Butcher block countertops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Gotta say, I love mine. Mine are custom-made ash, sealed with food-grade mineral oil. I juiced wild grapes tonight. The spilled juice (yes, I spilled the bowl collecting the juice below the bag--about 2 T). It beaded right up on the countertop, no stain. All I had to do was wipe it with a damp dish cloth. I do reapply mineral oil about 2x/week, depending on how much I've been cooking. I also wipe them down with a weak bleach solution every day at least once (depends on how much I've been cooking). But, I've spilled beet juice, grape juice, curry on these countertops and nothing has stained them or penetrated the oil. Love my butcher block countertops and would go down that road again. Once sealed, these have been the easiest countertops to care for that I've ever had. You can have your granite, soapstone, marble, quartz, I'll take butcher block any day. And, they look soooo nice.

Is this in response to something, or is it Butcher Block Appreciation Day? ;) Having to re-apply oil twice a week seems like a pain to me. My granite counters don't require that much maintenance.

Is this in response to something, or is it Butcher Block Appreciation Day? ;) Having to re-apply oil twice a week seems like a pain to me. My granite counters don't require that much maintenance.

Same here for my quartz countertops. Clean with Windex, sanitize with a bleach solution. Stainproof, heatproof, waterproof.

Butcher block counter tops are beautiful, but should be used in conjunction with a liquid proof cutting board.
The purple colored juices may have beaded up this time and might for some time. But once this counter gets some use, you are going to wish you used another product.
I have seen several removed over the years in my contracting business for this very reason.
Staining and wear. Wood counter tops wear. I would not let a knife touch your counter top!

I disagree. I've had mine since 2010. I do a lot of processing (beets, tomatoes, curries, grapes, etc.). It takes about 30 seconds to apply the mineral oil after I spray them down with a weak bleach solution and wipe with a paper towel, drizzle mineral oil on, and bam, I'm done. Whatever oil doesn't soak in overnight, I wipe with a paper towel. Takes all of 10 seconds. If something were to stain, all I'd have to do is rub the spot with 400 grit sandpaper and saturate with oil. And, should the finish get stained, etc., I can sand them down and reseal them, just like hardwood floors. A friend has soapstone. He spends more time over the course of a month caring for his countertops than I do over the course of six months. I don't cut on mine. I don't collect dirty dishes on mine. I only have my knife blocks and the rack holding my cutting boards on mine. Otherwise, everything has a place (and every thing gets put in it's place). No coffee maker, no blender, no FP, no toaster. I hate clutter--especially in the kitchen. My mom's granite countertops got stains on them when we did wild grapes, chokecherries, or high bush cranberries. If cared for properly, they are by far the easiest countertops I've ever had--the only thing easier were the stainless ones we had in the first house we rented. (PS--I'm probably exaggerating how long it takes to apply the mineral oil 1/2 times/week). Takes longer to dry my cast-iron pans and give them a light coat of oil.

Last edited:
Well, since I don't have to do that at all, it seems easier to me. You know, of course, that no one else on this site does the extreme cooking you do. Glad you're having so much fun maintaining your butcher block counters ;)

Last edited:
CWS, Are they end grain tops?
Just curious because many side grain tops are called butcher block.

This discussion shows that nothing is maintenance free. If you want to keep it up you've gotta work on it. ;)

I'm looking at redoing my main top. I redid a small one with granite pulled off a job but for the big one I'm thinking about wood. Got lots of scrap hardwoods that need a home. :LOL:

End grain is better for penetration of the finish but it's much more work to put together.

Have you tried using beeswax dissolved in your mineral oil? It might help to firm up your finish so you don't need to apply it as often.

RB. is correct that a cutting board should be used. Just as they should be on any counter top. (Your knifes really don't like stone unless it's to sharpen them)

But my kitchen counter is a work space and my kitchen sure as shootin' isn't a show kitchen. Any scars or stains are an indication of life to me. And with wood if they get dinged I figure that's why God made sandpaper. I'm a wood butcher so I'm better able to clean up wood then I am to polish stone.

CWS, This discussion shows that nothing is maintenance free. If you want to keep it up you've gotta work on it. ;)

The new countertops I have are maintenance free and NSF certified. The NSF certification was my first priority in choosing a countertop. And it is made from 75% recycled products.

Here is a link to the product if you are interested.

Eco countertops the product for the new Eco era

CWS, Are they end grain tops?
Just curious because many side grain tops are called butcher block.

This discussion shows that nothing is maintenance free. If you want to keep it up you've gotta work on it. ;)

I'm looking at redoing my main top. I redid a small one with granite pulled off a job but for the big one I'm thinking about wood. Got lots of scrap hardwoods that need a home. :LOL:

End grain is better for penetration of the finish but it's much more work to put together.

