C.S.R. Amazing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
For whatever reason, tonight I felt like listening to YouTube videos. Somehow I zeroed in on Crosby, Stills, & Nash, without Young. I listened to a concert, to Suite Judy Blue eyes (which literally put a lump in my throat, and almost tears it was so good live), and Wooden Ships. In the first concert I listened to, they played Guinevere, one of my favorites, and many other great songs.

I don't do this thing very often, as once I start, I can't seem to stop for hours. I am passionate about music, be it Deep Purple, Creedence Clear Water Revival, S.S.& N., or Bach. It doesn't matter. I've spent hours listening to nothing by exceptional drummers, like Carl Palmer, or Neil Pert, or Ian Pace, or whoever. I've spent hours cueing in on exceptional guitarists, or phenominal keyboar players, in all kinds of music. Yes, Prog Rock is still my favorite. But there are so may incredible artists out there that I have to sample everything from delta blues, to funk, to classical, to jazz, to rock, and everything in between, including the Morman Tabernacle Choir. I love a big pipe organ, or harpsichord. I love horns of all kinds, and percusion, and strings. I can even listen to incredible sax, or banjo, or whatever. I just love good music, no matter what for it comes in. Tonight I was moved by one of the greats, Crosby, Stills, & Nash. It was a good night for my soul.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love music of all kinds. I was raised on Beatles and Stones and am primarily a rocker, but I also love Waylon and Willy and other country, along with anything from any musical. I can sing all the songs. Hallaluja brings me to tears, love gospel, hymns, along with blues, Elvis, you name it. I can handle hiphop too, along with didgereedoo and bagpipes. It's all good!

I love music of all kinds. I was raised on Beatles and Stones and am primarily a rocker, but I also love Waylon and Willy and other country, along with anything from any musical. I can sing all the songs. Hallaluja brings me to tears, love gospel, hymns, along with blues, Elvis, you name it. I can handle hiphop too, along with didgereedoo and bagpipes. It's all good!

I've been known to tear up to Roundabout, by Yes, when driving down the long road by myself. Pain hasn't brought to my eye since I burned my leg, and I've literally felt blinding pain so that it made everything go black of a second or so. Family reconciliation, the intense love of family members, helping others, watching amazing joy of children, and music, that's what tickles my emotions. By the way, don't have a clue what didgereedoo is. Love bagpipes, limited hip hop, not so fond of Pop, unless it's the Boston Pops;) You can keep all of the Pop radio stations.

As good as they are, pancakes have never brought a tear to my eye. I've made some hot sauces, pots of chili, and salsas that have though.:ohmy::LOL:

Oh, and the natural world can seriously affect my emotions as well.

Heh. I played bassoon, and a didgereedo is sort of like that, but it's a big pipe usually played by Australians, mostly Aborigines. They blow on the top. Usually just one note, but it sounds really cool.

Last edited:
I put one of my favorite discs into the computer and listen to it while I am sitting here wasting time. The TV is almost on mute. Classical music were my lullaby's. So I listen to Mozart and a few other composers. Then I get tired of it and switch to music of the 40's. Then I might switch to one of my favorite opera's.

One day I had an opera on and my youngest was about 13 y.o. His friend asked how could he stand that kind of music. "I grew up with it." Today, he has his own collection of favorite classical music and often puts it on when he is reading required reading for his profession. Sometimes you will find him listening to Gregorian Chant.

Yeah, we are a strange family when it comes to the music we choose to listen to. :angel:

I also loved many tracks by C.S.R too....particularly Guinnevere. Hazy and beautiful harmonies. Teach Your Children Well is an all time fav of mine. I recall listening to a Graham Nash album that also had good tracks on it. I liked The Byrds too e.g. for their harmonies and covering some Dylan tracks better than himself (although that would not be hard). Henrix's rendition of All Along The Watchtower showed just how superb a cover could be.

The 1970s seemed particularly ripe for singer/songwriters. I was one of them (but not in a professional capacity - used to do the contemporary folk circuit).

