California Fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Currently, there are at least 4 major fires burning in California. Many homes and lives are threatened. Two strike teams of engines have been sent to southern California from northern California. A strike team consists of 5 engines and 1 strike team leader. I hope that all our DC members in southern California are doing OK. In northern California we have one major fire burning in an area that is not threatening homes.

For more information on the fires here is a couple of websites.

http://www.fs.fed.us/news/fire/mreport.shtml Scroll down for fire information. This website also has hurricane information.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/fire/index.php The fires are listed to the right of the webpage.

We should be very proud of all the state and federal personnel supporting the wildfires and hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

There's been a fire watch on tv. I think Malibu residents were affected & evacuations may have been mandatory. I'll check again on the 11:00 PM news (if I can stay awake). I really feel for the firefighters, as the temp is very high (& dry) here today & think they mentoned wind. Seems we go through this every year. I had to cancel an appointment yesterday & heard my ride couldn't make it because of fire engines on the freeway (traffic?). Hoping it will be contained/over soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/29/california.wildfire/index.html

Last edited:
Mish, I hope that it is over soon. I just hope that you and the other DC members down there are safe. Don't worry about the firefighters. They are well cared for: plenty of water and gatorade. About the only thing they wish for is a nice soft bed. But when you are exhausted any piece of ground will do. Mish, stay safe.

SC :)

I watched the news. It's very unsettling. Think they mentioned calling in firefaighters from No. California. There are about 3,000 now. I'm not very close to the county line, so think everything is safe here. It's at the LA County/Ventura County line, Topanga Cyn, etc., but there are a few others. Looks like it's quited down for the night - winds have died down. One of the hotels have put up some evacuees & firefighters?). It's difficult to watch one disaster after another.

I just jumped in my jeans & ran up to the sundeck, but don't see anything. Let's hope for the best tomorrow AM.

Last edited:
How are things going, mish? We have sent more firefighters from N. CA your way. I just hope that we don't have any fires start up here with most of our force down there. I will keep my fingers crossed that you stay safe. :)

It seems firefighters are hoping there is a 35% containment by the end of today. The heat is still pretty bad, too. We're quite far from the fires, the closest being a smaller fire in Burbank. This morning I heard that the water-dropping planes had been brought in from as far as Canada. Wow! I also heard that many residents were being allowed back to their homes, in some parts and were feeling like the firefighters were doing an amazing job.

I live north of the fires. Most we have had to worry about was air quality due to ash and soot falling out of the atmosphere.

We do have a US Forest Service Air Station locally and they haven't started running planes out of it yet. I am probably 60 miles northeast of the fire in Chatworth/Topanga Canyon region. This makes it weird that they are pulling planes in from Canada when planes sit on the tarmac ready to go. Los Angeles County Fire Department has mobilized the emergency response team locally and sent a dozen or so trucks to the blazes. Our urban search and rescue team is in Louisianna though and another dozen trucks are there for rescue as well. Leaves the Antelope Valley pretty unprotected if we get a fire in the desert here. Last big fire we had here burnt 12,000 acres in an hour since the fuel burns faster than trees in the forest.

I hope those in the fire zones keep safe but the state really needs better plans for these things in the long run.

There could be many reasons to not use the FS aircraft: terrain, wind, other aircraft on the fire that are more effective (helicopters), etc. Without actually being there it is hard to say why they are not using the airtankters. Here is the current up date of the status of those fires.

HARVARD, Burbank Fire Department.. This fire is located in Burbank, CA in brush and grass. Voluntary evacuations are in progress. Electrical transmission lines, communication facilities and a historical building are threatened. High temperatures, low humidity and steep terrain are hampering containment efforts. 917 acres, 15 % containment, 115 personnel, 8 crews, 70 engines, 3 helicopters

THURMAN, San Bernardino National Forest. A Unified Command has been established betweena Type 2 Incident Management Team (Kerr), and San Bernadino County agencies. A Type 1 Incident Management Team has been ordered. This fire is five miles northeast of Redlands, CA in chaparral. Mandatory evacuations are in place for surrounding communities. Cultural archeological sites are threatened. Steep terrain, high temperatures, low humidity and heavy fuels are contributing to plume dominated fire conditions. 1,000 acres, 5% containment. 650 personnel, 13 crews, 31 engines, 4 helicopters

TOPANGA, Los Angeles County Fire Department. A Unified Command has been established between a California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF) Type 1 Incident Command Team (Heil) and other agencies. This fire is located in Chatsworth, CA in chaparral. Residences, watershed, electrical transmission lines, communication equipment and wildlife habitats continue to be threatened. Road closures and evacuations remain in place. Containment efforts continue to be hindered by steep, inaccessible terrain, high winds, low humidity and unstable fire behavior. 23,970 acres, 40% containment, 2,170 personnel, 84 crews, 341 engines, 11 helicopters

I will Pray for California and for the FIRES to go out, And Think Cool :cool: Thoughts, I Hope things go well ! Also the Ash And Smoke are not too bad :( ! Take Care James

Wayne Luke said:
but the state really needs better plans for these things in the long run.

Welcome to DC, Wayne. Hope you are safe where you are.

As our Governor mentioned, kudos to the firefighters, the action/response taken here & the properties etc. that have been saved and out of harms way. The short run is what is most important now - putting the fire out. From wherever help was brought in, the "plan" is an excellent one. The news also mentioned this could have burned from the Valley to the Ocean. Depending on a few factors, we're hoping it won't jump the 101. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Ash and smoke is hazardous. If you can, try to close your windows & don't go outside unless it's necessary. Take care of your pets.

Just a side note - in all the years I've lived here and all the fires that occur here, this one concerns me for a few reasons -- it's very close to residential areas & widespread. Almost from day one ?, you can see the smoke on a satellite view. By Monday, I think/hope it will be contained and close to an end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom