"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Master Chef

If you come across an old thread and you got some good info about it, I say post away! I agree with GB about the spammers and what not, but if you got good info, please share it!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

How about this idea; if there is a recipe that has been exceptionally received by the DC comunity, how about we have a thread that gives those recipes. Maybe we could all vote for our favorites and have a DC favorites cookbook that would be available to everyone.

It could consist of favorite topics as well, such as tehcniques for making gravies, or meatloaf, or pizza crust, whatever has been proven by community use. We set it up in topics, like the forums are, and then have a few recipes from each topic.

Just an idea. What do you think?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I like that idea Goodweed!

I wasn't really talking about recipes, it was more like GB mentioned. And more than anything I was truly curious what everyone thought about it! I've always wondered this being a member of several different type of forums, this does come up often.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I think we talked about a DC cookbook in the past - that would be one enormous cookbook. I've copied enough recipes on my own to create one, however, that is usually as far as I get. I do really need to organize them so I don't have to go back and find them here again. I think some save them to hard drive, but I don't know how to do that - or maybe a disk. I really should take lessons - but I don't have time.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Master Chef

To save something to yur hard-drive, simply highlight the info you want to save, press the right-click button on your mouse and select - copy. Then open your word-processor and select - paste. Then name and save the file in your word-processor.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I am pretty new to this website, and have never looked at the dates when i post something on them... I'm sorry. I have never been on a website like this before, I will be more careful from now on. I too have TONS of recipe's saved to my "favorites", from you all. I think a special recipe forum would be neat... but I also agree... very huge!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Often times people who are looking to advertise or spam will bump old threads as a way of getting their post count up to the point where they can post links.

GotGarlic, you are right that a lot of times it is new members who did not notice the date. I am sure I have been guilty of that on other forums in the past as well
oops I guess I am guilty of not noticing dates
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

It is an easy thing to miss, especially when you are new to a forum and are having fun reading all the threads. Don't sweat it LadyCook61. No harm done. We would much rather have someone like you who is excited to be here than someone who is here, but doesn't like it
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
Executive Chef

sometimes, I go old thread digging.
if I bump it up to answer a question that I'd missed when it was originally out there, I will bump.
so I say, bumpaway
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Sometimes the threads that would appear to be time sensitive should still be bumped cos the information in them has surpassed the original poster's question.

Take for example the Great Turkey Brining Debate of 2007 and the Great Salad Chucking Discussion of 2008. Very time sensitive questions originally but with so many pages and variations of topic that they will always find an audience. I would rather someone bump those threads to get an answer to another related question that start the entire discussions all over again!! LOL

Also if you do a search and you get into a thread that hits your criteria, the initial post may not be of relevance to your quest, and so you may not be cognisant of the thread's start date, only that there is a relevance to your search in a later post. That should still be bumped.

The fewer threads of a similar topic the better IMO. Makes searching less gruesome.