Last edited:
I love CSN&Y too, I've got a bunch of their songs on Pandora. :) The 70's was a great decade for music, one of my favorites. I LOVE music - lots of different kinds.

Chief, if you get the AXS channel on satellite or cable, they often have concerts playing. I DVR'ed a Fleetwood Mac concert that's coming up next week, and just watched The Beach Boys a couple of nights ago.

I get stuck on youtube sometimes too, just looking around - it's easy to lose track of time there. :LOL:

A year or two ago I stumbled upon this shy young sister and brother duo, singing and playing their music at the family kitchen table. Those kids blew me away! :ohmy: I've been kinda following their progress since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjHA3cLKn0

The 70’s music was a decade that could never be replicated, IMHO. Late 60's were good too, as were 50's. And 40's.

I think 70's were probably my fave.

Last edited:
The 70’s music was a decade that could never be replicated, IMHO. Late 60's were good too, as were 50's. And 40's.

I think 70's were probably my fave.

It seems that the 70's were a lot of music fan's favorite decade, and that includes kids who grew up in the 80's, 90's and millennials. There was just so much creativity, though I have to admit that a few bands from the 90's grunge era were great too, like Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, any band with Chris Cornell in it, Candlebox, and Queensryche. I didn't discover that I loved a couple of songs by Molly Hatchet until about 2013. And the Allman Brothers, in MHO, the best country rock band ever, even though I like Molly Hatchet's cover of "Dreams I'll Never See, written by the Allman Brothers.

Ok, bed time. Talk to all of you tomorrow.

Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, April Wine, Deep Purple. Jimi, Janis, Jim. Too many good ones to remember. And I agree with your selections as well, Chief.

Many good times were had at the Winnipeg Folk Festival too. Taj Mahal, Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird, so many others. Oh, the memories!

Last edited:
Ah, those are good old days music. Not some garbage we have today.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, April Wine, Deep Purple. Jimi, Janis, Jim. Too many good ones to remember. And I agree with your selections as well, Chief.

Many good times were had at the Winnipeg Folk Festival too. Taj Mahal, Ian and Sylvia and the Great Speckled Bird, so many others. Oh, the memories!

Let's not forget some of the seminal bands that paved the way for the metal bands, such as Uriah Heep, Blood Rock, and others. Who can leave jethro Tull out of this mix, not me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When my daughter took me to see "In The Mood last week, I was quietly singing very softly all the words to all the songs that had words. And I would tell my daughter what band made the recording and who the singer(s) were. She was absolutely surprised that I knew so much about the Big Band era. :angel:

When my daughter took me to see "In The Mood last week, I was quietly singing very softly all the words to all the songs that had words. And I would tell my daughter what band made the recording and who the singer(s) were. She was absolutely surprised that I knew so much about the Big Band era. :angel:

I enjoy Benny Goodman, and had a grandfather, who was full blooded Doiche who played clarinet in a Big Band, though I don't know which one it was. It was a wlll known band in its day though. I don know that. I also like Deano, and Gene Kelley, and In my mind, the greatest crooner of them all, Bing Crosby. Didn't much care for Frank Sinatra though. He was too arrogant.

My mom, who grew up with Sinatra, hated his music. She was a huge Elvis fan though. She also loved all the Gilbert and Sullivan music.

My mom, who grew up with Sinatra, hated his music. She was a huge Elvis fan though. She also loved all the Gilbert and Sullivan music.

Gilbert and Sullivan works were always a favorite of mine. When I was in the ninth grade, I played the part of Rafe. The one who knew about the switching of the babies. I memorized the whole musical. And in the fourth grade I was Gretel in Humperdink's Hansel and Gretel. I memorized that whole play also. There was a part when Gretel was off stage. I had the dubious job of prompting. Then back on stage. :angel:

Addie, what is the name of the G&S productions? They aren't called musicals, they're called something else, and the name escapes me.

Today's kids are always surprised that our generation had music in our lives also. And we can recite who sang what and when it was popular. We know where we were the first time we heard the song.

Hey kids, guess what. We no longer have to use our drums for just sending messages. We were able to figure out how to take a hollow piece of wood and make music to go with the drums. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom