Cameras used for Photos Posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
Would anyone care to share what brand of camera that they are using for the photos posted on here? Some of them are out of this world, crisp and clear, etc.

I am using an old point-and-shoot :LOL: Olympus Stylus 300 (3 megapixels) :LOL:, but I would dearly love to have a new camera, one with some manual settings.

I have two Fuji cameras that I love. It's all a matter of personal preference. There's a big thread about digital cameras from a couple of months ago. I'm sure one of those far more familiar with the search engine on this site could link it.

I am currently using a Nikon D80 and it's been a great camera.
The only way I would part with it is to up grade to more
professional grade Nikon.
I currently use mine to shoot weddings once or twice a month.
Here's a few samples.
img_811829_0_f4a9a005e5658bd8ffa88ed2fb8250a3.jpg

img_811829_1_aca5aabae34917bba282c6d5f3e3a47d.jpg

I have a Sony that I've had for 6-7 years. It works great and takes excellent pictures. I purchased a newer model for my daughter last year and she's very happy with hers as well. Hers is the DSC W150.

light, aperture, shutter speed (I think! I've never had a camera with those capabilities, so I am still learning.)

Most all advanced point and shoot cameras have those capabilities. But if you also want full control of focusing like the traditional film reflex cameras you need to look into DSLR's.

Most of mine have been taken with Canon PowerShot Pro 1, which is about 5 years old (now discontinued). I've posted some samples below.

This is an 8-megapixel camera, and if you click on any of these photos you'll see exactly what that means, size-wise. The newer 12- and 15-megapixel cameras would produce even larger photos.

The advantage to having a lot of megapixels (think of it as similar to RAM in your computer) is the ability to crop the photos and still have good resolution, sufficient for an 8 X 10 blowup, for example.

However, the number of megapixels is secondary (although I wouldn't buy anything with less than 6 megapixels, even in a pocket point-and-shoot camera). The most important consideration is the lens, and because of that I favor Canon and Nikon, although there are other good choices. I'm thinking of supplementing my current camera with a Canon EOS 500D (Rebel T1i DSLR).

For my money, the best source of information on cameras with solid user reviews is Digital Photography Review.

268614319_tmYsC-O.jpg

505441593_GmQQN-O.jpg

5893064_J7Wbw-O.jpg

189056828_nZKCa-O.jpg

I think your first decisions are; 'how much you want to spend' and 'how big or how small of a camera do you want'?

I think your first decisions are; 'how much you want to spend' and 'how big or how small of a camera do you want'?
Absolutely! I wouldn't recommend buying a DSLR if you just want to take a few snapshots of the kids or if you want something that is easy to stick in your pocket or purse. But don't buy just by price -- check the reviews on the site I recommended, on Amazon, Consumer Reports, Popular Photography, CNET, etc.

That said, my daughter was very dissatisfied with the quality of the photos of her kids she was getting from her older point-and-shoot digital camera. The shutter lag (the delay between the time you press the button and the time the camera actually takes the photo) was a huge problem when trying to capture squirming 3- and 5-year-olds, and the auto focus and exposure were less than ideal. She's been much happier on all counts with her photos since she got a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSI. But that's about $700 and it's quite large, as big as a 35mm film SLR.

my kodak easyshare is not working properly!! i can take pix, still, thoggh. i've plenty of pics from school to post of food we cooked!!!!!
we're sending it to kodak.

Great photos, VB. I'm really impressed with what that little (relatively inexpensive) camera can produce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom