"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #31
Master Chef

The best time to stock up on Kingsford charcoal are during the major spring and summer holidays. They're usually close to half off on sale at most big box stores.
I think I still have about 80 lbs worth left in the garage from last summer's sale from Home Depot.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Sadly, I have not had occasion to use much charcoal in Months, and would love the opportunity.
It was close to 15 bucks for an 18 lb bag.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The best time to stock up on Kingsford charcoal are during the major spring and summer holidays. They're usually close to half off on sale at most big box stores.
I think I still have about 80 lbs worth left in the garage from last summer's sale from Home Depot.
I wouldn't mind a heads up on that again.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I believe the golf story. Farmers work when the sun is out not when the clock tells them it's time to work. However grape farmers sometimes work during the night.... Sulfuring, machine picking and irrigation are night time jobs.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Fool me once. Almost. The little girls came around all yowly and lovey early mid afternoon like clock work. Feed me, I'm s t a r v i n g. I looke at the clock. it said 430. I said you're late today, even by their regular standards which can begin around noon and anytime thereafter. I thought they forgot, until I realized that just yesterday that would have been 330. Not that they need food by any clock. It's just if I feed them early, they will be back much sooner for more. .

It's funny. If I go away for a weekend and portion out dry food / day with an extra scoop for whatever, they only eat their daily amount. Yet they somehow think they can finagle an extra serving from dad anytime they feel like it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
One of the top lobbyists for DLST full time is Kingsford Charcoal. I was at a presentation they made on this awhile back and it was impressive .
That's interesting, to say the least. Makes sense that they would like more sun time in the evening for using their product.

How was it 'impressive"?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Well duh. You get more daylight hours later in the day when it is Warmer and that helps melt the snow Faster.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
That's interesting, to say the least. Makes sense that they would like more sun time in the evening for using their product.

How was it 'impressive"?
It was their #1 legislative priority back then and I just recall that their presentation about it was impressive. But it didn't work!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #39
Executive Chef

I always heard it was so the farmers could stay out in their fields longer. There aren't many farmers like there used to be. When I was a kid I liked staying out playing longer. Now that I'm old, I go to bed early and want it to be dark. I do not spend a lot of time outdoors because of allergies. As soon as things start blooming my nose starts to run and my eyes start to water. Maybe it's my imagination, but I'm tired all the time during Daylight Saving Time.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It was their #1 legislative priority back then and I just recall that their presentation about it was impressive. But it didn't work!
Thank you.