Busy few months.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Glenn and I have had our hands full the last few (perhaps 6) months. His mother decided she really, really had to live on her own again. So, we moved her from assisted living to her own apartment...against our better judgment.

We knew in our hearts and minds that this would not be a good move. She went from being cared for completely, which included all laundry services, full dining room, housekeeping, socialization and group activities, along with medical alert care.

Once she moved to her apartment, within 3 weeks she ended up in the hospital and things went downhill from there. Multiple hospital stays, sometimes with only a week or few days between, a brief nursing home stay and, finally, hospice at her apartment.

She died this last Thursday about 8 p.m. The hospice nurses had just administered her medication and, a few minutes later, she slipped away in her sleep.

We buried her yesterday afternoon. It was a bright, sunny day and made the ceremony less mournful.

A friend of Glenn's daughter hosted a large dinner after where everyone talked, laughed and shared stories of "Grandma," as she was usually called.

There were boxes and albums of photos that made us all laugh with surprise or see how the grandchildren resembled their predecessors.

All in all, it was a day of celebration and all of us know she's without discomfort and in a better place.

Katie, So sorry for your an Glenn's loss.

Thank you, Andy.

We usually don't get alarmed when the phone rings at night. Just late at night. However, the last two weeks or so, every time it rang (night or day) we felt it might be "the call."

Fortunately, she had prepaid and done all the funeral selections in 1998, which made that part less problematic. All that remains is to take care of her furnishings and belongings. Not much of those because when she made her last move she disposed of nearly everything except essentials.

She was the last one of her whole family of 8 siblings and Glenn is an only child, so we're it. End of the line. My family's been gone for over 40 years. Now it's just us chickens.

Katie, So sorry for your an Glenn's loss.

+1...

I'm at the age where I figure, unless something catastrophic happens, I'm the next to go in my part of our family.. I have only a, much younger, sister left..

A small part of why I wanted to move close to my only surviving child..

I don't look at my passing as a sad event.. I prefer to look at my life as a long happy adventure..

Ross

I'm sorry about your and Glenn's loss, Katie. She sounds like she was quite a woman. May your memories bring you happiness and comfort.

...unless something catastrophic happens, I'm the next to go in my part of our family.. I have only a, much younger, sister left..

A small part of why I wanted to move close to my only surviving child...
As an only, I'm the last in my generation besides cousins (who don't count - don't ask...:-p ). Nice as it is for Himself to be living close to his only sibling, I want us to be living back near our kids. When we start falling apart, they're in better shape to take care of us! :LOL:

So sorry for your loss, Katie and Glenn. I'm glad that you and and the family had a fun celebration of Grandma.

Glenn and Katie, my heartfelt condolences. It's hard to watch our loved ones go home where we know they will fail, but they do have that right to try.

Back
Top Bottom