Buying a House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooh. A not so popular thing to really really think about.
Since you two aren't married yet, you might want to put something in writing about what happens if you don't stay together.

Yeah, yeah.... BUT... it might avoid monstrous headaches should
the unthinkable become thunk.:(

We have thought about that too Grilling, no worries there :)

Also, everything will be paid for jointly and will be in both of our names. Nick is also paying the down payment, so he will be assured the money he puts into the equity if something does happen.

poor saph......you're getting broadsided by lots of experienced pros.......please listen...........they are giving you lots of words of wisdom...............it may be too much to take in now..........but do listen..........by you avatar not only are you pretty but you look smart, too.......

The vast amount of mortgage companies that the public deals with never hold the mortgage, but are sales companies. ABC mortgage company will contract with a wholesaler prior to the closing, and will never hold the paper. This goes on up the chain in various forms. FNMA and FNMC sells packages of loans on the market, and, if you have the bucks, you can be a participant in a pool of loans. HUD, for the most part, is an insurer. When a borrower is informed that they will pay the payment to a new lender, a lot of the time it is the servicing that is sold. The whole industry is multi-tiered and is difficult to understand. Most of the above statements are not always correct, and there are hundreds of variations. All you really need to know as a borrower is that if you understand what you agreed to, and you do your part, no one will take your home, raise your rates, or otherwise change the terms.

LOTS of advice here, probably too much but most of it good. I've bought three homes, and I do differentiate there. Lots of my freinds buy houses with the thought in mind of what they might be able to sell it for. I've owned a townhouse in Hawaii, a large (to me) home in Florida with lots of space for relatives, a pool, hot tub, etc, and now an 1855 row house in an even older town. As different as they were, all three have been my loves of my life. With the exception of this one, I really thought I'd live in each one for the rest of my life. Here I know better; way too many stairs and steps for us after another decade. But I still love it, and if we don't make a dime from it, and only pour money into it (a real possibility with an oldie), I still love it. My husband fell in love with the dining room (where people really like to congregate), me with the old kitchen (old, not old fashioned) and we both like knowing the history of the place (we've met almost everyone living who owned it, and by proxy the couple who owned it at the turn of the century). But I honestly loved the two other homes I've owned (and several that I rented as well). I think that I weigh in with those who mentioned trying to find out what the monthly payments will be. Easier said than done. But if you're constantly worrying about the mortgage, it is hard to enjoy the home.

All you really need to know as a borrower is that if you understand what you agreed to, and you do your part, no one will take your home, raise your rates, or otherwise change the terms.

Yes. Make sure you read and understand the documentation of what you are getting into.

And understand that the terms of your agreement very well may change, depending on several different factors. If this is the case, it will be set out in the mortgage documents.

You should be using a lawyer to help you.

I didn't realize this couple wasn't married. Here's one last piece of advice: YOU COULD BE HEADING FOR SOME REAL TROUBLE. GET YOURSELF A LAWYER BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WILL TRANSPIRE BETWEEN YOU TWO IN THE FUTURE AND THIS COULD AFFECT YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION AND OWNERSHIP OF THIS HOUSE. If Suzy Orman knew you were doing this she'd pass out cold. :LOL:

Ouch, ouch ouch! Not married - no commitment - and an important long term debt? Ouch. Can you by yourself easily make the loan pyment + taxes, insurance, condo fees, maintenance you are responsible for, etc. What is your legal status where you are - is common law marriage legal there and if so after how long living together. Ouch, given what just happened to the home mortgage market this just might blow it - is your purchase contingent on obtaining suitable financing so you are off the hook if you can't? You said something about waving financing or something like that. You might be owing someone money if you can't finance. I hope this goes well.

Dont listen to them! Good luck with your purchase and I wish you the best of luck!!

A little too forceful there Drama.. I can read just fine without you 'yelling'.

We have a lawyer. We are also considered common law now, which means we have been living together for a certain amount of time. It is the same rights as marriage without the certificate.

I also kinda wish people would read at least my responses to people.. before yelling at me some piece of information someone has already kindly pointed out.

A little too forceful there Drama.. I can read just fine without you 'yelling'.

We have a lawyer. We are also considered common law now, which means we have been living together for a certain amount of time. It is the same rights as marriage without the certificate.

I also kinda wish people would read at least my responses to people.. before yelling at me some piece of information someone has already kindly pointed out.

Saph,, sorry about the "yelling." I wasn't yelling at you I was trying to drive a point home. Didn't know you would see it as yelling. Please Please, see a lawyer before you do this. I have very good reason for being so strong about this. If you do contact one and tell him what you are planning on doing you 'll see why I said what I did. Again, sorry, didn't mean to come on so strong, but this is a very serious situation you are getting yourself into. You have the choice so whatever you decide is your own business I guess. Anyway, I do wish you the best on this purchase. Your laws may be different in Canada and I hadn't thought of that. In the USA this could be trouble-big time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom