"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #31
Everymom

Brown recluse spiders generally occupy dark, undisturbed sites, and they can occur indoors or outdoors. In favorable habitats, their populations are usually dense. They thrive in human-altered environments. Indoors, they may be found in attics, basements, crawl spaces, cellars, closets, and ductwork or registers. They may seek shelter in storage boxes, shoes, clothing, folded linens, and behind furniture. They also may be found in outbuildings such as barns, storage sheds, and garages. Outdoors, brown recluse spiders may be found underneath logs, loose stones in rock piles, and stacks of lumber.

The brown recluse spider is not aggressive, and it normally bites only when crushed, handled or disturbed. Some people have been bitten in bed after inadvertently rolling over onto the spider. Others have been bitten after accidentally touching the spider when cleaning storage areas. Some bites occur when people put on seldom used clothing or shoes inhabited by a brown recluse.

OK, here are the two links I found. One of them has a map of areas where it is commonly found. The second one has the pictures of the spider bite and the aftereffects. WARNING!! It is really really gross! It is also a worst case scenario, most people do not react like that to the bite. I only included it so you could show it to your doubting Thomas men. It might make them more sympathetic to your upset about them. ITK, I know you have a sensitive nature so please judge whether or not you want to look at those pictures. I don't want to further upset you. Again, they are a very extreme case.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html

http://home.texoma.net/~linesden/spider.htm

Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Thanks Alix

It got my attention but then you knew that. I did what the inspector told me to do to check a site for info regarding them that way it would make his job easier. He knew I was alarmed. He told me to live the way I have been because if I tried to change something it would affect his job on trying to see just exactly if we have anything to be worried about. You knew it they are up there. I live here in Missouri and they are included on their location. It has had an affect on me being normal. Knowing they fear me doesn't really help much. I just wouldn't want to scare them. They are doing good job bothering me. Probably really nothing to worry about as long as they don't bother my dogs.

Old 09-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Alix

Do you believe they think this is silly? They tell me they aren't worried. Also said I could do all this myself and save the money. Are you the only one who understands? The fact that the neighbors have wood laying around from year to year doesn't help with the situation. The inspector said you can't do anything about your neighbors. Don't you think they have the spiders too? I am not about to discuss this with them. They would feel same way as my family. The wood is not used during winter. If only I had way to resolve this problem.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #34
Everymom

I think they are being a bit silly and pigheaded. That spider is nothing to mess with. I think that bugs in your house are not to be tolerated. You have to expect a FEW bugs in a basement or attic or whatever, but the numbers you have described sound like exterminator time to me.

Maybe they are trying to downplay stuff so you won't be so worried. That sounds like a real "guy" way to handle things. Caring about you, just showing it in a bit of an offbeat way. Y'know what I mean? Hope you are doing OK and not worrying too badly. Like I said, I think you will be OK, just be careful.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #35
Cook

Alix, you're the voice of reason. Plus, it's not silly to be fearful of spiders, especially these guys. But I do know, from working closely with bug people over the years, that in recluse territory, just about every home has them to some degree - most of us never see them. You can put your own sticky traps out on the main floor, which may help. I agree that an extermination might put you more at ease, if you can get that going.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Tbh

TBH what were you doing to know so much about bugs? Did you see the brown recluse and wolf spiders? I don't understand after living here for many years that they appear just like overnight. Do you think, and I know I am pressing here, that when I did not eliminate the ladybugs as I was advised that they attracted the spiders? The local garden here said ladybugs were detrimental to the environment. Had them in attic for almost 3 years! Plus they were in my bedroom. I am really getting education here with bugs. Plus the dogs having fleas. TBH would you fumigate the house yourself if the sticky board prove to have more than average brown recluse? You really think everybody around here has them? How terrible! Alix I agree that they are being the macho thing here. They just think these things can be ignored. I really don't talk to about this to my friends. They wouldn't come in here. Would you? No one else comments about this topic I assume they feel I am out of my mind.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #37
Head Chef

itk, i don't think you are out of your mind at all! It's just that Alix is doing such a good job replying to you. I don't like bugs in my house either! It's too bad the exterminators aren't being more understanding of your situation. I would proceed with the extermination plans, too.

Has your weather been unusually different this summer? Drier than normal? Wetter than normal? Maybe that has caused this bug problem. Just a thought.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Appreciation

Thanks callie for your understanding. Alix has truly helped through all of this as well as some others. If I wouldn't have them to comment I would be more paranoid than I already am. TBH said everyone has them in my area. Of all the experience I have had with the bugs in the past this is the first time so many unusual ones. Callie, as you said the weather here this summer has been unusually hot and dry. It seems as though we will not get to have a Fall this season. Normally, it gradually cools and then gets cold. I am here in Missouri and we do have the four seasons. Some places it is different. My neighbors are curious about what is going on, I just am reluctant to mention brown recluse. I was always worried bugs would come if the house was not kept free of crumbs on the floor.

Never know what day will bring. Thank heaven.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #39
Everymom

It has nothing to do with your housekeeping ITK. We all live with bugs to some degree or another. I think callie hit on it when she suggested your weather might be contributing to the problem. Here in Canada on the prairies, the last two years have been grasshopper heaven. I'd never seen them in urban areas before. One jumped right at my face a while ago. I screamed like the total girl I am!

Don't be afraid to mention the spiders to your neighbours. It says nothing about either YOUR housekeeping or theirs. Wouldn't you want them to tell you about something like that? At least they could be watchful. You might save them a nasty bite.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #40
Cook

ITK, just checking in to see how you're holding up. Your recluses are tough guys to eliminate and it will be a long process. Glue boards are your best resort if you're on your own. They do eat insects, but can survive without food for long periods of time. My last office was infested with them and we've had friends who were infested. Also, if you try spray, remember they're not insects, so insect spray won't get them, but it may get some of their food.

I'll chime in with everyone else: there is nothing to be ashamed of - it's nothing you did or did not do.

Please let us know how you're doing.