Have you tried using beeswax dissolved in your mineral oil? It might help to firm up your finish so you don't need to apply it as often.

RB. is correct that a cutting board should be used. Just as they should be on any counter top. (Your knifes really don't like stone unless it's to sharpen them)

But my kitchen counter is a work space and my kitchen sure as shootin' isn't a show kitchen. Any scars or stains are an indication of life to me. And with wood if they get dinged I figure that's why God made sandpaper. I'm a wood butcher so I'm better able to clean up wood then I am to polish stone.
I used a commercial product that contained beeswax and mineral oil initially. Now I just use the mineral oil. They are a breeze to take care of. The wood...I had my choice of ash, cherry, or what was the third option...I can't remember. Anyway, ash was the hardest of the three available. I'll have to ask the fabricator if they were end cuts (a/k/a the DH). It took about three weeks to glue all the 1" wide pieces together. And, I have a cutting board that fits over the sinks (the cutout). He took a lot of pics during the process. The wood was from ash trees harvested at the farm and bought at a log auction, so first the logs had to be cut into boards...you get the picture. The project actually started in the fall of 2008. :LOL: When wood is involved, it takes a long time because first we have to fell the tree...drag it to the sawmill shed, ...

I'm glad you are happy with your butcher block counters, but they wouldn't be my choice.
When we replaced our ceramic tile counters with granite I was so appreciative of the ease of care I was nearly giddy. There is nothing worse than ceramic tile with all the nasty grout.
Like many have said, I use Windex, and they always look like new.

I like my Corian countertop. Easy cleanup, and nothing stains it. Tile with grout would drive me crazy.

I'm glad you are happy with your butcher block counters, but they wouldn't be my choice.
When we replaced our ceramic tile counters with granite I was so appreciative of the ease of care I was nearly giddy. There is nothing worse than ceramic tile with all the nasty grout.
Be careful using Windex on granite. The ammonia can break down the sealant, meaning they'll have to be resealed.

Here's a picture the day they were installed a couple of years ago....I love them even more now.
BEFORE>>
img_1390729_0_dd01167a776b9c79b03a63769eddf386.jpg
img_1390729_1_9ce5c7e5a93a4d7df2295d1f12336d9e.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes, I had tiles on my kitchen counter tops. Never again! Apart from being thoroughly unhygienic and difficult to clean, any ceramic that got dropped or knocked over on it cracked, chipped or smashed.

I used a commercial product that contained beeswax and mineral oil initially. Now I just use the mineral oil. They are a breeze to take care of. The wood...I had my choice of ash, cherry, or what was the third option...I can't remember. Anyway, ash was the hardest of the three available. I'll have to ask the fabricator if they were end cuts (a/k/a the DH). It took about three weeks to glue all the 1" wide pieces together. And, I have a cutting board that fits over the sinks (the cutout). He took a lot of pics during the process. The wood was from ash trees harvested at the farm and bought at a log auction, so first the logs had to be cut into boards...you get the picture. The project actually started in the fall of 2008. :LOL: When wood is involved, it takes a long time because first we have to fell the tree...drag it to the sawmill shed, ...

Thanks, Sounds like edge grain to me but I'll wait for the definitive answer. ;)
Was the third choice Maple? It's what a purest would call a true butcher block using end grain. For a bit of trivia that's how a block plane got it's name. :)

I can understand about nasty grout. :(
That's what I've got now and it really needs to be gone. I'm tired of it.
But hey, I used what I had at the time and it's served me well over the years.

Wow, Kayelle. That really made a difference.

Thanks Andy. We live a very frugal life when were are home (that way we can travel) and frankly, anything a step up from the grout with tile would have made me happy. Steve insisted on this granite and it's made a wonderful difference in our little "two butt" kitchen.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sounds like edge grain to me but I'll wait for the definitive answer. ;)
Was the third choice Maple? It's what a purest would call a true butcher block using end grain. For a bit of trivia that's how a block plane got it's name. :)

I can understand about nasty grout. :(
That's what I've got now and it really needs to be gone. I'm tired of it.
But hey, I used what I had at the time and it's served me well over the years.
Might have been (maple) but since we used that on the floor in my office, I'm thinking we didn't have enough of that...I think it "might" have been black walnut or hickory. I don't like the "ribbons" of blonde in black cherry (remember, this is not wood you'd go to Home Depot/Lowe's or another Big Box store and buy--this is what it looks like when you build your own sawmill and harvest your own wood. I just don't care for black cherry. I like black walnut for accents, but didn't want it for the entire countertop). The walnut/black walnut--too dark. The cherry--too squirrely.

Nice looking kitchen, K. The granite countertop you chose really does make a difference! I love your cabinets, too.

From one fellow 'two butt kitchen' owner to another. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom