back which makes them more horrible. I had to laugh about the toilet but I can relate to being in that position if I hadn't called exterminator. I didn't want them to get to acquainted. The fact that they jump at you only makes them more ugly. Not afraid of you. Hope they haven't bothered you in a personal place again. Did they exterminate or was he a loner? I never think someone is alone when you see them. They are just multilying someplace until the right time. Havent' seen any yet, now to battle these carpenter ants. No rest. What a story lindatoo you made me grateful I did call the exterminator. Thanks. Happy you have a pastor when you need them.

Brown Recluse

Today the inspector came for checking for carpenter ants at the suggestion of the exterminator. Not only did he find carpenter ants but brown recluse spiders. I have been hearing about them for so long and here they are in my own house. Now I have to have treatment for getting rid of both carpenter ants and brown recluse. Since I live here in Missouri they are quite common. The inspector told me since the dogs are older, blind and diabetic their immune system is not good and should be protected from the spider's bite. He is going to first do trial with glue boards of some kind and then in 30 days check to see how many are caught. This is so upsetting to me that I want to throw everything out. They do like to hide he said and I should be extremely careful when handling anything. Do you ever feel a prisoner in your own home? He said my neighbors aren't probably aware of them and only will realize when someone gets bit. Just thought I would keep you up to date on this bug problem that seems to be developing into a real nightmare. And I thought Stephen King wrote fiction. I feel like I am living one of his books. Not funny when you are in the middle of this.

Wow, ITK. I am so sorry to hear that. Either of those are pretty horrific. At least you're getting aggressive on eliminating them - thank goodness the exterminator came out when he did!

ITK, do you have an attic? I understand the spiders will prefer that area to most others. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles continuing. That is just awful. Hang in there. The exterminator is going to get rid of all of them for you and it will be OK. They call them "recluse" spiders because they really would rather stay the heck away from all other big living things so they shouldn't bother you too much. Just be careful and know that we are all with you.

TexasBlueHeron said:
Wow, ITK. I am so sorry to hear that. Either of those are pretty horrific. At least you're getting aggressive on eliminating them - thank goodness the exterminator came out when he did!

Thanks TBH for your concern. I feel so alone when it happens to the place where you live. I know this is small in comparison to what is happening with Katrina but it seems very big to me. I just get so paranoid about bugs of any kind. I sure do appreciate your comments. I am reading all about the spiders on the Internet. That is where I learned about the wolf spiders.

attic

Alix said:
ITK, do you have an attic? I understand the spiders will prefer that area to most others. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles continuing. That is just awful. Hang in there. The exterminator is going to get rid of all of them for you and it will be OK. They call them "recluse" spiders because they really would rather stay the heck away from all other big living things so they shouldn't bother you too much. Just be careful and know that we are all with you.

Thanks again, Alix. I do have an attic. I have more actvitiy up there and I can't go up myself since there are no steps. Ladder has to be used and that is over the basement steps. You really hit a sore spot when you mentioned the attic. We probably have lot of dead corpse up there. That is what the recluse like is dead insects! Wonderful Good news to hear they want to stay away from me. I bet more people around here have them and don't know it. I just have ongoing bugs coming here. The exterminator said they like trees and the neighbor has more than 8 large mature trees on their property which isn't big lot. They are really growing into one another. So exterminator coming next week to put down some type of glue board and after 30 days he will check to see how many recluse he accumulates to see if I need recluse treatment which takes period of year. I actually have to leave the house with the dogs for 6-8 hour for the initial two treatments. They are hard to kill. More wonderful! Oh he is going to take care of the carpenter ants when he comes. Only requires one treatment so he says. I do appreciate your interest as discussing this with the family (men) don't relate to me being upset. I even have to put them in a bottle so they can take them and have it confirmed. I thought the durn thing moved. I tried to clean my closets and saw spiders in there! Do I sound paranoid? I am. Thanks again for your understanding. I just think men have to get bitten before they believe.

YIKES! Don't let them go that far! Those recluse spider bites are pretty nasty! I don't want to scare you further, I think you already have a healthy respect for those little monsters, but if your "boys" aren't paying you any mind you might want to do a little Googling for spider bite pix and show them what can happen. It is pretty darned gross.

Alix

Thanks for your attention and support. It really does help me cope with remaining calm. Maybe that is why I don't move around too much today. How can you be sure where they are? I can't hear them crawling. The guy said their belly doesn't touch the floor that is why they are hard to kill unless you can squash them. The other spiders (wolf) jumped on us. Like you said they are all having quiet place in the attic. No lights up there. I do appreciate any kind of support you have. It is like having good friend who knows! Thanks, friend.

From what I have read, brown recluse spiders stay far back in closets or attics. The further they can get from people or other animals the better they like it. I really don't think you need to curtail your usual activities much. Stomp loud and they will scurry away. I am going to see if I can find a link for you. I read about them somewhere...

Brown recluse spiders generally occupy dark, undisturbed sites, and they can occur indoors or outdoors. In favorable habitats, their populations are usually dense. They thrive in human-altered environments. Indoors, they may be found in attics, basements, crawl spaces, cellars, closets, and ductwork or registers. They may seek shelter in storage boxes, shoes, clothing, folded linens, and behind furniture. They also may be found in outbuildings such as barns, storage sheds, and garages. Outdoors, brown recluse spiders may be found underneath logs, loose stones in rock piles, and stacks of lumber.

