"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It was their #1 legislative priority back then and I just recall that their presentation about it was impressive. But it didn't work!

So you're saying all these years later the government still can't get it right?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
So you're saying all these years later the government still can't get it right?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I always look for 'who benefits' when something is passed into law. Many laws make sense (stop signs for just one instance). But this one???? No.

Don't tell me I have to search back in the archives of .gov to see who lobbied for this! The domain .gov is SO cumbersome that it might take me years.
Don't bother as its not that important. Just stop with knowing its stupid and backwards.
I am serious about backwards. So serious, I would approve of daylight savings time in the winter when we actually could use a another hour or two of sunlight in the evening.
Seems someone had a good idea, but someone else that was not to bright did the scheduling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Just imagine the entire Continental US observing Washington DC time.
I can see one HUGE advantage. My friends in CA would not have to get up at 9 am on Sunday morning to watch a NFL football game on TV. The first NFL game each Sunday starts at 10 am on the west coast.
And the first college game would come on at 9:30 on Saturdays.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Historical reasons?
Why was it started?
Why do we continue with it IF there was a real reason for it?

I've read the history of it on the Internet but am still confused as to exactly WHY we still need it and still confused as why it was even started.

There are tales about DST being implemented in far history----- I'm talking about the DST that was started during our lifetime (or was already a fact of life for those who weren't born then.)

Here is one reason given:

"DST was first adopted to replace artificial lighting so they could save fuel for the war effort in Germany during World War I"

But---- but--- but----- wouldn't that just change the times when the home front used fuel, not reduce it? IOW----- use fuel in the A.M. vs the P.M. What am I missing?

Mother Nature still demanded the same amount of daylight for each latitude and could NOT be persuaded to change that.

O.K. please feel free to Fisk my post.

Fisking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DST during the Great War meant a longer working day for agricultural and other outdoor workers and, in theory, less use of gas and electricity for lighting homes and shops and office premises. It was introduced in the UK in 1916 with the Summer Time Act.

British Summer Time continued after the war until the second world war, when in 1940 it was decided to keep British Summer Time (one hour in advance of Greenwich Mean Time) in the winter and "Double Summertime" (ie two hours in front of GMT) for the duration of the war.

There was an attempt to re-instate this between 1968-71 but it wasn't popular and Parliament decided by a huge majority to abandon it. Greenwich Meantime +1 in the northern parts of Britain and Ireland meant that, for a substantial part of the winter, sunrise was as late as 10am and sunset was also very early. We lived in the north of England and our days were very short during the '68-'71 experiment and my father was told, off the record, by a local policeman that the dark mornings and dark afternoons had coincided with an increase in non-domestic child molestation offences.

One of the excuses currently used to support a return to GMT+1 is that the number of road accident fatalities fell during the 1968-71 experiment. However, the figures were skewed as the change to GMT+1 coincided with the introduction of more stringent drinking and driving legislation.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
The best time to stock up on Kingsford charcoal are during the major spring and summer holidays. They're usually close to half off on sale at most big box stores.
I think I still have about 80 lbs worth left in the garage from last summer's sale from Home Depot.
How odd. You'd think it would be cheaper in winter when fewer people have BBQs.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Don't bother as its not that important.
Sorry, I can't not bother.

"I have to understand the world, you see."
~ Richard Feynman

Although I don't even have a scintilla of his brain power, I still have to try. That's both my curse and my raison d'etre.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
DST during the Great War meant a longer working day for agricultural and other outdoor workers and, in theory, less use of gas and electricity for lighting homes and shops and office premises.
But---- but----but----- that just shifted daylight to the evening. Still 24 hours in a day, I believe.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
But---- but----but----- that just shifted daylight to the evening. Still 24 hours in a day, I believe.

Still 24 hours in a day and there is no change in the number of daylight hours in a day. However, with DST, when you get home from a long day of work in support of the war effort, there was daylight for you to do your housework so you didn't have to burn fuel that was in short supply.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
How odd. You'd think it would be cheaper in winter when fewer people have BBQs.
Many retailers will reduce prices in the fall just to get rid of their charcoal inventory.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #50
Executive Chef

If you don't want DST, move to Arizona. Just remember that you not only get the same time all year long, you also get the unholy trinity of Joe Arpaio, Jan Brewer, and John McCain!