Bumping old threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Soooo...what is your opinion on bumping old threads on forums? What is proper thread bumping etiquette? Are some threads that are lets say... 2 years old.... too old to bump? :huh: Maybe a new thread should be started?

Some threads seem to carry really good information and maybe it's worth bumping them to bring them back.

What do ya'll think?? :)

Nothing wrong with it no matter how old. Just because it's been out of circulation awhile doesn't mean it can't be re-visited by a new group of members. There IS tons of good info on them. If one is done with a thread they can just unsubscribe.

I have no problem with it as long as it is relevant. The ones that should not be bumped are the ones where someone is responding to a three year old thread where the OP said they have something going on now and need an answer in the next few minutes (or something like that).

There are threads that work anytime and others that are time sensitive. A little bit of common sense needs to be used in deciding which should be bumped and which should be a new thread.

I have no problem with it as long as it is relevant. The ones that should not be bumped are the ones where someone is responding to a three year old thread where the OP said they have something going on now and need an answer in the next few minutes (or something like that).

There are threads that work anytime and others that are time sensitive. A little bit of common sense needs to be used in deciding which should be bumped and which should be a new thread.

I guess I assumed the common sense part. I shouldn't do that. :ermm:

I think a lot of that happens when new forum members are reading through forum messages and are inspired to respond to something - they don't necessarily check the date of the message they're responding to :) I know I did that a few times when I first joined.

Spot on! :cool:

Often times people who are looking to advertise or spam will bump old threads as a way of getting their post count up to the point where they can post links.

GotGarlic, you are right that a lot of times it is new members who did not notice the date. I am sure I have been guilty of that on other forums in the past as well :angel:

If you come across an old thread and you got some good info about it, I say post away! I agree with GB about the spammers and what not, but if you got good info, please share it!

How about this idea; if there is a recipe that has been exceptionally received by the DC comunity, how about we have a thread that gives those recipes. Maybe we could all vote for our favorites and have a DC favorites cookbook that would be available to everyone.

It could consist of favorite topics as well, such as tehcniques for making gravies, or meatloaf, or pizza crust, whatever has been proven by community use. We set it up in topics, like the forums are, and then have a few recipes from each topic.

Just an idea. What do you think?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like that idea Goodweed!

I wasn't really talking about recipes, it was more like GB mentioned. And more than anything I was truly curious what everyone thought about it! I've always wondered this being a member of several different type of forums, this does come up often.

I think we talked about a DC cookbook in the past - that would be one enormous cookbook. I've copied enough recipes on my own to create one, however, that is usually as far as I get. I do really need to organize them so I don't have to go back and find them here again. I think some save them to hard drive, but I don't know how to do that - or maybe a disk. I really should take lessons - but I don't have time.

To save something to yur hard-drive, simply highlight the info you want to save, press the right-click button on your mouse and select - copy. Then open your word-processor and select - paste. Then name and save the file in your word-processor.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:ermm:I am pretty new to this website, and have never looked at the dates when i post something on them... I'm sorry. I have never been on a website like this before, I will be more careful from now on. I too have TONS of recipe's saved to my "favorites", from you all. I think a special recipe forum would be neat... but I also agree... very huge!!:LOL:

Often times people who are looking to advertise or spam will bump old threads as a way of getting their post count up to the point where they can post links.

GotGarlic, you are right that a lot of times it is new members who did not notice the date. I am sure I have been guilty of that on other forums in the past as well :angel:

oops I guess I am guilty of not noticing dates:angel:

It is an easy thing to miss, especially when you are new to a forum and are having fun reading all the threads. Don't sweat it LadyCook61. No harm done. We would much rather have someone like you who is excited to be here than someone who is here, but doesn't like it :)

Sometimes the threads that would appear to be time sensitive should still be bumped cos the information in them has surpassed the original poster's question.

Take for example the Great Turkey Brining Debate of 2007 and the Great Salad Chucking Discussion of 2008. Very time sensitive questions originally but with so many pages and variations of topic that they will always find an audience. I would rather someone bump those threads to get an answer to another related question that start the entire discussions all over again!! LOL

Also if you do a search and you get into a thread that hits your criteria, the initial post may not be of relevance to your quest, and so you may not be cognisant of the thread's start date, only that there is a relevance to your search in a later post. That should still be bumped.

The fewer threads of a similar topic the better IMO. Makes searching less gruesome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom