Calling All Caterers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

her_name_is_ed

Assistant Cook
I am in need of some advertising advice from seasoned Caterers. I recently started my own small event catering company.

As of now it consists of myself and my husband some other friends and family that will be hired through a legitimate staffing agency for insurance and liability reasons. I am focusing on local small events, 50-150 people tops.

My problem is that I am running low on ideas for low cost advertising. I have picked up a few jobs (two weddings and three fundraisers) through word of mouth but those are several months and even a year away. How can I get my name out there faster with minimal costs?

Are there any criagslist type of sites that I could use? I've already posted on CL but no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Online may not be the best bet for a local business. If you aren't aware of sites to post on, your potential customers probably don't know to look there for vendors.

A lot of communities have free "newspapers" that are full of ads from local businesses.

Also look into those ValuPak envelopes full of coupons and ads.

Buy an ad in the local high schools graduation programs. If you have a community playhouse, they sell ad space in their playbills.

Talk to local storefront businesses about putting up a small ad board in their stores.

Many supermarkets have a bulletin board where you can post an ad.

Put out fliers at local churches, community colleges, and grocery stores. Any place that offers a free community bulletin board is a good asset too. Community colleges=gatherings, graduations, etc etc etc. . .Churches=Weddings, social gatherings, Red Hat Lady luncheons, all sorts of potential clients.

Your best advertisement, will be word of mouth. unless you have the overhead to get heavy into advertising, you may have to wait to build your reputation.

Hell, go to one of the fast sign type places and get a giant magnet thingy made, I see them all over D.C., keep it on your vehicles all the time.

Online may not be the best bet for a local business. If you aren't aware of sites to post on, your potential customers probably don't know to look there for vendors.

this is a very good point. I will be taking this into serious consideration.

UPDATE: I just recieved my official business licence and I am over the moon. For now I will be doing more of a cook for hire type of work till I can find a commercial kitchen, which is proving a lot harder than I had anticipated.

UPDATE: I just recieved my official business licence and I am over the moon. For now I will be doing more of a cook for hire type of work till I can find a commercial kitchen, which is proving a lot harder than I had anticipated.

Many churches have a commercial kitchen. They are sometimes willing to rent it out for catering.

Update:

Just dropped off my fictious business name statement and hired someone to put a website together for me. I am very hopeful that things will go well. I have been approached a few more times but no serious bites just yet. Cross your fingers for me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom