"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Head Chef

I would take my laptop and camera when shopping for an SD card. Not all cameras and laptops will take the same format, and the cards look the same. Both need to be able to read the card.

Phone cameras have gotten quite good recently. If you are looking for an excuse for the latest and greatest phone, this might be a way to go.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I would take my laptop and camera when shopping for an SD card. Not all cameras and laptops will take the same format, and the cards look the same. Both need to be able to read the card.

Phone cameras have gotten quite good recently. If you are looking for an excuse for the latest and greatest phone, this might be a way to go.
I don't have a camera. That is what I'm looking for. I have no intention of carrying my laptop into Walmart. We have a van that takes up to 7 of us to shop there weekly for 2 hours. I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to watch my cart that closely for that long!

Besides the fact that this IS low income housing, and I just don't want everyone knowing I have a computer at all.

I have a Safelink free cell phone, so I'm not going to buy a phone just for the camera.

I hope this clarifies things. I will have a discussion about this with a rep at the electronics counter and will also check to make sure the 1" port is actually for a digital card and what kind of card.

I'd like my DC to be reusable so that I don't have to keep buying them. Once I've uploaded my pictures, I can erase the card to use for more images. I can save (backup) my uploaded pix to a CD.

I'd really rather that I be able to plug the camera directly into the computer and not have to deal with memory cards at all. Is that possible?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Yes that is possible, and there is no need to bring your laptop to the store. These things are pretty standard now and your laptop is recent enough. Just let the clerk at the store know you want to be able to plug the camera directly into the computer and not have to take the memory card out of the camera and he/she will lead you in the right direction.

The other option is to get an Eye-Fi memory card. You do not have to plug anything in that way at all. The Eye-Fi card transfers photos from your camera to the computer wirelessly.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Oh the other thing I wanted to mention is that you might want to reconsider storing photos on CD as backup. CD's are a horrible way to archive things as they degrade in a very short amount of time (think 5 years or so). Online storage is a great way to go or get a backup hard drive and go that route.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Yes, it does pop out. It is exactly 1" wide is that right?
Sounds like it, but I would not let that limit me to which camera to get. That just lets you know that if your camera comes with an SD memory card, your computer can read it. It will open like another drive.
I haven't boughten a camera in a couple years, but they all used to come with a USB cable, so no need to use the card reader anyway. I've got an older Sony and a semi-old Canon and the Canon is very intuitive to use. And comes with great editing software (Zoom EX). They are both considered point and shoot.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Pacanis and GB. This is just the kinds of information I'm looking for. I'll start a page of notes so I'll know what to ask the electronics rep.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For online storage, couldn't I copy my "My Pictures" folder and email it to myself?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Well that depends on what you use for email. If you use something like gmail then yes you could do that. Depending on how many pictures you are trying to backup that could be very cumbersome and time consuming though. If it is just a few here and there then that would work, but if it is 20 or 30 or more at a time then you would quickly get tired of doing it that way.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Online storage means your data/pics will be saved elsewhere, not on your computer.
Check out "thumb drives" while you're there. It's a simple device that plugs into your USB port and that you can save anything to.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Online storage means your data/pics will be saved elsewhere, not on your computer.
Check out "thumb drives" while you're there. It's a simple device that plugs into your USB port and that you can save anything to.
Thanks, pacanis. A thumb drive sounds perfect. I don't like the idea of online storage.

Tags
food