Can anyone explain why we need Daylight Saving Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even so, pets don't read clocks. With DST it's dark later in the morning so they would be prone to sleeping later as well, based on the degree of darkness. i.e., if your pets sleep 10 hours during standard time, why wouldn't they sleep 10 hours during DST?

Even so, pets don't read clocks. With DST it's dark later in the morning so they would be prone to sleeping later as well, based on the degree of darkness. i.e., if your pets sleep 10 hours during standard time, why wouldn't they sleep 10 hours during DST?

Is that a trick question? :LOL: There were too many numbers in that question for me (a math failure) to even begin to answer! But I did add 10 and 10 together and got 20 with the help of my fingers and toes. :)

Just in:

" (Reuters) - Switching over to daylight saving time, and losing one hour of sleep, raised the risk of having a heart attack the following Monday by 25 percent, compared to other Mondays during the year, according to a new U.S. study released on Saturday....
I found another bit of glum news that is apparently attributed to switching back and forth from DST: Daylight Saving Time Spring 2014: Why Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving A snippet:

...DST has adverse effects on the American workplace.

"Following [the start and end of DST], employees slept 40 min less, had 5.7% more workplace injuries, and lost 67.6% more work days because of injuries than on non phase change days,"...

While doodling a little googling I ran across ^that^ article about no DST in AZ. As a funny aside, our son went to college there. When he asked why they didn't observe it he was told they didn't want more sunlight because it was too danged hot already! :LOL: He said if he was up late he would see joggers on the street getting their runs in before sunrise...sometimes out there beating the pavement at 3 AM or so. He'd also hear lawn mowers kick off early in the morning - it had to be done during the coolest part of the day. Why? It's a desert! Don't even try to grow grass unless you're a golf course. And golf courses in a desert climate are a whole 'nuther topic! :LOL:

CG related:
" would see joggers on the street getting their runs in before sunrise"

In Albuquerque (and probably other hot cities) the malls would be open for people to jog/walk their daily exercise in air conditioned comfort.

I think a lot of malls do that no matter where they are. I worked at a mall south of Cleveland; we had a Mall Walkers Club that could access the mall as early as 8:00AM, but the stores didn't open until 10. Also, a cousin in Allentown goes walking with his buddy most mornings, then they stop for coffee when the mall restaurants open up. I'm going to guess that malls do that less for the comfort and convenience of walkers than to get you to window shop and, ultimately, buy stuff. :brows:

I think a lot of malls do that no matter where they are. I worked at a mall south of Cleveland; we had a Mall Walkers Club that could access the mall as early as 8:00AM, but the stores didn't open until 10. Also, a cousin in Allentown goes walking with his buddy most mornings, then they stop for coffee when the mall restaurants open up. I'm going to guess that malls do that less for the comfort and convenience of walkers than to get you to window shop and, ultimately, buy stuff. :brows:

Gee, ya think? :LOL:

Why is the loss of an hour of sleep an automatic assumption? Unless you've set an alarm clock to wake you at a set time every Sunday morning, there's no reason you can't sleep until you wake naturally. If you wake up naturally an hour earlier, you can't blame that on DST.
Not everyone has the luxury of being about to wake naturally Sunday morning. My kids have religious school that we need to wake up for. If it were not religious school it would be something else (sports, acting, dance, whatever). We have to set an alarm Sat night and get up early Sunday always.

Not everyone has the luxury of being about to wake naturally Sunday morning...

GB, that's why I mentioned, "...Unless you've set an alarm clock to wake you at a set time... Some folks have to get up on a schedule. Y=They have the option of going to bead early.

If you live in Chicago and fly to Boston to visit friends, you lose an hour. No one cries about that hour. I just think DST gets more bad press than it warrants.

Sorry Andy. I must not have seen that part. However, going to bed early still = a lost hour.

I am sure there are many people in Chicago who have never been out of Chicago. They have the option of going to Boston or not going to Boston. Not the same with DST. As for no one crying about losing that hour from travel, just what are you basing that on? Plenty of people complain about that. You might not notice it the same way since not everyone is traveling the same day so not everyone is experiencing the loss all together at once, but trust me, people most certainly do complain about losing time when traveling.

Personally, I have zero issues with DST. It does not bother me one bit. I could take it or leave it.

I promise the hour you lost in the Spring will magically reappear in the Fall. Every year.
That was driven into my brain hard when I worked nigh shifts at a convalescent hospital. You got paid for eight hours for a shift from 23h30 to 07h30, even on the DST nights. So in Spring you got eight hours pay for seven hours work and in Autumn you got paid eight hours for nine hours work. After the first time I worked that shift in fall, I made sure that I always had that day off in Fall and worked it in Spring.

That was driven into my brain hard when I worked nigh shifts at a convalescent hospital. You got paid for eight hours for a shift from 23h30 to 07h30, even on the DST nights. So in Spring you got eight hours pay for seven hours work and in Autumn you got paid eight hours for nine hours work. After the first time I worked that shift in fall, I made sure that I always had that day off in Fall and worked it in Spring.

Exactly! Only in my case it was a twelve hour shift and putting in 13 hours was painful...

Me too, Ross and Russ. ( :ermm:You guys could be a law firm...:LOL: ) I know what MY solution is to get more light in the evening, but I've been drawing out the process of getting this MA house up for sale and heading back to OH. The sunset difference between here and there is 40 minutes! It's so nice to see a sunset occurring after 9:00 PM...

As someone with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Daylight Savings Time makes me a happy girl and the time change for more daylight is one my favorite days of the year. The worse day is when it changes back in the fall.

Me too, Ross and Russ. ( :ermm:You guys could be a law firm...:LOL: ) I know what MY solution is to get more light in the evening, but I've been drawing out the process of getting this MA house up for sale and heading back to OH. The sunset difference between here and there is 40 minutes! It's so nice to see a sunset occurring after 9:00 PM...

I can be Denny crane,lol.

I too love the sun, winter I detest, I think it's the Suns Ray's boost your body. I like being out in the garden at 9 pm at night. With full light. Winter I tend to do what the Bears do. How people live with snow is beyond me. :)

Russ aka Denny ;)

Back
Top Bottom