Calling on all the techies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I need to buy a portable charger for cell phone. How do I know what to get. I mostly need for traveling when I am not in a car or not in hotel most of the day? Please help. There are so many of them on the market. I'd prefer to use Amazon to buy one. Thank you in advance.

This is the one my DD and I have. Works great and holds it charge for along time (months) between uses. When we got them they were $50.00 AND NO COUPONS!

Powerocks Rose Stone 6000mAh Universal Extended Battery - Blue
by Powerocks

List Price:$69.99Price:$36.49 & FREE Shipping. Details You Save:$33.50 (48%)Coupon:Save $5.00 more
Clip Coupon Details

Saving $5.00 more
Your coupon will be applied at checkout. Details
Sorry. You are not eligible for this coupon.

Only 6 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it Tuesday, June 17? Order within 23 hrs 30 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Color: Blue
  • 31jJtcj6CmL._SS36_.jpg
  • 31KdxOFAlvL._SS36_.jpg
  • 31XmwfYYs7L._SS36_.jpg
  • 31KlaitAygL._SS36_.jpg
  • This is a rechargeable universal 6000mAh lithium ion extended battery
  • Dual USB output allows for charging two devices at the same time
  • This battery is portable and lightweight
  • Will charge a standard smartphone 3-4 times and it will also charge other digital devices such as Bluetooth headsets, cameras, GPS devices,tablets, and more depending on device charge requirements.
  • Battery status is indicated by the LED lights on the end of the Rose Stone. 4 lights = 100% full, 3 lights = 75% full, 2 lights = 50% full, 1 light = 25%
Amazon link > http://www.amazon.com/Powerocks-Uni...&sr=8-2&keywords=power+rocks+portable+charger

Last edited:
I really like Anker products, and I like this one because it has the cable built in and tucks away in itself. This size in particular should charge an average cell phone almost 3 times. You can also plug another cord in it and charge 2 things at once. The built in cord should charge any modern smartphone except for the iPhone, you'd have to use your iPhone's cord plugged into the second port.

Amazon.com: Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh Ultra-Slim Built-In-Cable Dual-Port Portable External Battery Backup Charger Power Bank for iPhone 5, 5S, 5C (Apple adapters not included) 4S 4 3GS, iPod, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galexy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, Gal

71YCoY1D9xL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Motorola P- 793 I got from Amazon. They've really come down in price since I first got it. It worked really well when I had my Blackberry, haven't used it with iPhone yet. Tiny little thing.

Last edited:
What type of cable end is on your phone?
You have to make sure what you buy matches the phones jack.
USB is so far from being "universal" its silly. One end is always universal, but the phone end is not.

I have at least 15 cables for charging in my desk drawer. The reason I have this many is they do not fit any phone or device except the one that came with the device or phone.
Buy the cable for your phone is what I am saying.

What type of cable end is on your phone?
You have to make sure what you buy matches the phones jack.
USB is so far from being "universal" its silly. One end is always universal, but the phone end is not.

I have at least 15 cables for charging in my desk drawer. The reason I have this many is they do not fit any phone or device except the one that came with the device or phone.
Buy the cable for your phone is what I am saying.

Right now there is Micro USB and whatever two that iphone uses. What other standards are there?

My last 6 phones including 2 that were not smartphones all used micro USB, 3 were Motorola, one HTC, one LG and one Samsung. Pretty much anyone I know has the same charging port on their phone unless it is an iPhone.

My first 3 phones all had proprietary charging ports but that was over 10 years ago.

Right now there is Micro USB and whatever two that iphone uses. What other standards are there?

My last 6 phones including 2 that were not smartphones all used micro USB, 3 were Motorola, one HTC, one LG and one Samsung. Pretty much anyone I know has the same charging port on their phone unless it is an iPhone.

My first 3 phones all had proprietary charging ports but that was over 10 years ago.

My old phones and chargers must just be that. Old.
Not one cord fits any other phone, but the one that came with it.

I have the IPhone now and its proprietary for sure. Nothing but Apple.

My point I guess was the USB cable is not always universal.
For example. My camera. Its a micro USB, but does not fit any other jack on any other device I own.
Am I missing something as far a compatibility goes? I am asking.

The one I posted has USB ports. You plug YOUR phone cord into your phone, the USB end plugs into the charger. ONLY VERY old phones DON'T have a USB end to plug into a PC, car charger or a wall plug. It doesn't matter what the end that plugs into your phone looks like ONLY the other end that plugs into the charger should be USB capable.

