"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Call centers may make fast food faster

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/11/tech...alds/index.htm

I do not know how this is ever ever ever ever going to work????

Old 04-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

..."The centers not only allow fast-food chains to cut labor costs, but to focus more on customer service by creating specially trained centralized staffs to take drive-through orders, the newspaper said."

For heaven's sake! All they need is a human who can actually speak well, push buttons on their register, and make change properly and there's no need for this!

Old 04-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

How much of a labor cost can you have at one single McDonalds????

You still have to have someone give change to the customer.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Pretty soon, we'll no doubt have a do-it-yourself Mickey-D's.

Let's see...you go online, place your order, making sure you designate your estimated time of arrival. Then, you use your cell phone to confirm your order, making sure to press the # sign after each command. And, of course, making sure you enter your confirmation number.
Then, upon arrival to the McD's, you'll first go to the drive-up automated station, where you'll input your confirmation number, your pin number, followed by the # sign. You'll press "1" if it is correct, "2" if it is not. If it is "2", you'll need to go home and try again.
If it is indeed "1", a printed receipt will be available. You then can then pull up to the second automated window, where you will self-scan your UPC code on your receipt. You will be asked to swipe your ATM card, along with your ATM's pin number for payment. There will be a $2 processing fee, as the automated window is not in service with your regular bank. The order will then be transferred to a small screen, where the 5 employees who are working can read your order and process it to their liking.
You will go home, wishing you were back in the "old times".
Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks for the directions JKath, but I am so confused.

Don't have an ATM card.

Or I suppose we do, I think a credit card has one, but have no idea what the PIN is.

Anyway, ya mean I gotta do all that to get a stinking Big Mac?

But then again, calm down Auntdot, you never eat one of those.

Do make a run for the border every year or so, and buy about $40 worth of burritos and whatever else sounds good.

But that is our fast food experience anymore. And the stuff lasts for a couple of weeks and sates us until the next year.

But we just always walk in to order because we never know what they have from year to year.

Usually cook at home, or eat in sit down places, and we don't need a PIN number there.

Yet.

Thank goodness.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

You would still have to wait in line, that takes longer than actually getting your food. And cutting labor costs? It's all about profit.
I hate talking to computers! Who else does?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Salary reduction from $7.50 an hour to $4.00 is huge. Multiply that by 20000 locations! Thats a savings of $70,000 an hour!!! Yup. its going to happen folks. Im just guessing that it will cost $4/hr for folks in India to perform the same job.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
If I have to go through all of that hassle for a hashbrown then they BETTER get my order right the first time everytime.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

This is a very complex way to buy a burger. I guess I'd be out of luck of there's a computer breakdown in the middle of an order.

...and paying cash would be out of the question????
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Salary reduction from $7.50 an hour to $4.00 is huge. Multiply that by 20000 locations! Thats a savings of $70,000 an hour!!! Yup. its going to happen folks. Im just guessing that it will cost $4/hr for folks in India to perform the same job.
This is harsh, and likely politically incorrect, but since when have I been PC?

This is great, soon we'll be having Apu retiring from the Qwik E Mart and taking our orders for Mac and Dons.

"Tank you and please come again!"

That is a huge pet peeve of mine, not being able to understand the person on the other end of the line. Doesn't matter what type of business. I'd better stop there before I go ranting.

One thing that cracks me up though is when the line is answered by someone obviously not of American decent and is quite likely in a foreign country (usually India or something like that) and they say their name is Pete, or Joe, or Paul, or something like that. I just laugh and think "yeah, and I'm jolly old Saint Nicholas!"