The brown recluse spider is not aggressive, and it normally bites only when crushed, handled or disturbed. Some people have been bitten in bed after inadvertently rolling over onto the spider. Others have been bitten after accidentally touching the spider when cleaning storage areas. Some bites occur when people put on seldom used clothing or shoes inhabited by a brown recluse.

OK, here are the two links I found. One of them has a map of areas where it is commonly found. The second one has the pictures of the spider bite and the aftereffects. WARNING!! It is really really gross! It is also a worst case scenario, most people do not react like that to the bite. I only included it so you could show it to your doubting Thomas men. It might make them more sympathetic to your upset about them. ITK, I know you have a sensitive nature so please judge whether or not you want to look at those pictures. I don't want to further upset you. Again, they are a very extreme case.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html

http://home.texoma.net/~linesden/spider.htm

Thanks Alix

It got my attention but then you knew that. I did what the inspector told me to do to check a site for info regarding them that way it would make his job easier. He knew I was alarmed. He told me to live the way I have been because if I tried to change something it would affect his job on trying to see just exactly if we have anything to be worried about. You knew it they are up there. I live here in Missouri and they are included on their location. It has had an affect on me being normal. Knowing they fear me doesn't really help much. I just wouldn't want to scare them. They are doing good job bothering me. Probably really nothing to worry about as long as they don't bother my dogs.

Alix

Do you believe they think this is silly? They tell me they aren't worried. Also said I could do all this myself and save the money. Are you the only one who understands? The fact that the neighbors have wood laying around from year to year doesn't help with the situation. The inspector said you can't do anything about your neighbors. Don't you think they have the spiders too? I am not about to discuss this with them. They would feel same way as my family. The wood is not used during winter. If only I had way to resolve this problem.

I think they are being a bit silly and pigheaded. That spider is nothing to mess with. I think that bugs in your house are not to be tolerated. You have to expect a FEW bugs in a basement or attic or whatever, but the numbers you have described sound like exterminator time to me.

Maybe they are trying to downplay stuff so you won't be so worried. That sounds like a real "guy" way to handle things. Caring about you, just showing it in a bit of an offbeat way. Y'know what I mean? Hope you are doing OK and not worrying too badly. Like I said, I think you will be OK, just be careful.

Alix, you're the voice of reason. Plus, it's not silly to be fearful of spiders, especially these guys. But I do know, from working closely with bug people over the years, that in recluse territory, just about every home has them to some degree - most of us never see them. You can put your own sticky traps out on the main floor, which may help. I agree that an extermination might put you more at ease, if you can get that going.

Tbh

TBH what were you doing to know so much about bugs? Did you see the brown recluse and wolf spiders? I don't understand after living here for many years that they appear just like overnight. Do you think, and I know I am pressing here, that when I did not eliminate the ladybugs as I was advised that they attracted the spiders? The local garden here said ladybugs were detrimental to the environment. Had them in attic for almost 3 years! Plus they were in my bedroom. I am really getting education here with bugs. Plus the dogs having fleas. TBH would you fumigate the house yourself if the sticky board prove to have more than average brown recluse? You really think everybody around here has them? How terrible! Alix I agree that they are being the macho thing here. They just think these things can be ignored. I really don't talk to about this to my friends. They wouldn't come in here. Would you? No one else comments about this topic I assume they feel I am out of my mind.

itk, i don't think you are out of your mind at all! It's just that Alix is doing such a good job replying to you. I don't like bugs in my house either! It's too bad the exterminators aren't being more understanding of your situation. I would proceed with the extermination plans, too.

Has your weather been unusually different this summer? Drier than normal? Wetter than normal? Maybe that has caused this bug problem. Just a thought.

Appreciation

Thanks callie for your understanding. Alix has truly helped through all of this as well as some others. If I wouldn't have them to comment I would be more paranoid than I already am. TBH said everyone has them in my area. Of all the experience I have had with the bugs in the past this is the first time so many unusual ones. Callie, as you said the weather here this summer has been unusually hot and dry. It seems as though we will not get to have a Fall this season. Normally, it gradually cools and then gets cold. I am here in Missouri and we do have the four seasons. Some places it is different. My neighbors are curious about what is going on, I just am reluctant to mention brown recluse. I was always worried bugs would come if the house was not kept free of crumbs on the floor.

Never know what day will bring. Thank heaven.

It has nothing to do with your housekeeping ITK. We all live with bugs to some degree or another. I think callie hit on it when she suggested your weather might be contributing to the problem. Here in Canada on the prairies, the last two years have been grasshopper heaven. I'd never seen them in urban areas before. One jumped right at my face a while ago. I screamed like the total girl I am!

Don't be afraid to mention the spiders to your neighbours. It says nothing about either YOUR housekeeping or theirs. Wouldn't you want them to tell you about something like that? At least they could be watchful. You might save them a nasty bite.

ITK, just checking in to see how you're holding up. Your recluses are tough guys to eliminate and it will be a long process. Glue boards are your best resort if you're on your own. They do eat insects, but can survive without food for long periods of time. My last office was infested with them and we've had friends who were infested. Also, if you try spray, remember they're not insects, so insect spray won't get them, but it may get some of their food.

I'll chime in with everyone else: there is nothing to be ashamed of - it's nothing you did or did not do.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom