"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Butcher block countertops

I like my Corian countertop. Easy cleanup, and nothing stains it. Tile with grout would drive me crazy.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your butcher block counters, but they wouldn't be my choice.
When we replaced our ceramic tile counters with granite I was so appreciative of the ease of care I was nearly giddy. There is nothing worse than ceramic tile with all the nasty grout.
Like many have said, I use Windex, and they always look like new.
Be careful using Windex on granite. The ammonia can break down the sealant, meaning they'll have to be resealed.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Be careful using Windex on granite. The ammonia can break down the sealant, meaning they'll have to be resealed.
Thanks, but my new bottle of Windex clearly says on the front of the label.."Ammonia Free".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Here's a picture the day they were installed a couple of years ago....I love them even more now.
BEFORE>>

Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Wow, Kayelle. That really made a difference.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm glad you are happy with your butcher block counters, but they wouldn't be my choice.
When we replaced our ceramic tile counters with granite I was so appreciative of the ease of care I was nearly giddy. There is nothing worse than ceramic tile with all the nasty grout.
Like many have said, I use Windex, and they always look like new.
Oh yes, I had tiles on my kitchen counter tops. Never again! Apart from being thoroughly unhygienic and difficult to clean, any ceramic that got dropped or knocked over on it cracked, chipped or smashed.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I used a commercial product that contained beeswax and mineral oil initially. Now I just use the mineral oil. They are a breeze to take care of. The wood...I had my choice of ash, cherry, or what was the third option...I can't remember. Anyway, ash was the hardest of the three available. I'll have to ask the fabricator if they were end cuts (a/k/a the DH). It took about three weeks to glue all the 1" wide pieces together. And, I have a cutting board that fits over the sinks (the cutout). He took a lot of pics during the process. The wood was from ash trees harvested at the farm and bought at a log auction, so first the logs had to be cut into boards...you get the picture. The project actually started in the fall of 2008. When wood is involved, it takes a long time because first we have to fell the tree...drag it to the sawmill shed, ...

Thanks, Sounds like edge grain to me but I'll wait for the definitive answer.
Was the third choice Maple? It's what a purest would call a true butcher block using end grain. For a bit of trivia that's how a block plane got it's name.

I can understand about nasty grout.
That's what I've got now and it really needs to be gone. I'm tired of it.
But hey, I used what I had at the time and it's served me well over the years.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wow, Kayelle. That really made a difference.
Thanks Andy. We live a very frugal life when were are home (that way we can travel) and frankly, anything a step up from the grout with tile would have made me happy. Steve insisted on this granite and it's made a wonderful difference in our little "two butt" kitchen.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Thanks, Sounds like edge grain to me but I'll wait for the definitive answer.
Was the third choice Maple? It's what a purest would call a true butcher block using end grain. For a bit of trivia that's how a block plane got it's name.

I can understand about nasty grout.
That's what I've got now and it really needs to be gone. I'm tired of it.
But hey, I used what I had at the time and it's served me well over the years.
Might have been (maple) but since we used that on the floor in my office, I'm thinking we didn't have enough of that...I think it "might" have been black walnut or hickory. I don't like the "ribbons" of blonde in black cherry (remember, this is not wood you'd go to Home Depot/Lowe's or another Big Box store and buy--this is what it looks like when you build your own sawmill and harvest your own wood. I just don't care for black cherry. I like black walnut for accents, but didn't want it for the entire countertop). The walnut/black walnut--too dark. The cherry--too squirrely.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
Master Chef

Nice looking kitchen, K. The granite countertop you chose really does make a difference! I love your cabinets, too.

From one fellow 'two butt kitchen' owner to another.