"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Calling all Computer experts

I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy and run windows 98, as you may know Windows no longer supports this system and Nine MSN along with Yahoo 7 now require Multi media 11 to run their movie links but Windows 98 is not compatible to installing it. I'm also now unable to open some links mailed to my hotmail account and I'm assuming it's because of my 98 system.
I have been thinking about [a] Buying a new PC or [b] Or upgrading my system which is what I would prefer to do.
If I buy a new PC I'm up for about $1000 and then start again. Although my PC is old it is the top of the range, however, someone has told me that it could be to slow to run any new system but I tend to disagree, and this is one reason for this post.
In my search for a solution I have come across the site below which offers upgrades at very cheap rates, maybe to cheap ???????
If I was to download an upgrade would I loose all my work or would it just take over the day to day running of my PC, and do you think it would be safe to do so.
Many thanks
Wayne
http://www.live-ware.net/index.php?t...OVMTC=standard

Old 11-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Head Chef

What is your current system? (i.e. processor, memory, hard drive, etc.)

Old 11-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm not familiar with the website. I'd want to have some assurance that they are legit before I download and install anything.

Also, check the system requirements for any upgrades you buy before doing so. If you have an older system, it may not be able to handle the new software.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
What is your current system? (i.e. processor, memory, hard drive, etc.)
Uh oh! Now that's a hard question for me. Just looking at the machine - It says - Diamond data 36X - Intel inside Pentium 11 - OCT
I know that it has a huge memory bank, does 40GB sound right. I have been unable to use more than 25% with all the work I have stored on it.
Does any of that make sense?

I've just had a browse through the site, Pentium seems Ok but I found this :- "
Technical Support Information: Since this is an OEM operating system it does not come with any free technical support. Telephone technical support is available through a paid service via a toll-free number and a charge per call. The phone number is included on your packing slip when you order." mmmmmmmmmmm?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Head Chef

Some. The 40 Gb is the hard drive size. Try right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and choosing "properties." What does it say below where it tells you the version of Windows? That should tell you the processor speed and the amount of RAM.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye
Some. The 40 Gb is the hard drive size. Try right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and choosing "properties." What does it say below where it tells you the version of Windows? That should tell you the processor speed and the amount of RAM.
I've found :-
128 OMB RAM
System resources 67% free
File system 32 BIT
Virtual memory 32 BIT

Good wife thinks 80GB hard drive Bullseye
Old 11-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

Well, Attie, your system (though I still don't know about the processor) should support Windows 2000, and be better with a minor RAM upgrade--just a snap in module. Most things that are compatible with Windows XP will work fine on Windows 2000, which has less "overhead," that is, it requires less in system resources. 80 Gb hard drive is enough for most people, myself included. As you start to install the Win2k upgrade, it will tell you what on your system is incompatible, and you can then find out if there is an upgrade that is if the incompatibility is with something you care about. I would strongly recommend that you do the upgrade/install from a CD so that you have the disk in case of future problems. And, backup, backup, backup, first!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks for your help Bullseye, I won't download from that site, to dangerous I think. I might go check out a new machine, Santa might buy me one for xmas with a bit of luck.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I showed what you have to Cris, who is an IT expert. His opinion is "just get a whole new thing". Upgrade won't be worth it with your computer. (it is Pentium II, not 11 btw) These days you will get quite decent whole package, with much more power/capacity at much less than $1000, and with the brand new Windows system (Windows Vista) is about to premiere, I would say install this one.

Do a little more in depth research, if you don't go for all the fringe luxuries, getting an entire new set of computer may not cost as much as you think.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I showed what you have to Cris, who is an IT expert. His opinion is "just get a whole new thing". Upgrade won't be worth it with your computer. (it is Pentium II, not 11 btw) These days you will get quite decent whole package, with much more power/capacity at much less than $1000, and with the brand new Windows system (Windows Vista) is about to premiere, I would say install this one.

Do a little more in depth research, if you don't go for all the fringe luxuries, getting an entire new set of computer may not cost as much as you think.
Didn't tumble to the Pentium 11 = Pentium II! Urmaniac is right; if you can afford the new system, do it. If not, and the PII is at the upper range of the scale, you can still do the upgrade I described. Bear in mind that, if the new system comes with WinXP Home, you cannot restore from a Win98 backup. With WinXP Pro, no problem.