BTW my Nokia and Motorola phones used the same type charger cords.

Last edited:
My old phones and chargers must just be that. Old.
Not one cord fits any other phone, but the one that came with it.

I have the IPhone now and its proprietary for sure. Nothing but Apple.

My point I guess was the USB cable is not always universal.
For example. My camera. Its a micro USB, but does not fit any other jack on any other device I own.
Am I missing something as far a compatibility goes? I am asking.

Maybe your camera is mini usb? That was used in a few things but was much less common, micro usb kinda took over, I believe that mini usb was most common in cameras. My Logitech remote control has a mini usb plug (used to plug in to computer to program it) as does an old bluetooth headset that I have, everything else is micro usb. I'd be surprised to see mini usb used in anything released in the last 5-7 years.

Here are the two side by side. Micro usb is thinner.
img_1369499_0_c3987197d6abf3c6f7c40a1194c18c66.gif

The one I posted has USB ports. You plug YOUR phone cord into your phone, the USB end plugs into the charger. ONLY VERY old phones DON'T have a USB end to plug into a PC, car charger or a wall plug. It doesn't matter what the end that plugs into your phone looks like ONLY the other end that plugs into the charger should be USB capable.
BTW my Nokia and Motorola phones used the same type charger cords.

Point missed. Yes standard USB on one end. Non -standard connector on the other has always been my issue.

Maybe your camera is mini usb? That was used in a few things but was much less common, micro usb kinda took over, I believe that mini usb was most common in cameras. My Logitech remote control has a mini usb plug (used to plug in to computer to program it) as does an old bluetooth headset that I have, everything else is micro usb. I'd be surprised to see mini usb used in anything released in the last 5-7 years.

Here are the two side by side. Micro usb is thinner.
img_1370055_0_c3987197d6abf3c6f7c40a1194c18c66.gif

See the one on the left. There are at least 3 differing types of just that end. There are more sizes of the one on the right also.

I understand a USB is a USB. But the opposite end on most everything i have or have had never matched other devices.
It was as if they wanted you to buy a new cable each time you bought a device?
I assumed this was the case?

Point missed. Yes standard USB on one end. Non -standard connector on the other has always been my issue.

See the one on the left. There are at least 3 differing types of just that end. There are more sizes of the one on the right also.

I understand a USB is a USB. But the opposite end on most everything i have or have had never matched other devices.
It was as if they wanted you to buy a new cable each time you bought a device?
I assumed this was the case?

Micro USB is just the one on the right, only one version that I know of. The downstairs charger is a micro USB Blackberry charger, upstairs Samsung micro usb, and HTC micro usb, they all fit every phone that we've had across multiple brands for years now. Pretty much anyone who comes to visit can plug their phones in for a quick charge.

Gone are the days of every phone having a different plug, heck even one brand would have multiple charging ports, it was ridiculous. If you went into a cell phone store with a micro usb charger, it would plug into any phone there with the exception of an iPhone. Even my tablet takes the same charger. My last two phones were used and came without a charger, I just used the ones that I already had regardless of the brand.

Yes, cell phone companies and stores LOVED to charge you $30 for a new car charger or spare every time you bought a phone. One thing that you have to look out for, is if your phone is in a case, some of the micro usb with larger plastic heads can have trouble, even though the plug itself would work.

Micro USB is just the one on the right, only one version that I know of. The downstairs charger is a micro USB Blackberry charger, upstairs Samsung micro usb, and HTC micro usb, they all fit every phone that we've had across multiple brands for years now. Pretty much anyone who comes to visit can plug their phones in for a quick charge.

Gone are the days of every phone having a different plug, heck even one brand would have multiple charging ports, it was ridiculous. If you went into a cell phone store with a micro usb charger, it would plug into any phone there with the exception of an iPhone. Even my tablet takes the same charger. My last two phones were used and came without a charger, I just used the ones that I already had regardless of the brand.

Yes, cell phone companies and stores LOVED to charge you $30 for a new car charger or spare every time you bought a phone. One thing that you have to look out for, is if your phone is in a case, some of the micro usb with larger plastic heads can have trouble, even though the plug itself would work.

I just checked for my own sanity the charger cable for my camera, and my wifes camera cable. Neither fits the other.
Both cameras are relatively new.

