"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Head Chef

Bugs coming in for the winter....

It's getting pretty cold here now, and some bugs are starting to come into my ewie apartment (thank god I'm moving in a few weeks to our NEW HOUSE!) This apartment for some reason always has a fly in it.. it's so disgusting, I hate flies (and spiders and bugs and and and... *sniff*). I can't bring myself to kill it, I'm so disgusted.... Are any of you having the same issue? How do you deal with it if you hate bugs as much as I do?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We have had a persistent fly the last few weeks. We have an electric fly swat and I finally caught it on that and that was the end.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
We get SWARMED with Asian Lady beetles... look like lady bugs but much MEANER!
They get in while its warm in the fall.... luckily (sorta) the bottom is going to fall out of the temp tonight and get cold, and they will stop trying to be my roomates. The ones that got in will die off soon and become one with my vacuum cleaner.
:)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I get what they call cluster flies. Every fall they want to move in. They come out three or four at a time every time I have a warm day until spring, when they will all move out.
Even though I spray for spiders every year, I need to call an exterminator for the flies every fall, right when the weather starts to change. He sprays the whole house, siding, windows, everything. It works to keep them at bay.
I wouldn't worry about it, Saphellae, since you're moving, but you might need to get the new place sprayed if you have the same problem next fall.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Head Chef

I don't think we'll have the same problem. It's just not a nice apartment, and it's surrounded by trees.... It's not a legal apartment. It's someones house, with an apartment above their garage.... it's pretty bad, carpet in the bathroom, some mouldy carpet in the corner in the living room.. sick. 3 more weeks! lol
Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
We get SWARMED with Asian Lady beetles... look like lady bugs but much MEANER! :)
Yup-finding those little buggers EVERYWHERE!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

Sounds gross.... lol

Asian Lady beetles..
Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We get a few flies in the fall I use one of those sticky fly strips they work good. Then we get the occasional spider that comes down at night to drink my blood They are usually easy to find and dispatch. Other then that some moths when it gets even colder we get a whole bunch of Woolly Bear Moths I like them they just look cool. We never need to spray the house as we just don't get many bugs I guess because of our elevation and dry climate.

http://www.pbase.com/lejun/image/28805923
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
My house is being taken over by ladybugs the last 2 weeks, like swarms! They gather in the corners of the rooms near the ceiling... it was cute at first, now I am ANNOYED!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
ugh I think that may be what I have they are not orange but a lighter shade, almost a dark yellow... someone called them elm bugs, but a few people have said they bite? They have been nice to me tho, I have let them live... so far. mwwuhahhaahhhahhaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
We get SWARMED with Asian Lady beetles... look like lady bugs but much MEANER!
They get in while its warm in the fall.... luckily (sorta) the bottom is going to fall out of the temp tonight and get cold, and they will stop trying to be my roomates. The ones that got in will die off soon and become one with my vacuum cleaner.
:)

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote