"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #21
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
The exterminator came and sprayed. Hope he got them all. He didn't even know what they were. Now he told me he is sending out inspector to verify that if I have Carpenter Ants? It seems I am having my own personal war here.
Carpenter ants are bad little beasties. Fortunately though, they are easy to get rid of. You just put out their favorite treat and they take it back to their lair and they are toast.

Favorite treat is equal portions of icing sugar and boric acid (available at any pharmacy over the counter). Mix well and sprinkle whereever you have seen them. If you HAVEN'T seen them, sprinkle it near any sources of wood that might be rotting.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

wolf spiders

lindatoo, sorry your had to find out that way what they were. They are truly ugly. Someone said they have their babies on their back which makes them more horrible. I had to laugh about the toilet but I can relate to being in that position if I hadn't called exterminator. I didn't want them to get to acquainted. The fact that they jump at you only makes them more ugly. Not afraid of you. Hope they haven't bothered you in a personal place again. Did they exterminate or was he a loner? I never think someone is alone when you see them. They are just multilying someplace until the right time. Havent' seen any yet, now to battle these carpenter ants. No rest. What a story lindatoo you made me grateful I did call the exterminator. Thanks. Happy you have a pastor when you need them.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Brown Recluse

Today the inspector came for checking for carpenter ants at the suggestion of the exterminator. Not only did he find carpenter ants but brown recluse spiders. I have been hearing about them for so long and here they are in my own house. Now I have to have treatment for getting rid of both carpenter ants and brown recluse. Since I live here in Missouri they are quite common. The inspector told me since the dogs are older, blind and diabetic their immune system is not good and should be protected from the spider's bite. He is going to first do trial with glue boards of some kind and then in 30 days check to see how many are caught. This is so upsetting to me that I want to throw everything out. They do like to hide he said and I should be extremely careful when handling anything. Do you ever feel a prisoner in your own home? He said my neighbors aren't probably aware of them and only will realize when someone gets bit. Just thought I would keep you up to date on this bug problem that seems to be developing into a real nightmare. And I thought Stephen King wrote fiction. I feel like I am living one of his books. Not funny when you are in the middle of this.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #24
Cook

Wow, ITK. I am so sorry to hear that. Either of those are pretty horrific. At least you're getting aggressive on eliminating them - thank goodness the exterminator came out when he did!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #25
Everymom

ITK, do you have an attic? I understand the spiders will prefer that area to most others. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles continuing. That is just awful. Hang in there. The exterminator is going to get rid of all of them for you and it will be OK. They call them "recluse" spiders because they really would rather stay the heck away from all other big living things so they shouldn't bother you too much. Just be careful and know that we are all with you.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlueHeron
Wow, ITK. I am so sorry to hear that. Either of those are pretty horrific. At least you're getting aggressive on eliminating them - thank goodness the exterminator came out when he did!
Thanks TBH for your concern. I feel so alone when it happens to the place where you live. I know this is small in comparison to what is happening with Katrina but it seems very big to me. I just get so paranoid about bugs of any kind. I sure do appreciate your comments. I am reading all about the spiders on the Internet. That is where I learned about the wolf spiders.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #27
Executive Chef

attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
ITK, do you have an attic? I understand the spiders will prefer that area to most others. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles continuing. That is just awful. Hang in there. The exterminator is going to get rid of all of them for you and it will be OK. They call them "recluse" spiders because they really would rather stay the heck away from all other big living things so they shouldn't bother you too much. Just be careful and know that we are all with you.

Thanks again, Alix. I do have an attic. I have more actvitiy up there and I can't go up myself since there are no steps. Ladder has to be used and that is over the basement steps. You really hit a sore spot when you mentioned the attic. We probably have lot of dead corpse up there. That is what the recluse like is dead insects! Wonderful Good news to hear they want to stay away from me. I bet more people around here have them and don't know it. I just have ongoing bugs coming here. The exterminator said they like trees and the neighbor has more than 8 large mature trees on their property which isn't big lot. They are really growing into one another. So exterminator coming next week to put down some type of glue board and after 30 days he will check to see how many recluse he accumulates to see if I need recluse treatment which takes period of year. I actually have to leave the house with the dogs for 6-8 hour for the initial two treatments. They are hard to kill. More wonderful! Oh he is going to take care of the carpenter ants when he comes. Only requires one treatment so he says. I do appreciate your interest as discussing this with the family (men) don't relate to me being upset. I even have to put them in a bottle so they can take them and have it confirmed. I thought the durn thing moved. I tried to clean my closets and saw spiders in there! Do I sound paranoid? I am. Thanks again for your understanding. I just think men have to get bitten before they believe.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #28
Everymom

YIKES! Don't let them go that far! Those recluse spider bites are pretty nasty! I don't want to scare you further, I think you already have a healthy respect for those little monsters, but if your "boys" aren't paying you any mind you might want to do a little Googling for spider bite pix and show them what can happen. It is pretty darned gross.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Alix

Thanks for your attention and support. It really does help me cope with remaining calm. Maybe that is why I don't move around too much today. How can you be sure where they are? I can't hear them crawling. The guy said their belly doesn't touch the floor that is why they are hard to kill unless you can squash them. The other spiders (wolf) jumped on us. Like you said they are all having quiet place in the attic. No lights up there. I do appreciate any kind of support you have. It is like having good friend who knows! Thanks, friend.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #30
Everymom

From what I have read, brown recluse spiders stay far back in closets or attics. The further they can get from people or other animals the better they like it. I really don't think you need to curtail your usual activities much. Stomp loud and they will scurry away. I am going to see if I can find a link for you. I read about them somewhere...