I am glad to hear they are actually making both ends universal now. But it seems I have several devices that require their own special cord.
I have one each WD and Seagate ext hard drives and both have differing cable ends with the standard USB on the other end.

I have a box full of cables that do not fit anything I have. All USB type cables. Stuff that i accumulated over the years.

I just checked for my own sanity the charger cable for my camera, and my wifes camera cable. Neither fits the other.
Both cameras are relatively new.

I am glad to hear they are actually making both ends universal now. But it seems I have several devices that require their own special cord.
I have one each WD and Seagate ext hard drives and both have differing cable ends with the standard USB on the other end.

I have a box full of cables that do not fit anything I have. All USB type cables. Stuff that i accumulated over the years.

Yeah, I'm not sure if cameras are standardized yet, but thankfully most phones now are.

I have two external hard drives and one has some funky proprietary plug on one end (seagate) and regular usb on the other. The other drive (Fantom) has the same end that most printers do, and regular usb on the other end. I'm hoping that I don't ever have to replace the Seagate one, that would be a pain.

I too have a box of cables, I never throw one away, because when I do, I'll end up needing it for something!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure if cameras are standardized yet, but thankfully most phones now are.

I have two external hard drives and one has some funky proprietary plug on one end (seagate) and regular usb on the other. The other drive (Fantom) has the same end that most printers do, and regular usb on the other end. I'm hoping that I don't ever have to replace the Seagate one, that would be a pain.

I too have a box of cables, I never throw one away, because when I do, I'll end up needing it for something!

I have had very good luck with Seagate. (fingers and toes crossed and wood has been knocked on))
I have had very bad luck with WD.
So hopefully you have the same good luck as me.
I lost all my music files once on a WD ext hard drive. Lucky for me, I had made a copy for my neighbor so I was able to get it all back.
This has happened twice with WD.
The copy I gave my neighbor was on a Seagate drive and hes had it for close to 6-7 years with no issue at all. I now keep a loaded spare on my bookshelf just in case.

I too have seen every printer that has come into this house (usually quite often as printers are less expensive than buying ink for them) has the same end. All of them have the same end.
It has always been phones that have been the issue for me.
When I ordered a phone not long ago, I asked if the phone had a standard USB port. They assured me it did. When it arrived, my cable nor any cable I had would work with it. So I sent the phone back to them.

Last edited:
I have had very good luck with Seagate. (fingers and toes crossed and wood has been knocked on))
I have had very bad luck with WD.
So hopefully you have the same good luck as me.
I lost all my music files once on a WD ext hard drive. Lucky for me, I had made a copy for my neighbor so I was able to get it all back.
This has happened twice with WD.
The copy I gave my neighbor was on a Seagate drive and hes had it for close to 6-7 years with no issue at all. I now keep a loaded spare on my bookshelf just in case.

I too have seen every printer that has come into this house (usually quite often as printers are less expensive than buying ink for them) has the same end. All of them have the same end.
It has always been phones that have been the issue for me.
When I ordered a phone not long ago, I asked if the phone had a standard USB port. They assured me it did. When it arrived, my cable nor any cable I had would work with it. So I sent the phone back to them.

I have 2 seagate drives in my home theater PC that are chugging right along and the external hooked to my server PC all doing well. I had a WD drive go bad on me in my laptop shortly after replacing it, the one in there now seems OK.

I have 2 seagate drives in my home theater PC that are chugging right along and the external hooked to my server PC all doing well. I had a WD drive go bad on me in my laptop shortly after replacing it, the one in there now seems OK.

I always assumed WD was the better choice. I was wrong! :LOL:

If you buy an external hard drive from a company that doesn't manufacture hard drives, you can get just about anything in there. I'm pretty sure that my Fantom has a seagate inside too.

WD does make some good products, but have had their share of duds lately.

I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience, Western Digital does make the more reliable drives - or at least in the last couple of years. I work in IT for a company that purchases hundreds of drives, both internal and external, and WD is their "go to" brand. After having quite a large number (7% total) of Seagate Barracuda drives fail within a 2 year period, they switched over.

And there is also this study, showing reliability rates of three manufacturers. Again, Seagate comes out at the bottom by a long shot:
Who makes the most reliable hard drives? | ExtremeTech

Sorry, but the numbers don't lie. I wish it weren't the case, because I used to really like Seagate drives, and still have a couple of them in use at home.

As with anything else, though, your mileage may vary.

hard-drive-annual-failure-rate-hitachi-seagate-wd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom