Calling on all the techies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to know. I'll be buying some bigger drives for my server in the next year or so, so it looks like WD and Hitachi will be at the top of my list.

From my personal experience my Seagate drives have done well but they are a few years old so they may have been better models at the time.

From my personal experience my Seagate drives have done well but they are a few years old so they may have been better models at the time.

I think you may be right. I have a Seagate drive in my server and desktop. The one in the server is now going on 5 years without a problem. The one in my desktop is a couple of years old, but I had to run CHKDSK with the repair parameter back in March, so I'm on borrowed time until I get a replacement.

I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience, Western Digital does make the more reliable drives - or at least in the last couple of years. I work in IT for a company that purchases hundreds of drives, both internal and external, and WD is their "go to" brand. After having quite a large number (7% total) of Seagate Barracuda drives fail within a 2 year period, they switched over.

And there is also this study, showing reliability rates of three manufacturers. Again, Seagate comes out at the bottom by a long shot:

Sorry, but the numbers don't lie. I wish it weren't the case, because I used to really like Seagate drives, and still have a couple of them in use at home.

As with anything else, though, your mileage may vary.

hard-drive-annual-failure-rate-hitachi-seagate-wd.jpg

I had only experience to use for my comment regarding WD.
I have been through two WD ext hard drives in 4 years.
My neighbor has had the same Seagate for as long with zero issues. I got him the Seagate and loaded the music for him and presented it to him.
It was his drive that bailed me out on the last WD failure.

So two(2) WD failures to zero(0) Seagate failures. I think I will stick with Seagate from now on.

Back
Top Bottom