Calling PPO! Photo setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a strip steak in the fridge for dinner but lunch was pan seared salmon.

Pan Seared Salmon by powerplantop, on Flickr

Hey, PPO! You always post beautiful food pr0n ;) I was wondering what your photo setup is like. Do you have a micro-studio or do you use a countertop? Or something else? Do you have special lighting equipment? Would love some tips :) Thanks.

Thanks Bakechef. I hope they leave the vids up, but I've added one to my favorites if they don't.
Man... I snap a few pics with my point-and-shoot before I chow down. No wonder his pics are so crisp. I don't break out the tripod unless my chronograph is screwed on top of it, lol.

More times than not, a 18-55 kit lens and a flash are all ya need. A 50mm prime and off camera flash = even better If you can really bounce the light it helps even more. In the sample pic, it looks like nice natural lighting. Hardest part is really avoiding a lot of shadows.

Hey, PPO! You always post beautiful food pr0n ;) I was wondering what your photo setup is like. Do you have a micro-studio or do you use a countertop? Or something else? Do you have special lighting equipment? Would love some tips :) Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to respond but some how I missed this post.

This is the studio that I used (light was way better yesterday):
It is a hotel room and I pulled the night stand over by the window.

Mobile Studio by powerplantop, on Flickr

I shot it from the same direction basically looking into the light. Latter when I shot the steak the light was getting low so I shot with the light behind me.

TTATTRAT nailed the lighting, all natural light. I used a 50mm lens. Most of my food shots are shot with that lens. I do want to get something that I can get closer with. For food shots I always use aperture priority mode.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. Here's my setup. I have a box on top of a file cabinet with the sides cut out and a piece of plastic attached to one side, to diffuse the light from the light :ermm: I used to have the file cabinet on another wall where the window was on the side, but now I have a bookshelf there. I always use the automatic macro setting. Too lazy to change the settings ;) I'll have to try that.

Attachments

• macro studio setup.jpg
    macro studio setup.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom